Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Spring 2012 10.2 - Space Out

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (new)

Liz M 10.2 - Space Out
In celebration of First Contact Day (April 5th), the day Vulcans establish first contact with humanity, and Towel Day (May 25th), a day when fans carry a towel with them to demonstrate their love for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Read a book that features space travel.

message 2: by Christin (new)

Christin (lunaratu) | 267 comments Would The Dispossessed: An Ambiguous Utopia count? It takes place on a particular world but includes some space travel as part of a federation of planets

message 3: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Christin wrote: "Would The Dispossessed: An Ambiguous Utopia count? It takes place on a particular world but includes some space travel as part of a federation of planets"

Yes, the protagonist travels from one planet to another.

message 4: by Christin (new)

Christin (lunaratu) | 267 comments Liz M wrote: "Christin wrote: "Would The Dispossessed: An Ambiguous Utopia count? It takes place on a particular world but includes some space travel as part of a federation of planets"

Yes, the pr..."

Ooh, awesome! I know what I'm reading now for this challenge ^_^

message 5: by Connie (new)

Connie | 214 comments I'm a bit stumped on this one - does anyone have recommendations for me? I generally prefer classic sci-fi or non-sci-fi, if that helps narrowing the choices down.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments If I get to this task, I'll be reading From the Earth to the Moon. That's not a recommendation as I haven't read it, but I figure it's Jules Verne ...

message 7: by Liz M (last edited Mar 12, 2012 08:52AM) (new)

Liz M I think most of these would work (haven't read them all):

The Dispossessed: An Ambiguous Utopia by Ursula K. Le Guin
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
Foundation by Isaac Asimov?
Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach
The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe
2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) | 859 comments Connie wrote: "I'm a bit stumped on this one - does anyone have recommendations for me? I generally prefer classic sci-fi or non-sci-fi, if that helps narrowing the choices down."
These are 2 I would highly recommend.

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

Methuselah's Children Robert A. Heinlein

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) | 859 comments I forgot for some old, space opera type sci fi, try E. E. "Doc" Smith's Triplanetary: A Tale of Cosmic Adventure

message 10: by Christin (new)

Christin (lunaratu) | 267 comments I'd also recommend:

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin
Silently and Very Fast by Catherynne M. Valente

both of these were absolutely amazing so I'd recommend them no matter what(I'm also planning to read The Dispossessed: An Ambiguous Utopia for the challenge)

The Word for World is Forest by Le Guin would probably also work as it depicts the same interstellar travel as in The Dispossessed and The Left Hand of Darkness

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) | 859 comments For those not aware of it, C. S. Lewis of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe fame, also wrote a sci fi trilogy. The first one would fit this challenge.
Out of the Silent Planet The 2nd one while involving travel to another planet doesn't use a space ship to get there and the third takes place on earth and doesn't fit this category.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (lit_chick_77) | 341 comments Light by M. John Harrison would fit this task.
My husband's tearing through tons of Star Wars novels, so if you're not up for the hard stuff, those fit too.

message 13: by Connie (new)

Connie | 214 comments Thanks for the help! Some of these look really interesting!

message 14: by Joanna (last edited Mar 14, 2012 09:43AM) (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1364 comments I just read and enjoyed The Sparrow and am now reading the sequel Children of God. These also get combo points for 20.6 since the main character is a Jesuit priest and the sequel fits 10.8 as well.

message 15: by Tien (last edited Mar 22, 2012 03:40PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2415 comments It surpised me but I loved Vatta's War series by Elizabeth Moon. I, originally, picked it up for a challenge and really wasn't expecting to like it at all but I LOVE it! Pretty much the whole thing is set in space :)

I think first book is Trading in Danger

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.