Indie Book Club discussion

Water-Seer (The Will of the Elements, #2)
This topic is about Water-Seer
Currently Writing > The Will of the Elements, Book 2: Water-Seer

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sky (last edited Feb 26, 2012 11:41AM) (new)

Sky Corbelli | 114 comments Nearly finished with Book 2 of The Will of the Elements, and I think it's coming along pretty nicely. Here's the prologue, in case anyone's interested:

Burning to Please

“I'm tired of going over this,” Valerie Estavon rolled her eyes and tossed her idly curling hair in irritation. “There was barely enough time after the attack for anyone to reach the door, much less escape altogether. So I'm asking you again: who tried to kill me and where did they go?”

Stephen cringed. It was going to be one of those days. “I swear to the Mother and all the Elements, I've told you everything I know.” His voice cracked in fear. “There were three of them. They knocked me out. When I woke up, they asked me some questions about the fire. That's all I remember, you have to believe me!” He cast a desperate look at the gorgeous fire-kissed, leader of the Besmirched and powerful beyond his understanding, and winced. She was toying with one of the knives that Velor had set out. That was never a good sign. He gulped and bulled ahead. “I-it's just like I said. I was bleary from being kicked in the head, and I didn't see everything clearly, b-but the three of them just huddled together and then they were gone.”

“Stephen, honestly,” Val chided him, the flickering light from the torches playing shadow games across her fair features. “The story about a door in the air? Again?” She shook her head, pursing her perfect lips and sighing. The burning torches dimmed as she glanced up at the early morning light coming through the window high on the wall. From outside, the clanks and whirs of the city of Eastpoint waking up to a new day began to fill the air. “I'm very disappointed in you, Stephen. A month and a half in my care, and still we have nothing to show for it.” Val made a disapproving sound as she played absently with the gleaming knife. “After what you did back in Helena, I really expected so much more.” She held out the wicked little blade with another sigh. Velor stepped out from the shadows, taking it with a small bow, his cadaverous face stretching into a smile. Long, spindly fingers traced the length of the blade as he waited patiently for the inevitable.

“No, wait!” Stephen cried out, refusing to look at the man. I have to pretend like he isn't there, he thought desperately, wracking his brain for something to keep Val's attention. As long as she's interested, she won't let him- No! Don't remember that! Can't remember... “I-I've just remembered! They, um, they were upset about something. Yes! Something that they saw when they were watching your procession. And... and the dark one, he called the girl... Susan, no, Sally... Sarah!” He licked his lips, eyes darting to the tray of meticulously arranged tools then back to Val's golden eyes, practically glowing with compassion. Just need to keep her talking, his mind raced for something to say. Sooner or later, she'll leave, and the longer she talks, the less time she has for me. “H-he wanted the girl to see something. And... and, I don't know, I remember something about a sanctuary or weapons-”

“Velor, I'm afraid that's all we'll get out of him today,” Val shook her head sadly, cutting him off. Stephen's face paled as he tried to think of something, anything that would keep her attention. “I just don't know what to do with you, Stephen. I've tried everything.” She took a dainty step around the table and gently caressed his face.

“P-please,” he whimpered, staring into her eyes hopelessly. “I don't know what you want from me.”

“Just the truth, dear one,” Val cooed, delicately brushing a stray lock of hair back from his face. “I want know what you saw, and I want to know why you're holding back.” She smiled winsomely at him, then continued, in the exact same tone of voice. “Velor, please start with something hot. Maybe if we give him a bit to build on, he'll show us something new.”

“No no no, please,” Stephen struggled weakly against the bonds on his arms and legs as Val backed away, an apologetic smile on her lips. He watched in horror as the knife began glowing a dull, sullen orange in Velor's hand. In desperation, he called to the heat in the room, tried to fight back, to get free, anything. Val's will clamped down on his attempt like a vise, stopping him cold.

“Yes, that's good,” Val encouraged him softly. “Just show me a glimmer of the power that burned out that little valley, and I promise that I'll take you back to my bed, just like when we started.” She glanced to the window and pouted fetchingly. “No gag today, Velor. It's so nice outside.” Val sighed gently, eyes returning to Stephen. “And I want everyone to hear his lovely voice.”

message 2: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeffrey Poole (authorjmpoole) | 2287 comments Mod
Sounds great, Sky! Can't wait for this one to come out!!

message 3: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott (bookblogger) | 1315 comments Mod
I'm also looking forward to this book.

message 4: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 114 comments How do you pick a fight with a thunder-struck?

(view spoiler)

message 5: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sounds really cool, Sky! Any eta on when it'll be released?

message 6: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 114 comments Looking like early April... unless I discover that the second half of the book magically has no typos and reads like warm honey on a fresh muffin, then sooner!

message 7: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'll have my fingers crossed for you, but unfortunately I know book editing never goes that smoothly. :)

message 8: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 114 comments Sigh... well, I finished editing, but decided that I didn't like anything about five of the chapters near the end (for those not in the know, I'm a big fan of short chapters so I can pile on the cliffhangers, and so there's always a logical breaking point in the near future, no matter where you are in the book).

Looks like I have some re-writing to do... I should add lasers. Everything goes better with lasers. And plasma! Oh, and psychopathic water-seer assassins! Man, this is just getting better and better...

message 9: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy I just finished Wind-Scarred and loved the HELL out of! Really spectacular. And when I reached the last page, I actually yelled "Nooooo! " I can hardly wait to read the next one!

If you need a beta reader or proofer or anything, I would be thrilled to help. :D

message 10: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 114 comments Amy wrote: "I just finished Wind-Scarred and loved the HELL out of! Really spectacular. And when I reached the last page, I actually yelled "Nooooo! " I can hardly wait to read the next one!

If you need a b..."

Glad you liked it! I'm doing my second read-through of book 2 now, then it needs to go into alpha testing (ie, having my wife read it), and it should be ready for beta reading soon after that. I'll be sure to post here in case anyone is interested.

message 11: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy great! I'll keep an eye out! :)

message 12: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 114 comments Well, that book's done. Final word count, 129,556, a full 20% longer than Wind-Scarred. My wife will be editing it once she's done with the cover, so I'll probably be looking for beta readers by next weekend (assuming Tera Online doesn't consume my life completely, like it did last weekend...).

message 13: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 114 comments Okay, the book has been edited, but don't worry, I'm sure there are still errors. Anyone out there interested in beta reading Water-Seer? Bonus points if you tear it a new one.

Also, anyone know a Nook-er? I'm prepping both book 1 and 2 to be released on the B&N marketplace and want to test out my formatting... so there's a free copy of both books in it for some guinea pigs of the Nook persuasion.

message 14: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott (bookblogger) | 1315 comments Mod
I'd love a chance at beta reading, but I'm a kindle guy so I can't help with that.

message 15: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy I have a nook and kindle and I would be willing to read, critique, proof, whateva. :)

message 16: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have my iPad with Kindle, Kobo, Nook, and a few other apps, as well as my wife has an actual Nook I can use.

That's if the offer is still open!

Big J

message 17: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 114 comments Send me a message with your preferred method of receiving the book (email, dropbox, etc.), and I'll get you a kindle readable copy today (once I have the most up-to-date cover art from my wife). I'll get the other formats out shortly thereafter.

message 18: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new) - rated it 5 stars

Got the book loaded, Sky. Looks great so far! Thanks again!

message 19: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 114 comments Here're some updates, I've heard back from over half my beta readers and haven't seen a new error/correction in the last 2, so I think I'm on track to release this weekend!

Real quick though, here's what I'm playing around with for the blurb, tell me what you think!

Ciela de Leon never wanted attention. It's a pity no-one asked her.

After an unexpected graduation from her apprenticeship at the Temple of Life, she's been forced to set out on her pilgrimage to become a water-seer. But when something precious is stolen from her, she has no choice but to fall in with a group of terrifying mercenaries to get it back. And if that wasn't bad enough, she may just be falling in love with a mysterious warrior who knows far too much about life and death. There's also the off chance that she's destined to save the world.

In this exciting sequel to Wind-Scarred, Ciela must fight to discover the secrets hidden just beneath the surface, or be washed away in the tides of fate. Time is running out...

message 20: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 114 comments Okay, the book has been released for the Kindle, book 1 and 2 to be released for other ereaders later this month. Now... on to book 3...