Schneider Family Book Award discussion

Welcome and intros

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (mombo1) | 42 comments Mod
Welcome to this group aimed at discussing children's and teen books that relate to the disability experience and therefore may qualify for the Schneider Family Book Award.

My interest stems from my work at a state school for the deaf. I've been a teacher of the deaf for about 15 years now, most recently becoming the librarian at my school last year. I'm interested to know where others are from and if there is a specific reason for your interest in literature related to disabilities.

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 3 comments Hi, I am Danielle and I live in Portland, Oregon. I am a grad student working on getting my MLIS at University of Washington (online). My initial interest stems from having a sister with cerebral palsy, and how much literature has meant to me seeing her experience explored in books for youth. I am also interested in how library outreach programs can better serve both youth and adults with cognitive and learning challenges, and even though it is a year away, I am considering doing something around this for my capstone project.

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessmonster) I just have a mild obsession with book awards, and I'm a children's librarian (I order children's fiction and YA). I enjoy discussing what's out there for these ages, and find that the Schneider often highlights fascinating stories that don't get much attention otherwise.

message 4: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 4 comments I'm a faculty member at Indiana University and a member of the Schneider jury. I won't be able to add much to the discussion, but I will be lurking to see what additional books you think we should consider.

message 5: by Nancy (new)

I'm so thrilled to see this group growing!

message 6: by Katy (new)

Katy Pye (pyewriter) | 5 comments Hi,

I'm a YA author who, fingers crossed, will have my debut novel Elizabeth's Landing up at Amazon and available as a paperback mid- April. My main character's grandfather and best friend both have disabilities - one emotional/medical, one mobility.

Thank you for starting this group.

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Good luck, Katy!

Katy wrote: "Hi,

I'm a YA author who, fingers crossed, will have my debut novel Elizabeth's Landing up at Amazon and available as a paperback mid- April. My main character's grandfather and best friend both ha..."

message 8: by Katy (new)

Katy Pye (pyewriter) | 5 comments Thanks, Nancy. It's very exciting and just a bit scary!

I want to expand my response to your introductory comment. Part of my reason for including a young person living with a disability in my novel is my family has worked and advocated for people with disabilities since the late 19th century. These included the deaf, blind, and developmentally disabled. Not a disability, but the issues of the aging are also a focus, particularly of my Uncle's. I'm sure his efforts-and our long relationship-are included in my decision to make Elizabeth's Landing a multi-generational tale.

Again, thanks for recognizing the need for more books that help young readers understand themselves, and perhaps those they see as the "other."

message 9: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Just found this group & am reading through the archives - I currently work as a youth services library assistant (but have my MLIS, so my eventual goal is to be a children's or YA librarian) and have a background in disability literature and theory so the Schneider Family Book Awards have always interested me. I try to keep up with what wins, and eventually would be interested in serving on the jury.

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Kensinger-Klopfer | 2 comments Nancy wrote: "Welcome to this group aimed at discussing children's and teen books that relate to the disability experience and therefore may qualify for the Schneider Family Book Award.

My interest stems from m..."

Thank you Nancy!

message 11: by Nancy (new)

Natalie wrote: "Just found this group & am reading through the archives - I currently work as a youth services library assistant (but have my MLIS, so my eventual goal is to be a children's or YA librarian) and ha..."

Welcome, Natalie!