21st Century Literature discussion

Skippy Dies
This topic is about Skippy Dies
2012 Book Discussions > Skippy Dies - Hopeland (March 2012)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (last edited Mar 04, 2012 07:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deborah | 983 comments This is to discuss the first section of Skippy Dies.

Deborah | 983 comments I'm curious about whether anyone else sees the similarities between Henry in the Art of Fielding and Skippy. Is it all in my head?

Ellie (elliearcher) | 153 comments Well, if so, it was in my head too.

Although the books are very different, I found a similarity in tone and some of the characters-like you, in Arthur and Skippy. Funny since one is so Irish and one all midwest U.S., but maybe the boys school (and even though the college in Fielding is co-ed, the feel is very male) brings the two somewhat together.

Cees Bood | 9 comments The style resembles that of Niccolò Ammaniti: Baroque and despite the seriousness of the situations sometimes good for lots of laugh. Delicious book.

Deborah | 983 comments In chapter 7 or 8 there is discussion about amphibians and evolution. And I thought it was a metaphor in many ways for the evolutionary halfway point of adolescence.

The scene in Father Green's classroom is such a wonderful mix of so many things. It made me sad, and uncomfortable. I felt such empathy with Skippy. And still, I laughed!

Ellie (elliearcher) | 153 comments It was reminiscent (the feelings more than the details) of so many school experiences!

Sophia Roberts | 1324 comments Oh, I so agree. Very funny, but also - as Deborah says - sad and uncomfortable. I might add that I went to Boarding School so I can vouch for a lot of the experience related here and elsewhere in the book.

I am impressed by the quality of the dialogue in this novel. Murray has a real flair.

Ellie (elliearcher) | 153 comments The dialogue sounds so real-and yet so well-crafted. And the tone and rhythm for the different ages seems on the money as well. Not that I really know the sound of 14 year old boys but I do teach that age group & it seems close.

Cees Bood | 9 comments I`ve read Hopeland. I recognize many of my daily school practice (for instance the uncertainties in puberlife and cross-border behaviour). A good sketch of the sometimes bizarre school life.