Small Government Book Fan Club discussion

Heinlein Series

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eddie (new)

Eddie Novak (eddien) | 123 comments Mod
I've looked into this and didn't really get the answer I was looking for. Any suggestions on the order to read his FUTURE HISTORY books? Or any other series he has? Can I read them in any order?

message 3: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 263 comments I'd say you could read Heinlein in any order you like, as each tale can stand on its own. I can recommend 'The Menace From Earth'. Actually, I can recommend just about anything Heinlein wrote, but 'The Menace From Earth' remains one of my favorites.
"Starship Troopers' is a must.

message 4: by Eddie (new)

I've read STARSHIP TROOPERS. I've heard that you should read some Future History before reading TIME ENOUGH FOR LOVE. Masha's post cleared that up though.

message 5: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 263 comments I bring 'Podkayne Of Mars' up only because I haven't seen it mentioned yet. I enjoyed that story.

message 6: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 263 comments The characters, for the most part, and how some of them reacted to the circumstances they found themselves in. This was an old science fiction story, written before we knew much about the actual conditions on Venus, and as I understand it, the story was originally aimed at a YA audience. For all that, it's Heinlein, and a good, entertaining read.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 467 comments I'd also suggest Tunnel in the Sky and The Door into Summer. And if you can find it, Sixth or ColumnThe Day After Tomorrow (it's the same book released under two different titles). It's hard to find but good.

message 8: by Dale (new)

Dale Leschnitzer (nmbobblehead) | 2 comments The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a great future history book with an open Libertarian point of view. Great fiction as well. Read it before the holidays and it was very timely of current events.

message 9: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 263 comments Actually, I'd recommend just about everything that Heinlein ever wrote. Some of his later stuff seemed to have both lost and gained something, so it's not quite the same Heinlein as in 'Starship Troopers'. It's still a pretty good read though.

message 10: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 6 comments I love Heinlein. Actually one of my favorites is Citizen of the Galaxy which often gets overlooked. It really asks the question what is 'freedom' and what is 'slavery'.

message 11: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 263 comments Heinlein wrote so much material that some of it is bound to be 'overlooked'.
H. Beam Piper also has some good stories out there, including 'Little Fuzzy' and 'Lord Kalvan Of Otherwhen'.

message 12: by Eddie (new)

I read Citizen of the Galaxy first and enjoyed it enough. I would probably appreciate it more now. I think I do recall something about how mankind has a hard time escaping the institutions that treat humans like slaves even if in a less direct manner.

message 13: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 6 comments Yeah that is the other great thing about Heinlein is that you can read it multiple times and get something new from it each time lol.