What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Revelations
This topic is about Revelations
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Flu epidemic 1919 American horror short story [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 3 comments This story is centred around the doctor in a small American town who tries to treat people at the start of the flu epidemic, when no-one realises how widespread the epidemic is. I think at the end his wife, who he has been treating, has in fact been dead since almost the beginning of the story. I remember it being in a short story collection with another story about a man who lost his whole family in a car accident. He is an atheist and doesn't think they will ever be together again, but he sits in his garden under a cherry tree thinking about them and all of the blossom which has fallen onto the ground rises up and reattaches itself to the tree. They were both really good stories, but I've never come across them again - has anyone got any ideas?

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
What year did you read these?

message 3: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 3 comments Quite a while ago - I think about 10 years.

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments The cherry blossom story sounds like "Twilight Of The Dawn" by Dean Koontz. It's in his collection Strange Highways. I just looked at a description of all the stories on Wikipedia and the other story doesn't appear to be among them.

The Internet Speculative Fiction Database has a page on "Twilight of the Dawn" here. It's been published in several collections. I can't tell from the titles in the collections if your books is among them, but the titles or book covers might look familiar to you.

message 5: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments Maybe Nightscape Nightscape by David Morrell
There is a story about a smalltown doctor during 1918 flu outbreak.

Were there more than those two stories in the collection?

message 7: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 3 comments Thank you so much for your help - I will investigate all these and let you know!

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lorraine, was it anything mentioned?

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No response, moving to Abandoned.

GracieKat | 126 comments If it's not abandoned the book is called Revelations edited by Douglas E. Winter

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Sounds like it - one reviewer wrote, "The most stand-out story of the lot involves the Spanish Flu, and that is seriously revolting. The guy is helping at the hospital, but his wife meanwhile gets sick and dies. He goes a little crazy and keeps looking after her as if she's alive."

According to Worldcat the contents are:

Chiliad--a meditation. Part one. Men and sin / Clive Barker --
The big blow / by Joe R. Lansdale --
If I should die before I wake / by David Morrell --
Aryans and absinthe / by F. Paul Wilson --
Triads / by Poppy Z. Brite and Christa Faust --
Riding the black / by Charles Grant --
The open doors / by Whitley Strieber --
Fixtures of matchstick men and joo / by Elizabeth Massie --
Whatever / by Richard Christian Matheson --
Dismantling fortress architecture / by David J. Schow and Craig Spector --
The word / by Ramsey Campbell --
Chiliad--a meditation. Part two. A moment at the river's heart / Clive Barker --
The end : an afterword / by Douglas E. Winter.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Moving this to Solved. This anthology was requested once before, here:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...