Addicted to YA discussion

Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
This topic is about Eragon
397 views
Series > Eragon

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - added it

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5211 comments Mod
Thoughts?


Stephanie (hotpinklady420) I loved this book a lot more than I thought I would. Reminds me a bit of Lord of the Rings but the connection between Eragon and his dragon is beautiful. The action kept me turning the pages and I would recommend anyone that likes Lord of the Rings and anything like it.


Lexi (readinglush) I really liked this book. I thought the amount of detail was wonderful and I felt apart of that world. I had to get the next ones!


Anna | 300 comments Yes, Eragon is a great series-I love the scene where Saphira hatches! There is a bit in Book 2 which I found tedious but then Paolini started the novels when he was 16 so I figure he's entitled to get some things wrong. After that point it picks up and the narrative is much stronger though the galloping about from place to place is a bit sometimes! Both my kids have loved it too. Such a shame about the film- Saphira's voice was dreadful.


Zohal AWESOMELY AND EPICLY EPIC


message 6: by Ela (last edited Mar 25, 2012 03:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela I love this series, Im waiting for number four to come out in paperback so I can buy it.
When Saphira hatched I was just sitting there going 'Awwwwwwwww...', it was so loverly!
The main thing I hate about the film is the fact that they screw up the relationship between Saphira and Eragon.
They make it one where Eragon is in charge and Saphira has to do what he says because he is they rider. That is just WRONG! I love the fact that in the book when Saphira thinks Eragon is doing something stupid she just sits down and tells him he's an idiot, lets face it he is only a teenager so someone has to do that once in a while.


message 7: by cy (new) - rated it 4 stars

cy lol true, the movie was bad, both the Percy Jackson and Eragon movies need fixing, they left out too many parts for a sequel, though I hear they're making one!


Anna | 300 comments Eragon or Jackson?


Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 457 comments Anna wrote: "Eragon or Jackson?"

At least a very small part of Jackson stayed true to the book. Eragon was so pathetic. Paolini must have sobbed himself to sleep when he saw that final fight scene. In the book it was so well orchestrated, it was actually like you were there!! Though I don't like blood and gore too much so the vivid imagining was a little disturbing but it was real. More real when that miserable excuse for a film had the same scene in front of my eyes..
So the PJo movie was better. And yes that's a sentence I never thought I would say..


message 10: by cy (new) - rated it 4 stars

cy Anna wrote: "Eragon or Jackson?"

both are getting a sequel when the first movie had too many parts left out :/


message 11: by cy (new) - rated it 4 stars

cy Perfection wrote: "Anna wrote: "Eragon or Jackson?"

At least a very small part of Jackson stayed true to the book. Eragon was so pathetic. Paolini must have sobbed himself to sleep when he saw that final fight scene..."


lol me either, me either


Kortni | 21 comments I love eragon


message 13: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccaa57) | 69 comments My brother is in love with this series, but hes a 10 year old boy, so I don't always trust his book judgment. (ex. he told me I should read Captain Underpants.)
Do you think I, as someone who loves YA, would like this book?


Mollie | 371 comments Yes!!! I've been in love with the Inheritance Series for a while. I waited three years for Inheritance to come out!! I've reread them so many times...haha. I fell in love with the books, and the world and characters Christopher Paolini created. I recommend it, Becca.


message 15: by Jack (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jack | 113 comments Becca wrote: "My brother is in love with this series, but hes a 10 year old boy, so I don't always trust his book judgment. (ex. he told me I should read Captain Underpants.)
Do you think I, as someone who loves..."

Why not? It's a good book. You might want to start trusting his judgment a bit more often :P

Also, you obviously haven't read the Captain Underpants books. They're fantastic.


Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 457 comments Jack wrote: "Becca wrote: "My brother is in love with this series, but hes a 10 year old boy, so I don't always trust his book judgment. (ex. he told me I should read Captain Underpants.)
Do you think I, as som..."


Hahahaha!!!!! I read one of them. It was funny.


message 17: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nikki Sojkowski (nikkisoj) | 1543 comments Mod
Wait they're making a sequel to Eragon?!? But that movie was filmed like 10 years ago! Why would they make a sequel now? They already screwed up the first movie bad enough to make people avoid the sequel!!


Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 457 comments Nikki wrote: "Wait they're making a sequel to Eragon?!? But that movie was filmed like 10 years ago! Why would they make a sequel now? They already screwed up the first movie bad enough to make people avoid the ..."

They're making one on Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters too..... There is money in the world to be made my friend.


message 19: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nikki Sojkowski (nikkisoj) | 1543 comments Mod
Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* wrote: "Nikki wrote: "Wait they're making a sequel to Eragon?!? But that movie was filmed like 10 years ago! Why would they make a sequel now? They already screwed up the first movie bad enough to make peo..."

Yeah I already knew about the Percy jackson movies but that's not to surprising since the first only came out a year or 2 ago. But thy made the Eragon movie so bad an didn't really leave room for a sequel why even bother?


message 20: by Ela (last edited Jun 06, 2012 04:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela THey are making another Eragon film?!? who the hell thought that was a good idea.
With PJ I can at least see it has the Hollywoood movie style that may warrant a sequel; but Eragon was just terrible!

I'm not particularly fond of the Alex Rider books, but I thought the movie was quite good; why didn't they do a sequel to that instead!


Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 457 comments Ela wrote: "THey are making another Eragon film?!? who the hell thought that was a good idea.
With PJ I can at least see it has the Hollywoood movie style that may warrant a sequel; but Eragon was just terribl..."


I haven't seen it. But frankly, Eldest shouldn't have a movie any more than Inkspell[2nd book of Inkheart] does. Are they planning on amovie for that too? Coz the first movie infuriated me.
PJO wasn't true to the book but if I watched it without reading the book it would have been ok. Not great but fine.


Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 457 comments Nikki wrote: "Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* wrote: "Nikki wrote: "Wait they're making a sequel to Eragon?!? But that movie was filmed like 10 years ago! Why would they make a sequel now? They already screwed up t..."

Why do you say they didn't leave room for a sequel?


message 23: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (last edited Jun 10, 2012 05:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nikki Sojkowski (nikkisoj) | 1543 comments Mod
Well it's was all like 'yay we beat durza and are going to live happily ever after with the Varden and Ayra will continue to travel between us and the elves!' instead of 'omg I have a huge scar on my back and need to find out who is the cripple who is whole?!? To the Elves on our next adventure!' (cause Eragon and Shaphira TOOOOTALLY think and talk like that hahaha)


message 24: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* wrote: "Ela wrote: "THey are making another Eragon film?!? who the hell thought that was a good idea.
With PJ I can at least see it has the Hollywoood movie style that may warrant a sequel; but Eragon was ..."


I agree with you about the Inkheart film, it was a bit of a let down.


Elisabeth Wheatley | 5 comments I struggled to finish this book. It moved at a continent's pace and though it had some fun episodes, it was a challenge.

However, by some witchcraft, I am obsessed with this series. I loved Eldest and Brisingr and I was one of those crazy people who pre-ordered Inheritance, and then showed up moments after the bookstore opened to claim my prize!


message 26: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nikki Sojkowski (nikkisoj) | 1543 comments Mod
Elisabeth wrote: "I struggled to finish this book. It moved at a continent's pace and though it had some fun episodes, it was a challenge.

However, by some witchcraft, I am obsessed with this series. I loved Eldes..."


I was so Excited for that book to come out! My friend preorder it and I had to wait till he AND his little sister finished before I could read it! :/ worst month of my LIFE they read so slow! Hahaha


message 27: by Ela (last edited Jun 07, 2012 05:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Nikki wrote: "Elisabeth wrote: "I struggled to finish this book. It moved at a continent's pace and though it had some fun episodes, it was a challenge.

However, by some witchcraft, I am obsessed with this ser..."


still havn't got it, waiting for it to come out in paperback so I can buy it; it is torture!!!!


message 28: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nikki Sojkowski (nikkisoj) | 1543 comments Mod
Ela wrote: "Nikki wrote: "Elisabeth wrote: "I struggled to finish this book. It moved at a continent's pace and though it had some fun episodes, it was a challenge.

However, by some witchcraft, I am obsessed..."


Can't you just borrow it from someone or check it out of a library?


Elisabeth Wheatley | 5 comments Nikki wrote: "Ela wrote: "Nikki wrote: "Elisabeth wrote: "I struggled to finish this book. It moved at a continent's pace and though it had some fun episodes, it was a challenge.

However, by some witchcraft, I..."


Our local library doesn't get books on the release date. Besides, I already had the other three books and Paolini himself was coming to a signing in town...what choice did I have?

But we were talking about Eragon.


message 30: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Nikki wrote: "Ela wrote: "Nikki wrote: "Elisabeth wrote: "I struggled to finish this book. It moved at a continent's pace and though it had some fun episodes, it was a challenge.

However, by some witchcraft, I..."


They would prbably have it by now but i feel i've waited this long so....


Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 457 comments Ela wrote: "Nikki wrote: "Ela wrote: "Nikki wrote: "Elisabeth wrote: "I struggled to finish this book. It moved at a continent's pace and though it had some fun episodes, it was a challenge.

However, by some..."


That's sad... It's a nice book. Saphira is epic!


Cassandra Giovanni | 331 comments I enjoyed the author's writing. I thought it was very clear and concise, but I've been reading a lot of threads lately that say he "copied" a lot of the ideas from other authors like Tolkien. I've never been able to finish a Tolkien novel once I started it, so I have nothing to go on, but what I have read. Has anyone else seen such similarities?


Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 457 comments Cassandra wrote: "I enjoyed the author's writing. I thought it was very clear and concise, but I've been reading a lot of threads lately that say he "copied" a lot of the ideas from other authors like Tolkien. I've ..."

I'm not sure but as far as I can tell, Paolini has taken a different premise. Inheritance is at the heart of it the story of a boy. And LOTR is... more like Star Trek I've always felt.


message 34: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (last edited Jul 05, 2012 03:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nikki Sojkowski (nikkisoj) | 1543 comments Mod
I don't think Inheritence is like LoR at all really... I mean it's similar fantasy-wise with elves and dwarves but that's pretty muh where the similarity stops.

I was so excited today when I found signed copies of Eragon at Whitecoul's (some New Zealand bookstore that I probably didn't spell right) of course I bought a copy! Now I just need to buy Eldest and Inheritence :D


message 35: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Very, VERY good book. Makes me wish I were a Rider...


Cassandra Giovanni | 331 comments Nikki wrote: "I don't think Inheritence is like LoR at all really... I mean it's similar fantasy-wise with elves and dwarves but that's pretty muh where the similarity stops.

I was so excited today when I found..."


That's awesome! I would love a signed copy of any book I own. I haven't gotten one thus far though. I almost bought a signed copy of passion by Lauren Kate, but then didn't. I don't like the Fallen series all that much!


message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 16, 2012 05:07PM) (new)

I really loved this book! It is so good!
I am going to read Lord of the Rings this holidays (yes, shoot me if you want, I haven't read them yet!) so I will be interested to see if I can see the similarities. Agree with Mel, I want to be a Dragon Rider too :P


message 38: by An (new) - rated it 5 stars

An This book started my love for YA books! It was that good!


Daria (blame-the-nargles) I just read it over the break, and it was pretty good!! But I kinda found it hard to read at some points, because it was kinda slow and confusing. I find it's a LOT like Lord of the Rings!!! I haven't read those books, but I've seen the movies.
Like LOTR, it's just the names of things that confused me and stuff.


Christina  | 10 comments I love this book so much and I've read it at least 10 times and I was so excited for the movie and I almost cried because it was so awful. The part that really made me mad about the movies was when Brom said something about Eragon being 15 and Eragon gets all offended and says he's 17. THEY AGED HIM UP! In says right in the first chapter that Eragon is a 15 year old Farmboy from the outskirts of Carvahall. And none of the characters had their back stories. In the movie you don't know why the people hate their ruler. You don't know why Eragon hates sloan. It just seems like Eragon is giving the butcher attitude for no reason. They even left Eragon's cousin out. It made me so mad when I read the second book because he plays such a huge part. If I were the author of this book I would have yanked the movie rights out of the directors hands and sued over crimes to humanity.
Now about the actual book part, it was amazing. It was so well written and I fully think that this book is the definition of fantasy and this should go in the fantasy hall of fame. The characters are so real and you can almost feel Eragon's emotions. The scenery is so well described that it's hard to not to just put the book down and imagine what Eragon saw. No parts of the story were watered down or sugar coated and I really liked that. It made you think about what was going on more. And since the book has so much depth, every time I read it I understand more of it. I think it's a wonderful thing when an author can do that.


Daria (blame-the-nargles) I'm not even gonna bother watching the movie...I watched the trailer the other day and its looks HORRIBLE!! and plus my friend says it sucks, and she has read the book (and pretty much every other book on this planet) :P


message 42: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nikki Sojkowski (nikkisoj) | 1543 comments Mod
The movie is like the Percy Jackson movie, pretty good if you haven't read te book, but AWFUL if you have. The Urgls were just big humans, no horns or anything. I did NOT picture the shade Durza that way at all but everyone else's casting was fine. But they killed the ra'zac in the movie!!! And I don't think Roran was even in it... But he might have been I don't really remember.


message 43: by Annabel ♥ (new) - added it

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments Im trying to decide whether or not to read this book, I own it, but it doesn't seem like my type of book. But I really want to read it. Should I read it??


message 44: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nikki Sojkowski (nikkisoj) | 1543 comments Mod
Yes! This is one of my favorite books! Looking back on it now I think it's a bit easier to see that the writing quality IS a bit 15-year-old-ish but the 3rd and 4th books make it SOOO worth it! The fact that he was a Farmboy turned Dragon Rider is one of the reasons I love this book. He was so considerate and modest. His unknown parentage, Angela and Solebum (a werecat) and all the other interesting people and creatures make this a very good book! I also love the relationships between people and races I feel like it makes the book more relatable/real really even with it's completely fantasy approach.


Josephine (josephine_stein) I own this book and I've read it many times! The beginning was a strugle... but when I read more and more it went better and better!
It's sad that Brom dies...


message 46: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nikki Sojkowski (nikkisoj) | 1543 comments Mod
I don't suppose you could put that last bit in a spoiler alert like this? (view spoiler) so that you don't ruin the book for people who haven't read it yet!


message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I really liked them when I was younger but grew to strongly dislike them after I read more fantasy. they had some original moments but I find the whole thing basically pretty derivative and ho hum. He lost me after about book...three I suppose? All the plot complications felt kind of redundant to me...


message 48: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nikki Sojkowski (nikkisoj) | 1543 comments Mod
Michelle wrote: "I really liked them when I was younger but grew to strongly dislike them after I read more fantasy. they had some original moments but I find the whole thing basically pretty derivative and ho hum...."

He DID start writing them at like 15 or 16 though....


message 49: by Tony (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tony | 1 comments i loved this book so much. I basically read it in a cycle for a year (1-4 and repeat). when the last one came out, I took time to go back ad reread the first ones and i came to a realization i hadnt had before, it starts as very much a 15 yeard-olds book. it was interesting to read it after game of thrones and other masterfully written literature and see how possibly my favorite series of all time compared with them. it is still amazing, and i have LOADS of respect for mr. paolini for writting so well at 15.


message 50: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole (ntress24) | 3 comments I love it so far. It is well thought out considering he was 15 when he wrote the first draft


« previous 1
back to top