Addicted to YA discussion

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
This topic is about The Lightning Thief
Series > The Lightning Thief

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5279 comments Mod
Thoughts?

Stephanie (hotpinklady420) This was one series that I swore off.. Sounds retarded but I read A LOT of series and at times it becomes irritating (Like buying Forever and realizing Linger and Shiver were before it lol) But my fellow HP fan of a boyfriend insisted that I try it out and I am glad I did. I love anything dealing with mythology and action and this had both.

Plus just the whole thing with this being a regular kid thrust into chaos and learning things he never even imagined possible. HP fans should definitely check it out!

Alyce (At Home With Books) | 3 comments I've always avoided any stories to with mythology, but my husband bought this book for Christmas for me to read to our boys (ages 10 & 7) and all three of us loved it. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, and at how easily it has been teaching me about characters from Greek mythology. I did discover yesterday though that I've been pronouncing Chiron's name wrong the whole time. :)

message 4: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm reading this book now and I love it! I didn't think I'd like it since its from the view of a 12 year old but its pretty good.
I actually burst out laughing at some parts and then people turn and look at me funny but then I just start laughing harder because of their confused faces

Stephanie (hotpinklady420) Erika wrote: "I'm reading this book now and I love it! I didn't think I'd like it since its from the view of a 12 year old but its pretty good.
I actually burst out laughing at some parts and then people turn an..."

That was something I liked about it too.. Glad to hear you are lovng it!! :)

message 6: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 3 stars

I really liked the lightning thief but the only thing that bothered me was that Percy was twelve. He seemed so young to me even though he was only a few years younger than me. I wish I'd read it a couple years ago. I think that would have made me like it better.

Kaya Erika wrote: "I really liked the lightning thief but the only thing that bothered me was that Percy was twelve. He seemed so young to me even though he was only a few years younger than me. I wish I'd read it a ..."

Well, the thing about the series as a whole is that by the end of it, Percy's sixteen. I think that helps a bit to bridge any age gaps. In addition, in the next series (the Heroes of Olympus) things are definitely geared even more for the high school range. I don't know how old you are, but it definitely helped my appreciation for it.

Emily Blake (emilyblake) I've read and loved every single book in this series. Only now I'm kind of sick of it because my family owns the cds so my brothers play it constantly and it drives me nuts...but oh well :p

Jack | 113 comments I first read this series when I was 9 or 10, and I've always loved it.

Hannah (cloveshay) | 109 comments I've loved it since I finished the first book :)

message 11: by Ela (last edited Mar 16, 2012 05:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ela I love these books, I the way Rick Riodan makes the Greek Gods and traditions modern is hilarious, it constantly makes me laugh. I also love seeing the akwardness of liking someone and not really knowing what to do about it (that develops through the series) though a boy's eyes, it was so funny!
I can't wait until the new Heros of Olympus is released!! :)

message 12: by Mads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mads (madqueeen) Best series in the whole dang world, and I've read a bunch of series! I loved this book series so much that I've read it twice through and starting it up again soon. I definitely recommend it to everyone out there, including adults. A definite MUST READ.

Caron Rider | 46 comments I love the twist Rick Riodan put on mythology! I really enjoyed the Lightning Thief and was kind of irritated at the movie for making him older. But I understand they were trying for a certain audience. I enjoy how the characters grow throughout the series.

Samantha (samanthaofalaska) | 2 comments Caron wrote: "I love the twist Rick Riodan put on mythology! I really enjoyed the Lightning Thief and was kind of irritated at the movie for making him older. But I understand they were trying for a certain audi..."

I thought it was really, really annoying - it was directed by Chris Colombus (who did the first two Harry Potter movies) and he was fed up with filming 11 year olds, so they made Percy older. I think the movie could've been a lot better if he'd gone with the little ones. And then it could've actually been a franchise, like HP.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1248 comments I am honestly so happy that I have read the series. I've read them twice so far.
Considering that I'm also Greek, I found it amazing that he wrote about Greek Mythology, action, comedy, relationships, and giving the Greek Gods some character, because, I've read and heard about them from others, and obviously, we just learnt the facts. Their personality wasn't taught as much. So, it's something very new to me.
I love that he gave a new perspective on nature also, with Grover and the Satyrs.
Argh, I find it brilliant and really want to read the Mark of Athena.
Peace out homies. =]

Caron Rider | 46 comments Samantha wrote: "Caron wrote: "I love the twist Rick Riodan put on mythology! I really enjoyed the Lightning Thief and was kind of irritated at the movie for making him older. But I understand they were trying for ..."

That's what I thought too! :)

Samantha (samanthaofalaska) | 2 comments Caron wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Caron wrote: "I love the twist Rick Riodan put on mythology! I really enjoyed the Lightning Thief and was kind of irritated at the movie for making him older. But I understand they..."

But movie aside, I absolutely loved the series. I definitely recommend!

harriet (harriet64) THIS IS THE BEST BOOK SERIES EVER, this is a conversation between my and my mate

Emily: If Daniel ((my boyfriend)) was Percy Jackson, would you snog him?
Me: YESSSSSSSSSS
Emily: Ok...

lollllllll I LOVE HIM <3<3<3<£

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 9 comments Percy Jackson is awesome! I love how it's a refreshing and modern take on Greek mythology. I actually got into it after watching the movie. Even though I'm in my 20s, I still read and enjoy the series and about to finish it off with The Last Olympian.

Zohal this was an alright book

Malaika (adventuresofreading) | 7 comments This book and the series was ok

Sarah I've always liked mythology so I don't know why it took me so long to pick up this book. I loved it while I was reading it, but I guess it was the kind of story that didn't really stick with me because it's been several months and I still haven't picked up the next book in the series.

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments I read this book a while back but it was good. I have to start the sequels soon.

message 24: by cy (new) - rated it 5 stars

cy I love Rick Riordan. I love his humor. And I love these books. humor, action, romance (percabeth <3), mythology!! aah, best books

Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 457 comments Rick made mythology cool for a lot of people.... I knew the back stories of all the characters from the Greek pantheon but that didn't mean that he didn't turn and twist the truth without losing any of the original charm of the mythology. And percyyyyyy!!!!!!!!! Oh I love him!!!!!!!!!! The books get a lot better after this book though so when I reread this one it's fun to realize small clues that Rick planted right the 1st time..

message 26: by cy (new) - rated it 5 stars

cy he makes the stories relatable I think...

Cassie I really enjoyed this series. Rick Riordan knows his Greek mythology! I especially liked how he interpreted gods, demi-gods personalites based on their myths. This whole series kept me entertained from the characters to the action to even the chapter titles. What makes this series even more enjoyable is knowing that Percy came to life from a bedtime story Riordan created for his own son who truly has dyslexia. What a way to give a child encouragement that they can overcome. Love this series.

Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 457 comments Yeahhh... Rick is awesome that way.... And this way... And those ways... *starts counting the ways* this may take a while... <3

Jennifer Cassie wrote: "What makes this series even more enjoyable is knowing that Percy came to life from a bedtime story Riordan created for his own son who truly has dyslexia. What a way to give a child encouragement that they can overcome. Love this series."

Couldn't agree with you more. Not only was it started for a great reason, it's a wonderful series. I'm currently reading the Kane Chronicles, and I think they're entertaining as well.

Laura Anderson | 75 comments I loved that it was a quick, easy way to get caught up on Greek mythology- I actually recommended it to a friend of mine who was taking the GRE in Literature. :)

Caron Rider | 46 comments I loved Riordan's take on mythology and thought it was original and entertaining in the Percy Jackson series. I haven't gotten into the Kane Chronicles as much, but then I really haven't had much time to read. :(

Elizabeth Stuart (lizzystu) | 6 comments Erika wrote: "I'm reading this book now and I love it! I didn't think I'd like it since its from the view of a 12 year old but its pretty good.
I actually burst out laughing at some parts and then people turn an..."

I do that sometimes too! And my brothers will just look at my like I have lost my mind!

message 33: by cy (new) - rated it 5 stars

cy haha yes :)

message 34: by Ela (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ela Cassie wrote: "I really enjoyed this series. Rick Riordan knows his Greek mythology! I especially liked how he interpreted gods, demi-gods personalites based on their myths. This whole series kept me entertained ..."

Aw I din't know that. That's so sweet! <3

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 11 comments I just picked up this book on my nook ssurprised it was a lend me book.
Are they doing all the books as movies?

Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 457 comments Timothy wrote: "I just picked up this book on my nook ssurprised it was a lend me book.
Are they doing all the books as movies?"

Apparently yes. They've announced a movie for the second book. Lets see.

Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 457 comments Evelyn Grey *Shadowhunter* wrote: "WHAT!? they cant do that movie! first off: they actors are way! to old in the the first movie! second: thay dont have Clarisse! and third: annabell doesnt have blonde hair!"

Annabeth is blonde in this movie apparently.

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 11 comments Movie and books rarley go hand in hand great example interview with a vampire & queen of the damned. Though I did like the lightning thief the movie which prompted me to get the books.

Perfection *Sherlock's Girl* | 457 comments Timothy wrote: "Movie and books rarley go hand in hand great example interview with a vampire & queen of the damned. Though I did like the lightning thief the movie which prompted me to get the books."

Oh Anne Rice fan?

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 11 comments Yep.

Harmony | 13 comments I had to read this book for a book competition at my school called "battle of the books". It was amazing, so I continued on and read the rest of the books. I was upset when it was over.

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) I love this series. I'm hooked to Greek Mythology.

Katie Buchanan | 15 comments I loved this series and thus book!! The Movie was TERRIBLE though!!!!!! >.< It is like one of the best books I have read and really got me invested in Greek Mythology!

Kayterbug I just read the first one of the series and I fell in LOVE! I havent seen the movie yet though. Kinda Nerveous too.. I heard it sucked compared to the book.

message 45: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Schmitz-hertzberg | 6 comments Just read the book for the first time about a month ago... I'm hoping to get around to the rest of the series but their are soo many amazing books out there! The first book was pretty good... I hope others get better... Books seem to always improve..

message 46: by Melody (new)

Melody | 11 comments I love this, it's one of my favorite. I just didn't got time to rate all of them yet.

The movies about the first two books are done amazingly in my opinion. The second book dragged a bit at times but love the movie version.

I can't wait for the other movies to come out. Such a fresh way to introduce mythology again. Go Rick.

If you guys know of similar stories or series as the Percy Jackson series, please let me know.

message 47: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn I've officially read all the Percy Jackson and the Olympians and have the first 2 movies and I'm so hooked! Greek mythology is one if my favorite subjects and these books just made me extremely happy! I can't wait until they make the other movies . Rick Riordan is awesome!

MysticMemories I really like this series and heroes of Olympus as well. Rick Riordan did a great job of incorporating Greek mythology into a very interesting story. There is enough romance to keep things interesting, but not enough to distract from the overall theme of the book. I loved the characters. The one thing I hated was the cliffhangers in the heroes of Olympus series!!!

But then again, those were some of the best cliffhangers I have ever read.

message 49: by Jorbegozo (new)

Jorbegozo | 6 comments I read this years ago and now I'm officially addicted to the series hahaha Couldn't help but laugh when my classic culture teacher taught us that Ares was the GODDESS of war! I thought he would appear there and zap her or something

message 50: by Matthias (new) - added it

Matthias (darkapollo) Searching to read this book soon!

« previous 1