UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Book Recommendations > the Survival of Thomas Ford. John A A Logan

Comments Showing 1-50 of 152 (152 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments I finished this book a couple of days ago and it's one of those books that sticks with you. I have waxed passionate about it Over There in The Jungle so why not here, where I first came across it?
Thomas is the survivor of the car accident that killed his wife. Others were involved, causing him to veer off the road, and he is on a mission to find them.

There are all sorts of unsavoury characters in this book, some bad, some easily led, and the interaction between them gives rise to some very exciting moments.

One of the stars of the book is the Scottish Highlands, its mountains and forests, and the slightly supernatural feelings one can get in such places are part of the story.

Excellent - go on, read it. You know you want to!

message 2: by Pat () (new)

Pat ()  | 29 comments I do, I do, I have it pegged as the next in line!

message 3: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Thank-you very much Ignite! (And also for those dangerous expeditions you undertook over in The Jungle on behalf of my book!)

Thanks Pat, I hope you enjoy it!

I want to thank the Goodreads readers too, who have taken an interest in my book...last weekend there was a surge of sales that took the book to number 13/18/and 80, in 3 different Top 100 bestseller lists on Amazon...so THANK-YOU!
I had my 13th review turn up there last night too...but I mustn't be superstitious:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Survival-Thom...

My Goodreads page has some great feedback from readers now also, (thanks again!)
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

message 4: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments I've given you a mention as the first post on the March Indie Authors thread on Amazon's Meet Our Authors forum. It's a constant process of attrition - we'll wear them down yet John! I hope the flurry of sales is being maintained?

message 5: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Thank-you! I just put my safari helmet on (pith helmet?) and went over into The JUNGLE and had a look...the eerie thing is you describe that book better than I've ever been able to! Yes, I'm still in a couple of Top 100 lists today...so 6 days in "the charts" now...a record for me! And 90 new sales over the 6 days, which is again a record for me, but more important that's 90 new readers in 6 days, which is amazing really.

message 6: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments The thing is John, I'm describing it with fresh eyes that only saw it a week or so ago. You've had this in your head for, what, years?

Feel free to nick my description for promotional purposes!

Often though, an author can say, 'My book is about such and such, please read it,' and that's about it. A reader can say how good it is, confirm (or even deny) how it fills the author's intentions. I like to go by reader recommendatuions as much as author promos because you have both perspectives.

message 7: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Yes, it's five years now since I started work on that book...so it's taken a long time to get it out to readers!

I will put my helmet back on now and head back over to THE BUSH to do a copy/paste on your book description so that I have it safely stowed away for posterity (or, ahem, promo uses!)

message 8: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments Ah, you have my musing for posterior now? They will go down in the anals. (Yes, even many years later the undergrad humour surfaces now and again!)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Cling on to the old jokes, ignite.

message 10: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments It's all I have left at my age Patti (cue violins!)

message 11: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Ladies...I am deeply shocked...my sensitive nature has been set all a-quiver!
This reminds me of childhood days back on the farm, trying to understand the Dick Emery special when it came on TV at Christmas. "You are awful...but I like you" is a phrase that haunts me still...

message 12: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments Oh, you are a one! For the hauntings that is. :)

message 13: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Ah yes, even in the midst of channeling Dick Emery...or the "ooh err missus" of a Frankie Howerd...we are beset by phantoms...
("Titter ye not.")
All departed, yet returning, like a night visit from Poe's black bird itself...its beak tapping at the window...
"Nevermore" Quoth the Raven..."Nevermore"...
(!)
Ahem...Morning All!

message 14: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Just bought my copy,thank you John and Ignite.

message 15: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Thank-you Philip(sarah)...and thanks for letting me know, I hope you enjoy it!

message 16: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments Sarah and I have enjoyed many a book of the same genre - I'm fairly sure she will love this John.

message 17: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Terrific story John.I read 70% in one sitting and was totally engrossed.I had a wee problem with a couple of the hospital scenes but they have not spoiled my enjoyment of your book,can't wait to get back to it.

message 18: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Finished! Wow John what a great book.I enjoyed it so much I didn't want to put it down,I even hurried friends away so that I could get back to it.I have made a note to look at more of your work.Thank you.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I think that calls for the posting of the link again.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Survival-...

message 20: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments I knew you'd love it Sarah. It's a powerful book isn't it? I've been over to Amazon's MOA again this morning to pop it on a thread - thrillers maybe? I can't remember! I don't often get as enthused as this over a book but this one is something special.

message 21: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Thank-you very much Sarah! That's great Sunday morning news for me! Very happy to hear you enjoyed it so much, and great to hear from you like this too, right after you finished it!
Thanks again!
All best, John

Kay (Golden Girl) | 2286 comments I bought this book last night and finished it last night ,what a superb story John,I just could not put down,Inverness is my home town and I met my husband at a village dance in Drumnadrochit (1958) so it was all the more enjoyable knowing the area, the characters were all so interesting . Hope you have another book for us soon .Thank you John and also thanks to Sarah who brought this book to my attention

message 23: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Thank-you very much Kay!
Well...it's a small world...I'm typing this message to you from Inverness, I've lived here for most of the last 32 years. (I'm not giving away any secrets by disclosing that, there have been articles about me and the book in 3 Highland newspapers in the last 2 weeks, The Northern Times, The Highland News, and The Inverness Courier).
Also, my father was born just outside Drumnadrochit, and used to tell me about himself going to village dances in Drumnadrochit in the 1950s, with his brother!
It's a beautiful area.
I'm glad you found the book, since it has all these connections for you, and I'm also very happy to hear that you enjoyed it so much!
All the best from Inverness Kay!
John

message 24: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Ignite wrote: "I knew you'd love it Sarah. It's a powerful book isn't it? I've been over to Amazon's MOA again this morning to pop it on a thread - thrillers maybe? I can't remember! I don't often get as enth..."

Thank-you very much Ignite! (As always)
I really appreciate all your help!

message 25: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Patti (Mango Mad) wrote: "I think that calls for the posting of the link again.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Survival-..."

Thank-you too Patti!

Kay (Golden Girl) | 2286 comments Well John you never know perhaps I danced with your Dad or Uncle , it sure is a small world, I still have 2 sisters who live there and usually try to get up each year for a holiday, I now live in Cheshire .
I have sometimes read the 3 newspapers online but not for a while , so haven't seen the articles but will ask my sister if she still has them
I do hope you are writing another great story soon , give my love to Inverness Kayx

message 27: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments Found it again John - it's in New Books. I get a bit knee-jerks when I see a promotion opportunity for a book I love. I get a bit excited!

message 28: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments So glad you enjoyed the book Kay,I love the Inverness area,we often visit Crinan and Inverness.I just adore the west of Scotland.

message 29: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Kay (Golden Girl) wrote: "Well John you never know perhaps I danced with your Dad or Uncle , it sure is a small world, I still have 2 sisters who live there and usually try to get up each year for a holiday, I now live in C..."

Hi Kay, yes, I have some other stories in the pipeline...and I just found that brilliant review from you for my book on Amazon, great surprise to find it there and I'm very proud of that one being on the page there!
Thanks very much and, yes, I'll give your regards to the Old Town...Take care, John

message 30: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Ignite wrote: "Found it again John - it's in New Books. I get a bit knee-jerks when I see a promotion opportunity for a book I love. I get a bit excited!"

I found it too! Thanks! (I always like hunting down your recommendations and finding them Over in The Jungle...you never use the same description twice, always something a wee bit new!)

message 31: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Philip (sarah) wrote: "So glad you enjoyed the book Kay,I love the Inverness area,we often visit Crinan and Inverness.I just adore the west of Scotland."

Thank-you for spreading the word about the book like this Sarah!

message 32: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Pat (Scorpio) wrote: "I do, I do, I have it pegged as the next in line!"

Hi Pat, thanks very much for your review over on Amazon which I just found...great to hear you enjoyed the book!
All best, John

message 33: by Pat () (new)

Pat ()  | 29 comments You're very welcome John. Keep up the good work

message 34: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments I found it too! Thanks! (I always like hunting down your recommendations and finding them Over in The Jungle...you never use the same description twice, always something a wee bit new!)

I always feel that different people have different 'trigger words' John. If I word a recommendation slightly differently it might appeal to someone who found the previous one unimpressive. Worth a go anyway!

message 35: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Thanks Ignite! That is much the same feeling that comes with starting the next story or novel...a bit like playing "battleships" and trying to strike that co-ordinate you've never quite hit before...keeps it exciting too of course! Unless you feel inspired, there's no point...

My Goodreads page is starting to look nicely "filled-in" now!
Thanks to everyone for the enthusiasm and feedback!

message 36: by Kath (last edited Mar 06, 2012 04:52AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments Wahey! All good comments too John. That must be rather fulfilling to an author.

message 37: by John (last edited Mar 06, 2012 05:12AM) (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Since I posted that link to my Goodreads page there's another review come up, a brilliant one from Rosemary...it is so new you have to click on "sort;default"/"newest" to get it to show up.
Rosemary has put the review up on Amazon too.
Thank-you very much Rosemary! Very proud of that one indeed!

Yes, Ignite, since this is a book I've been working on for years...and it had all that support in London from literary agents and the film consultant I mentioned earlier...and yet even with all that they couldn't quite get it published as a paperback...(the film consultant who'd discovered Slumdog Millionaire and thought my book was the best she'd read in the last 4 years...she told me she blamed the recession, that my book in her opinion would certainly have been published in say, 2008...but by 2011 things had changed...)...so after years of trying to get it published, and feeling it should be published...8 weeks ago I made it into the Kindle ebook....then I came here...

And now people are writing that they love the book!

4 five-star reviews on Amazon now, from this forum's good people.

15 five-star reviews on Amazon for the book in all (and 1 four-star)

Thanks everyone!

message 38: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments New blog post here about The Survival of Thomas Ford, from brick wall to clear sky, hot off press this morning at Authors Electric:

http://authorselectric.blogspot.com/2...

message 39: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments It shows the value of persistance John - you didn't lose faith!

message 40: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Thanks Ignite! (Sometimes along the way there were people telling me to "keep the faith", which helped too).

message 41: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments http://indieebookreview.wordpress.com...

New review hot off press there for The Survival of Thomas Ford, at Indieebookreview "the place to find ebooks worth reading"

Kay (Golden Girl) | 2286 comments well deserved review John ,agree with all that was said, all the bestx

message 43: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Thanks Kay! Your review on here and Amazon is a great one too! Take care, John (Did the press clippings make their way safe from Inverness?)

Kay (Golden Girl) | 2286 comments Yes John but only got the Courier one,received by email from Brother-in-law as Sister is not very good with computer , no idea if she has got The Survival of Thomas Ford yet but will remind her how good it is and to download immediately. lol!!

message 45: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Thanks Kay! Aye, that Courier article was the one that gave The Survival of Thomas Ford a big boost...100 sales in 6 days I think it was, from local readers!

Meanwhile...for anyone out there who missed this the first time:

http://indieebookreview.wordpress.com...

BOGOF on Indieebookreview

(warning: may cause deja vu if you already read this on Authors Electric recently!...but presented here with new frame)

message 46: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments You can never deja vue a good thing too many times!

message 47: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Hi Ignite! Ermm...you know me, I think I probably could if I tried really hard!

Here is a review that popped up on Amazon UK on the 11th...I'd meant to post it here sooner!:

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and compelling, 11 Mar 2012
By Elizabeth Jasper Writer (Andalucia, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Survival of Thomas Ford (Kindle Edition)
I just finished reading this book and the first word that springs to mind is 'Wow!'

The characters in this story are unforgettable. The writing is superb. The themes; of revenge, loss, survival, evil, supernatural influences, heredity and family make for a compelling literary thriller. Pacing is superb, with the tension ratcheting up with each new chapter. Settings are exceptionally well-described without being over the top - they add to the overall atmosphere of the story and ensure the reader is not allowed to remain comfortable as s/he reads on.

I could hardly bear to put this book down and will seek out more my this taleted and original writer. Thank you John A A Logan.

message 48: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25096 comments Good one John. Nice to see I'm not on my own in loving your work!
(Of course I'm not - several readers from here love it too!)

message 49: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 347 comments Thank-you Ignite!
The support I've had here has been fantastic and I appreciate it all!

Here is a five-star review of The Survival of Thomas Ford from Amazon.co.uk where it now has 16 five-star reviews:

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thriller I've read this year, 22 Feb 2012
By Kathy Russell "Kathy" (Blackburn, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Survival of Thomas Ford (Kindle Edition)
This book grips like a vice from beginning to end. From the dramatic car crash which opens the novel to the very dark and frightening ending. I loved it. The writing is a cut above so many other writers out there. Superb characterisation and with a plot that continuously wrong foots the reader. I cannot wait for his next book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Survival-...

Quite a few good reviews and ratings on the book's Goodreads page now too...thank-you everyone (and thank-you Sarah for the latest five-star!)

message 50: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments The pleasure was all mine John.

« previous 1 3 4