World Mysteries and Thrillers discussion

Child 44 (Leo Demidov, #1)
This topic is about Child 44
Random Chats > USSR...these are amazing....what do you think?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon | 294 comments Mod
Anyone have comments about these books? I am really amazed at Child 44....hard to put down and hard to read as it is so chilling...Book starts in 1933 Russia and then proceeds to 1953....onward. Goodness, I don't know how people survived....

Tom Rob Smith
Child 44 (2008)
The Secret Speech (2009)
Agent 6 (2011)

Tom Rob Smith (born 1979) is an English writer. The son of a Swedish mother and an English father, Smith was born and raised in London.

Author Tom Rob Smith
Smith studied at St. John's College, Cambridge, following his graduation in 2001 he received the Harper Wood Studentship for English Poetry and Literature and continued his Creative Writing studies for a year at Parvin University in Italy. After completing his studies, Smith worked as a writer and a script editor, including a stint story-lining Cambodia's first soap opera in Phnom Penh with the BBC.
His first novel, Child 44, published in early 2008 was inspired by the true-life case of Andrei Chikatilo, who committed a series of child murders in Soviet Russia. That same year it was awarded the 2008 Ian Fleming Steel Dagger for Best Thriller of the year by the Crime Writers' Association, named on the long list for the 2008 Man Booker Prize, nominated for the 2008 Costa First Novel Award (former Whitbread). In July, 2009, he won the Waverton Good Read Award for first novels and the Galaxy Book Award for Best Newcomer with Child 44. It has been translated in 36 languages and in January, 2011, Richard Madeley and Judy Finnegan listed it in their Book Club 100 Books of the decade. The film rights for Child 44 have been optioned by Ridley Scott.
Smith's follow-up to Child 44, The Secret Speech, was published in April, 2009, and the next novel in the series, Agent 6, was published in July 2011.
Tom lives in Central London with partner Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning.

Eyehavenofilter | 14 comments Read my review about Child 44 and Agent 6. Loved both of these but they had me shaking in my chair knowing that this type of government, if you can call it a goverent; still exists all over this planet.
I was immediately invested in Leo, against the core of my heart, but I felt something redeemable in him none the less.
It just made me feel like I'm was exfoliating with sandpaper and brushing my teeth with an SOS pad! But the plots were, so overwhelming I couldn't put thm down. I read them both Within 3 days and each in one sitting!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought CHILD 44 was brilliant (except for the ending which I found a bit too 'Hollywood') but the other two books in the trilogy didn't really live up to the promise of the first one for me. SECRET SPEECH was plain bad while AGENT 6 was OK in parts (though the long Afghanistan bit was too long and obvious in the points it was trying to make)

message 4: by Anna, Moderator & Founder (new) - added it

Anna (aetm) | 250 comments Mod
I think I should put series (or at least the first book to start) on my list - I'm pretty sure I've seen at least the first book quite a few times somewhere but just haven't tried it yet.
Hmm, maybe I just didn't have a closer look at the book, or I was afraid it'd be too cozy kind of dark, like so many historical murder/thriller books tend to be.

message 5: by Sharon, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon | 294 comments Mod
Anna wrote: "I think I should put series (or at least the first book to start) on my list - I'm pretty sure I've seen at least the first book quite a few times somewhere but just haven't tried it yet.
Hmm, may..."

Well, to each his/her own! I found Child 44 chilling to read. There are murders and mysteries but all in the light of what is happening to the general population in extraordinary times from 1933 then jump to 1950s....taken together the three span the life of Leo and the people he encounters. Very different and lots of twists! Relaxing holiday read it is not though.... :-)

message 6: by Darvin (new)

Darvin Babiuk (dosho) | 2 comments I love Soviet and Russian topics, but Tom Rob Smith doesn't do it for me. I'm not sure why; I just don't get "gripped"by his writing the way I do with Stuart Kaminsky, Martin Cruz Smith, Brent Ghelfi or Robin White.