The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1) The Maze Runner discussion

Abandoned this book

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I thought it had a good plot but i couldn't stand the 3rd person view sometimes i like 3rd person books but distopian books aren't the same when you don't get the emotion from the character first hand

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not going to judge you. There are just some books that you can't stand. For me, it's The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. I absolutely HATED that book, but everyone else seems to love it. xD

Kalob Yes I agree but I think that the author gave enough of Thomas' emotions; but from Thomas' point of view it probably would have been better. . . .

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Kalob wrote: "Yes I agree but I think that the author gave enough of Thomas' emotions; but from Thomas' point of view it probably would have been better. . . ."

That would have been cool! :)

Silvermoon I'm currently reading this and having a hard time getting in to it. I don't know if it's the annoying slang language they throw around or the constant reminders that Thomas has lost his memory but thinks he remembers this place. I'm annoyed, but I want to give it a chance and see if it gets any better.

Haidi Silvermoon wrote: "I'm currently reading this and having a hard time getting in to it. I don't know if it's the annoying slang language they throw around or the constant reminders that Thomas has lost his memory but..."

I was much like you, and found it a little on the Young readers side, but I'm glad I kept reading and have enjoyed the series. Not all time favourites but certainly not a bad book.

Rachel I agree. It would've been refreshing to have more of Thomas's thoughts. But I still really really enjoy these books and they keep me guessing (I'm absolutely horrendous at guessing plots) and I can't wait to read deathcure:)

Andrew Hildreth Wow... I must be easy to please or my tastes reflect that of a 13-year-old kid because I actually love this trilogy. The mystery, suspense, and unpredictability add measures to this story. It has me second guessing at virtually every turn. And honestly, there’s a strong chance I may like this better than The Hunger Games (and I really like THG trilogy). Perhaps I’m just a rare and odd breed....

Haidi No your not rare and odd, us older readers are allowed to enjoy these types of books too!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Haidi wrote: "No your not rare and odd, us older readers are allowed to enjoy these types of books too!"

Totally true! :D

message 11: by Tim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tim I think the ending is the worst part of the book, so if you aren't liking the book in the middle, I certainly don't recommend finishing it.

message 12: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Oh I bought this book and it was such an honest waste of money. The plot was awful and slow...also the characters were flat and just plain uninteresting. I really found myself forcing my eyes to keep reading. It was awful!

Sebastian I abandoned it because of all the gore

Gemma at the start if the book (like chapter 10) i thought of abandoning the book. But now I'm reading the death cure (3rd) and I'm loving it. If you are thinking of putting it down, it gets better.

Lindsey I just finished the second book a couple weeks ago and could NOT put it down!! There were so many twists and turns in it and was surprised by the ending!! Can't wait to read the final book, and then the prequel to the whole trilogy.

Jared W I got all three audio books and listened to them in a row in the course of a week+. The first thing I hated was Thomas, couldn't stand him. But I needed to kill time at work so I continued listening. Was OK with most of it, hated a lot of it, but soldiered on. Then I started listening to the last book. OMG was that a waste of time and energy. That book was so amazingly bad it ruined everything that was in this weak series. Don't bother with any of them because the ending ruins all.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I found the personalities in this book bland and cut from very much the same stone. There were no reeeeeaaally meaningful scenes (emotionally) between characters so Dashner never gave their personalities intricasies. Because of this lack of character and emotion, I found it very hard to experiance the emotions of the characters along side them. I felt like I was skating on the surface of a thinnly iced pond, watching the water swirl beneath me but never really feeling it.

Amanda Friedman I absolutely agree with you! It was a hard read. However, I have to finish books, and the ending of this one was better than the rest of the book. Plus, it ended with a cool plot, and now I am reading the second one. The second one is much, much, much better!