52 Books in 52 Weeks (2012) discussion

Reviews. > Week9. (26 - 3 Mar)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ali (new)

Ali (alialghamdi) | 124 comments Mod
TWO MONTHS LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

"In this thread, everyone will post their reviews/opinions of the book they have read this week AFTER you rate/review it on your page. The purpose of this is so everyone can see what you read this week and read your review without having to visit each profile. Some of you have their profiles locked, so this saves you the trouble of unlocking it.

ANY COMMENTS THAT ARE NOT RELATED TO THAT MATTER WILL BE DELETED.

The format will be like this:

Name of book.
Author.
n/5 stars.

"Your simple opinion/extended review/one word that expresses what you thought of the book. GO CRAZY! Anything counts. Don't feel pressured."

Link to your review.

Also, this allows us to be organized, so even if a member didn't log in for about a month, they can add the book they've read to the appropriate thread.

THANK YOU ALL!

EDIT:
As I've mentioned in the guidelines, one word or a simple opinion counts as a 'review'. I only called it that because Goodreads calls it that."

Now let's see your achievements, awesome people.

message 2: by Ali (new)

Ali (alialghamdi) | 124 comments Mod
كتاب
محمد الرطيان
3/5 stars.

كتاب by محمد الرطيان

أفضل مما توقعت! بيستغرب البعض لو أعلمه بأني لم أكن يومًا مهتم بما كتبه الرطيان حتى شدّ على يدي أحدهما بأن اقرأ له.

كأغلب الكتب التي قرأتها قريبًا ليس هناك أي موضوع ثابت بل مجرد مقالات كتبها الكاتب وكانت ممتعة بحق ولغتها جميلة ومضحكة، أعتقد بأني ساقرأ كتابه الجديد بأسرع وقت ممكن!

message 3: by M (new)

M Naser (modidoody) | 54 comments The Davinvi Code
By Dan Brown
5/5
The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2) by Dan Brown
The book is a piece of art! every house should have one :o
great police novel ..

message 4: by Alanoud (last edited Feb 27, 2012 04:05AM) (new)

Alanoud عذرا جماعة هالكتاب للأسبوع الثامن لكن نسيت أكتب ريفيو الاسبوع الماضي
الكتاب : متعة الحديث الجزء الأول
المؤلف : عبدالله محمد الداوود
3/5
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28...
الكتاب جيد لكن خيب آمالي بالنسبة للضجة الاعلامية التي لقيها

message 5: by Dareen (new)

Dareen | 6 comments Outliers The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell
Book: Outliers: The Story of Success
Author: Malcolm Gladwell
Rating: 4/5

Gladwell uses such relevant examples that you have a very easy time "getting it". Each chapter had memorable insights. I really enjoyed knowing the story behind the story. Everything from when you were born, your ethnic background, and your economic status can affect your chances to succeed in life. So it shouldn't just be yourself to blame for not being so successful, It's most likely your grandparents fault! :p

message 6: by Mugren (new)

Mugren Ohaly | 52 comments Book #10
The pleasures of the damned by Charles Bukowski
4/5

Bukowski is a true legend.
This book was unbelievable, and I can't wait to read something else by him.
You won't be disappointed!

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 7: by ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (last edited Feb 29, 2012 05:45AM) (new)

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 62 comments لولا دعاؤكم by وقف من مؤلفة
Book: لولا دعاؤكم
Author: وقف من مؤلفة
Genre: كتاب ديني عن الدعاء
Finished Date: 26.Feb.2012
Rating: ★★★★★
Review: ما أجمل الكتب التي تزيد من خشوعنا وتنقي قلوبنا وتنير لنا طريق الخير

≈ هذا الكتاب من أجمل وأروع ما قرأت في الدعاء.. كتاب من تلك الكتب التي تثير في النفس شوقاً للإلحاح على ربها بالدعاء، وتهتم بتنوير العقل لآدابه، والنظر في فضله وعظم مكانته.. ≈

message 8: by Mugren (new)

Mugren Ohaly | 52 comments Book #11
The great fires by Jack Gilbert
1/5

My judgement might be cloudy, because I just finished a book by Charles Bukowski. Nonetheless, I didn't like this book. I only enjoyed two or three poems by him.

message 9: by Asmaa (new)

Asmaa This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen
This Lullaby
Sarah Dessen
4/5

Interesting story. I especially liked Remy's personality - a lot; she was independent. Dexter, tho... not so much. I really admired her group of friends - not who they are personally, but their close-ness to each other.

message 10: by Ally (new)

Ally Atherton (allyatherton) David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

This is the story of David Copperfield and his journey through life, his loves and his struggles. Copperfield's childhood bubble is burst upon the arrival of Mr Murdstone and his sister into their home and this sets the wheels of fate into a totally new direction. He experiences life on the streets of London and meets a lot of interesting characters along the way.

This is an enormous book and perhaps many people would need a little bit of patience to get through it. However it did keep my interest all the way and it is a good read. I found it strange to be reading a book that was written such a long time ago (probably with a feather quill and a candle in the background) on an Amazon Kindle! David Copperfield has a bit of everything, from adventure to humour to romance to social commentary. At times it is a little bit convoluted and not easy to follow and sometimes I found myself wondering who was living in which house and who was married to whom! But on the whole this book is easy to read considering how old it is. To me I found that it was written in a similar vein to an Austen book but much more accessible and more focused on different classes rather than just life of the nobility.

But what made this novel work for me were the fabulous characters! Lovely characters like Copperfield himself and Tom Traddles and Little Em'ly, Agnes and Peggotty. The awful Mr and Miss Murdstone and the wonderful and at times hilarious Aunt Trotwood as well as the peculiar and complex and conniving Uriah Heep. I can relate to many characters in the book but especially to Mr Micawber because of the problems I have had over the years with trying to stay financially afloat!

The amazing thing about this novel is the way in which it is still relevant
in 2012 and how the thoughts and trials of David Copperfield are not much different to our own.Even though our roads are no longer cobbled and carriages have been replaced by Ford Ka's and people carriers, there are a lot of similarities to modern day England.

I read this for Dickens Month and I would recommend it for anyone who has a few weeks to dedicate to one book!

message 11: by Asma (new)

Asma (asthma) | 20 comments Queste (Septimus Heap, #4) by Angie Sage
Queste by Angie Sage.
5/5
Once again I am mesmeized by the beauty and the humor of this magical series with its unexpected turns and it's free frame of mind.
I am excited as ever to proceed into reading the next book in the series. Angie Sage certainly has not failed her fans -I myself included-
I found myself as suspended in time as the characters are, that's how immersed I was. This should give you a brief vision of how Angie Sage is good in engaging the reader's imagination without letting on it.

message 12: by Shiroq (new)

Shiroq | 25 comments Book#13
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Title: Me Before You
Author: Jojo Moyes

I gave it 2 stars

I thought the story to be bland and unoriginal. It was quite predictable, to be honest. It’s a love story sprinkled with tragedy and it also addresses euthanasia.

Book#14
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat & Other Clinical Tales by Oliver Sacks

Title: The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat
Author: Oliver Sacks

5/5

I absolutely loved this book, and it has been a while since I’ve said that! The book is written by a neurologist and addresses the “disorders of the hidden senses” that are caused by injury to the right hemisphere of the brain. For example, one the cases he dealt with involved a one that can no longer feel her body, neurologically disembodied.
Sacks empathy is palpable throughout the book, and my heart went out to all of the patients he listed as he guides you through the hidden merits of their imperfections.

message 13: by Najla (new)

Najla (najla_sg) | 12 comments  حزب الكنبة رحلتي من الكنبة إلى الميدان by عزت أمين
عزت أمين

Feb 29, 2012
3/5 stars

أول كتاب أقرأه عن ثورة ٢٥ يناير (ولا أعتقد أنه سيكون الأخير!).. الكتاب ينقسم إلى جزئين: الأول يحكي فيه الكاتب قصة الثورة من منظوره الخاص، والثاني مجموعة مقالات كُتبت ونُشرت خلال فترة الثورة.. أسلوب الكاتب جميل وساخر والكتاب مليء بالأفكار الجميلة بالفصحى واللهجة المصرية "اللذيذة".. استمتعت بقراءة الكتاب وما عاشه المصريين في ميادين الثورة التي تابعناها نحن (غير المصريين) بشغف من على "الكنبة"!

message 14: by Sara (last edited Mar 07, 2012 05:52AM) (new)

Sara (sarasization) | 53 comments How to Change Your Life in 7 Steps by John Bird
How to Change Your Life in 7 steps
By John Bird.
3/5
John Bird wrote tips of how to change your life in steps that he used to change his own life. He went from being a troublesome violent teenager that struggled while living on the streets to the founder of The Big Issue (a magazine that is edited by professional journalists and sold by homeless people to make a living.)

message 15: by Ghadah (last edited Apr 12, 2012 03:23PM) (new)

Ghadah (ghadahkhalid) | 17 comments Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
5\5
It is definitely a page turner. Similar to the Hunger Games, though slightly different. I hope the second book, Insurgent, is as good or better.

message 16: by Ahmad (new)

Ahmad Badeeb (paper_cut) | 15 comments Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern

Sh*t My Dad Says
by Justin Halpern
2/5

Listened to the audiobook. Simple and funny, like watching a comedy flick. Really helped killing time while driving.

message 17: by Johara (new)

Johara Almogbel | 52 comments River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3) River Secrets by Shannon Hale

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Great follow-up to Enna Burning. It also has an infinitely lighter mood, and Ms. Hale's choice to make Razo the main character was ingenious, I LOVED him. (view spoiler)[ And the fact that he wasn't the water speaker was refreshing, because another book with the same thoughts aired over and over again might have gotten repetitive. (hide spoiler)]
Overall, wonderful addition. I probably should pick up Forest Born soon.