Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Creature (new)

Creature | 34 comments Hello:
Stephen A, North
Have a Great Day!!!
The "Creature"

message 2: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Taylor (mrwriterman) | 15 comments I hope I can be someone's favourite one day. I've written a zombie type story that's been released - ZOMBIES (Morgue of the Dead) was recently re-released in digital from - NAKED SNAKE PRESS - with the paperback versions still being sold via me. It's available from online stores, or via links on my website...www.morgueofthedead.webs.com
My second novel - BEDBUGS (Can you see them?) is awaiting a cover art before its release...Hopefully that will be soon.
Lee

message 3: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments What exactly does indie author mean? I am always curious about these terms....

message 4: by BiblioBabes.ca (new)

BiblioBabes.ca (bibliobabesca) | 1 comments Martin Lastrapes! His book Inside the Outside was amazingly written and creepy as hell.

http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Outside-...

message 5: by Creature (new)

Creature | 34 comments Hello:
Indy authors are those who either self publish or publish in small presses with limited distribution. Most promotion is by word of mouth, blogging, etc. At least that is my understanding.
Have a Great Day!!!
The "Creature"

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I received a copy of The Endlands from Vincent Hobbes and I absolutely loved it. It was one of the best books ive ever read. I did a review on it and everything. I'm a friend of his on here and I can say hes a very good Indie author. Looking forward to his next works.

message 7: by Char (new)

Char  | 13722 comments Mod
I've read a few Vincent Hobbes shorts and I enjoyed them very much. I actually have a list of Indie horror writers that I've discovered and love!

Kealan Patrick Burke-most especially KIN and The Turtle Boy (but he has a lot more to choose from).
Alan Ryker-Burden Kansas which is the first of a series, the second book is good too.
James Everington-The Other Room and also has shorts featured in each issue of Introducing Penny Dreadnought, Insidious Indoctrination Engine of the Abominable Gentlemen.
Glen Krisch-Twice as Dark (2 novels in one, both very good) and Loss.
Lee Thompson-I've only read two so far, both shorts-this one was absolutely fabulous Shock Totem 4: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted. Lee's story is the first one.

message 8: by Char (new)

John wrote: "Thanks everyone! Creature has the right definition; indie authors are authors who have to do the majority of promotion themselves.
I'm a new indie author and just released my first book - a horror..."

I have your short as well, John. Just haven't had the time to read it yet. : )

message 9: by Jason (last edited Feb 27, 2012 05:44PM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Brett J. Talley blew me away with That Which Should Not Be.

Graeme Reynolds novel High Moor is just awesome!

I really enjoyed the book and novella I've read by Griffin Hayes. They are Malice and Hive. Hive is his novella and is the beginning of a series that looks to be very interesting.

A final one: Harry Shannon is a great author who deserves much more attention. I recommend A Host of Shadows, CLAN, and The Hungry.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Jason wrote: "Brett J. Talley blew me away with That Which Should Not Be.

I really enjoyed the book and novella I've read by G..."

Who carries Shannon? I've been meaning to read him for forever!

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments You can probably get his stuff from Amazon.com. Alternatively, you might be able to order one of his books from Barnes and Noble, if there's one near where you live.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Jason wrote: "You can probably get his stuff from Amazon.com. Alternatively, you might be able to order one of his books from Barnes and Noble, if there's one near where you live."

Nearest B and N is about an hour away but that's not too bad. I'll have to look into Amazon.

message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Jason wrote: "Brett J. Talley blew me away with That Which Should Not Be.

I really enjoyed the book and novella I've read by G..."

I keep seeing a post Brett Talley posted on That Which Should Not Be but I always bypass it, is it really good? I may check it out.

message 14: by Char (new)

It was nominated for an award, possibly a Stoker award. If that means anything to you. I haven't yet read it.

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee Thompson | 96 comments Thanks for the mention, Charlene! Technically I'm not an 'indie author' though. Indie's are independent. I have two publishers (Darkfuse/Delirium Books, and Thunderstorm Books). Kealan Patrick Burke isn't Indie either.

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Justin wrote: "Jason wrote: "Brett J. Talley blew me away with That Which Should Not Be.

I really enjoyed the book and novella ..."

If you appreciate classic horror with H.P. Lovecraft and Algernon Blackwood themes, then you will gobble this book up.

message 17: by Char (new)

Sorry, Lee. I always think of you guys as Indie or vanity publishers. I didn't mean to mislabel you. : )

message 18: by Derek (new)

Derek Clendening | 1 comments So far I would say that Scott Nicholson is my favorite. I read him a bunch when he had mass-market deals and he doesn't disappoint now that he's doing his own thang :D

message 19: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Scott Nicholson is great, I agree!

message 20: by Peter (new)

Peter Meredith (goodreadscompetermeredith) | 25 comments Just reading The Red Church right now. So far so good.

message 21: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments I love Kealan Patrick Burke and Ania Ahlborn's Seed was fantastic as well.

message 22: by Char (new)

Jacob wrote: "I read this one book of short stories Commitment and got a pretty good kick out of it, it's by Glen Krisch he is a relatively unknown."

Jacob, I love Glen Krisch as well. Have you read Twice as Dark ? I thought it was pretty good.
Gator, good call on Seed, but I guess Kealan isn't an Indie author as I was told when I recommended him above. I LOVE 'im though.

message 23: by Jan (new)

Jan Strnad (JStrnad) | 9 comments I can second the Harry Shannon recommendation. I read him on Kindle.

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin (rreed) | 3 comments If an indie writer is allowed to mention her own work here, may I suggest MAMA by Robin Morris? You will find good reviews here on Goodreads and Amazon.

message 25: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I would say Vincent Hobbes as my favorite Indie Author. I've gotten to know him and not only is he a excellent writer but a real down to earth guy who really gets into his work.
I would also say a couple of the authors he wrote with in the book are pretty good too.

The Endlands

message 26: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephencouch) I enjoyed both Daniel Pyle's 'Dismember' and David McAfee's '33 A.D.' quite a bit.

message 27: by Hatchetgabby (new)

Hatchetgabby | 129 comments THis doesn't realy relate to the topic a whole lot but i figured this would be the best place to ask,where/how do you come across Indie authors?

message 28: by Char (new)

Hatchetgabby,
Indie authors are ones who have not been picked up by a publisher and instead are publishing on their own through Amazon. A good way to find Indie authors is signing up for Ereaderiq.com daily free books email. There are usually a lot of Indie authors featured there and there are usually hundreds of books free every day in the US. IF you sign up you will get a daily notice of free books in whatever genres you choose.

message 29: by Char (new)

Agreed. Scott Nicholson is very good-at least the ones I've read so far.

message 30: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
And an incredibly nice guy.

message 31: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2965 comments Mod
Jon Recluse wrote: "And an incredibly nice guy."

He is, I even got emails from him after he liked one of my reviews.

message 32: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Scott's a member of HA. He chimes in every once in a while. He is a great guy.

message 33: by Jon Recluse (new)

How many authors offer their entire backlist for free?

Scott is one of a kind.

I chatted with him once on another site, and when I joined GoodReads, he sent me a friend request titled "Are You Recluse from...."

I was blown away that he remembered me.

message 34: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments We should have him as a guest author one day.

message 35: by Jon Recluse (new)

That would be great!

message 36: by Charles (new)

Charles | 1 comments I agree with the mentions of Scott Nicholson and Glen Krisch. Both awesome guys.

message 37: by Jon Recluse (new)

Don't forget Kealan Patrick Burke.
Another true gentleman.

message 38: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Ryan C. Thomas (The Summer I Died) and Mark Mirabello (The Cannibal Within) are really nice guys, too. I've corresponded with them several times.

message 39: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Not hardly.

message 40: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Indie Authors are under the radar writers, not big time but really good writers not many know about and are making a name for themselves. I am sure alot of us are considered Indie Authors

message 41: by Char (new)

Another indie author that I enjoy is James Everington. His short story collection The Other Room and his contributions to thisPenny Dreadnought: Descartes' Demonseries are excellent.

message 42: by G.R. (new)

G.R. Yeates (gryeates) | 69 comments I second Charlene on James Everington - The Other Room and The Shelter are great reads and inspirational stuff. I've also greatly enjoyed Tony Rabig's The Other Iron River, and Other Stories and Sean McLachlan's A Fine Likeness.

message 43: by Char (new)

Greg wrote: "I second Charlene on James Everington - The Other Room and The Shelter are great reads and inspirational stuff. I've also greatly enjoyed Tony Rabig's The Other Iron River, and Other Stories and Se..."

Both of those look pretty decent, Greg. Thanks!

I don't know if he is an indie, but his books say Sucker Punch PRess sold by Amazon Digital Services, but I just love Alan Ryker.
If they sound like they're up your alley, Greg..I would highly recommend both of these.

Burden Kansas and the sequel Blood Tells True. They are unlike any vampires I've ever read about. : )

message 44: by Michaelbrent (new)

Michaelbrent Collings (michaelbrentcollings) | 87 comments Some good suggestions here. Thanks. I'm often leary of trying out indie authors. I am one myself, and make a decent living at it, but I also know that for every one author who understands the craft and technique that go into writing (and EDITING and PROOF READING), there are 100 who don't have a clue or a care about learning the right way to do things. So I appreciate the folks on this list who have some recommends. Makes it a bit less scary.

message 45: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I was quite active in this thread so I thought I would resurrect it and get it started again. Anyone read any good indie books lately that have made the author leave an impact on them?

message 46: by Tami (new)

Tami Bennett | -1 comments You And Me Against The World and the sequel All Our Foolish Schemes by Raymond Esposito. They are so awesome that if they do not find a wider audience it would be a crying shame.

message 47: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) Anything by David Haynes, although I've probably already said that! :-)

message 48: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Haha, I'll definitely have to agree with you Michael. David Haynes is a very good Indie author. So far I've read Ballet of the Bones and Mask of the Macabre, have The Undertaker's Cabinet on my Kindle for PC.

message 49: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) Scream of Angels is also very good.

message 50: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Rees | 7 comments I was interested in reading some books by self-published authors because everyone says the quality is generally bad. I did try one and it was terrible...thanks for posting some names here guys, going to try some of these guys.

« previous 1