Dark Soul Vol. 4 (Dark Soul, #4) Dark Soul Vol. 4 discussion

Group Read of DS series

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Marleen and I, plus a few others, were kicking around the idea of a group read/discussion of the whole Dark Soul series when the last book comes out in March.

Anyone else interested?

Aiko *raise hand* pick me pick me!

LenaLena Are we going to reread 1-4 right before 5 comes out and then tackle 5 or are we reading 5 first and then do a groupwide 1-5?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Marleen wrote: "Are we going to reread 1-4 right before 5 comes out and then tackle 5 or are we reading 5 first and then do a groupwide 1-5?"

Either works for me. 5 has A LOT going on in it, though. It might make sense to give it a once over on its own and then a second look as the wrap up for the whole series. These read pretty quickly so it's not like it would take a lot of extra time to do it twice.

LenaLena I can do that. Five gets read separately and then we'll do a group reread of 1-5.

Darkm I'd like to :)

LenaLena That's 4. Pretty sure we can coerce Sara too.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Darkm! We'll try to remind everyone who is interested w/in a few days of the release.

Sarasaya Of course!!! I'm in! Darkm, Manu wanted to do the same in our M/M Italia group, we could make them join this one...
If you all are ok with this.

Lenore I'm game!

Christina I'm in!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarasaya wrote: "Of course!!! I'm in! Darkm, Manu wanted to do the same in our M/M Italia group, we could make them join this one...
If you all are ok with this."

Bring them all over here Sara! I just need to know who so we can remind people when the time gets close. Or you can remind them!

Darkm Kate wrote: "Welcome Darkm! We'll try to remind everyone who is interested w/in a few days of the release."

Thank you Kate if you could remind me it would be perfect because my memory doesn't work at all right now :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay so DS#5 is out. Which means we can do this group reread of the whole series starting next Friday? Feedback please!!

message 15: by Lenore (last edited Mar 16, 2012 02:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lenore Ummm... I could do it. But will we be done by the 27th?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Lenore wrote: "Ummm... I could do it. But will be be done until the 27th?"

Not sure I understand your question? Do you mean you want to wait until the 27th to start or be done by the 27th?

Lenore Gah! Stupid phone! I edited my post above. "Will WE be done by the 27th?" That was the question.

Lenore Preferably, I'd like to do it after that. I admit I want to read Lover Reborn first...

message 19: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Can those who are first time readers join in on the group read? Please :)
I haven’t started yet. I was waiting for the 5th volume.

LenaLena There is a bunch of stuff coming out around the 26th that I want to read, so for me the sooner we start the better.

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 16, 2012 10:17PM) (new)

Emma, anyone can join in including first time readers. Just be aware that there might be some spoilers in the discussion.

So far it sounds like people would like to finish up by the end of next weekend. It IS a reread for most of us and ought to go really quickly. I'll wait for a few more people to say what they want and if no one complains we could start Tuesday or Wednesday (20th or 21st).

Lenore I'm aborting the re-read. At least for the time being. I need some time to clear my head first.

message 23: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn I"ll be down for a re-read. I'm just now about to finish Dark Soul 4, but I think I should be good to read them all again together. Just one of you let me know.

message 24: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Thank you kate.
I just got the 5th, and I am starting the 1st right now. I am sure by 20th or 21st, I will be half way through this series.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, so this is a bit later than expected, but RL has a habit of screwing with stuff.

Group reread of the Dark Soul series from Volumes 1-5 will start on April 4th. Post your comments here.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone who wants to join in is welcome. :)

Darkm Have you already started?

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Not yet, Meg. We're going to start on Wednesday, April 4.

message 29: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Present.

Christina I'm definitely going to try to make this. Hopefully ICoS doesn't consume me :)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Group read of the series starts today (Now!!). Read at your own pace and comment as you like. Spoilers are OK, we are going to assume everyone has already read this.

On to Stefano, Silvio and the Desert Eagle....

message 32: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma First and foremost, I loved the photographer used for the covers. They were just so in sync with the volumes and so so perfect……not to mention mouth watering.
Especially DS3 with that laced garter (sorry, please correct me if I am wrong) and the gun in hand (made in Russia written over the muzzle) with manicured thumb nail…………………yeah yeah I zoomed it and ogled it so what ~shurgs~

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I really liked the covers, especially the ones for the first and last volumes. I'm not really thrilled with the cover for the paperback;

Dark Soul The Complete Collection by Aleksandr Voinov

message 34: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma What? Oh come on it's a gorgeous cover....it's so....well, i..it's so silvio....just a little far away.....out of reach.....just like most of aleks's characters heehee.
oh! and I snooped around oleg's tumblr and saw mnay probable silvio contesters! with the sharply cut mouth and all ^^
I still love Battsita (spelled wrong) MORE than anyone else! Everytime he made an appereance, he grounded me.

message 35: by Christina (last edited Apr 04, 2012 11:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christina Hey guys!

Well, speaking of covers and/or Silvio. I wish there was a pic of Battista's painting of Silvio in DS1. That scene is one of my favorites in DS1. I don't know why but the combination of Stefano's reaction to it and what Battista's says about Silvio, just gives me chills every time. I want that painting on my wall. Although, in mine Silvio wouldn't be that young :) You think Aleks takes requests?

message 36: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Well Christina, they don’t say “a picture is worth a thousand words” for nothing. And yeah, it was chilly the way he described it. Almost like as if silvio was not fit to be addressed as a normal boy and Battista was proud of that swarthiness………as if he allowed it to be festered.
Then again silvio wasn’t normal to begin with.. But I think Battista has a major hand in silvio’s present thinking. The way he could just isolate himself so easily, the way he was with Franco!.......~sigh~ Franco. That guy deserves a volume of his own. I think he is more stable than silvio.
I don’t think Franco had anything to be afraid of from Stefano! Really.

Iris, Dark Lady wins majority of the vote :). Let us see if your opinion changes at the end.

Christina Yes, it's both erotic and haunting. For me it was completely erotic from Stefano perspective but chilling from Battista's. You can feel how Silvio is trapped in that state.

message 38: by Darkm (last edited Apr 05, 2012 12:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Darkm Christina wrote: "Hey guys!

Well, speaking of covers and/or Silvio. I wish there was a pic of Battista's painting of Silvio in DS1. That scene is one of my favorites in DS1. I don't know why but the combinatio..."

I'd love that painting too, and I'm fine with his age. I think he looks even more like a dream figure, a sort of incubus.

Iris I'm very proud of Aleks too :)

regarding the paperback cover, I think it's nice, not my favourite, no, that would be the first one and the third one, but it's good. And the cover of the first can't be put on the whole series in my opinion, because that's Gianbattista's Silvio, not Stefano's one. I hope I'm making sense.

Christina Darkm wrote: "Christina wrote: "Hey guys!

Well, speaking of covers and/or Silvio. I wish there was a pic of Battista's painting of Silvio in DS1. That scene is one of my favorites in DS1. I don't know why bu..."

Incubus Damn! I thought the image was burned in my memory before. This brings it into an entirely different realm. In my mind it also has a fantasy quality to it. I was thinking Elvish but I like your reference.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Silver Iris wrote: "@ Darkm ; )

Is the Vol V cover supposed to be Silvio or a contemplative Stefano?"

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Stefano...so they are the covers are bookends to the story. One guy on the beginning, the other guy on the end.

LenaLena I think the paaperback cover is too 'Reservoir dogs'.

message 42: by Christina (last edited Apr 09, 2012 10:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christina Marleen wrote: "I think the paaperback cover is too 'Reservoir dogs'."

I like it but it doesn't have that dark and ominous feel of the ecovers.