Recommend To Me A.... discussion

BOOKS ABOUT OTHER COUNTRIES

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Beth | 1 comments Hello, I love books that take place in other countries, esp. Japan and Great Britain .. esp. stories from another time period .. any recommendations ??
Thanks!!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelbrandt) | 12 comments Mod
Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre and The Plague are all great books set outside of the US.

message 3: by Rob (new)

Rob McMonigal | 2 comments O Jerusalem by Laurie King is a mystery novel starring an older Sherlock Holmes that's set in early 20th Century Palestine. Both the setting and the use of Holmes are quite good!

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Felton (jamiefelton) Thrity Umrigar's The Space Between Us is so good. It takes place in India and is about the lives of two women, one who is in a higher caste than the other and employs her to work as a maid in her home. The book is beautifully written, and you really understand both women's perspectives and how wrong the caste system is because it really programs people to think a certain way.

message 5: by Suvi (last edited Mar 16, 2008 05:26AM) (new)

Suvi (orpheusbooks) England
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

France
Labyrinth by Kate Moss
To Dance with Kings by Rosalind Laker
Moulin Rouge by Pierre la Mure

I have to say I didn't like all of these that much but I think all authors have relatively well pictured the country. So it's best if you just try them yourself and judge whether they're good or not :)

message 6: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) If you would like to read both about Ancient Egypt and now, Elizabeth Peters has a mystery series out that is fascinating. Anne Perry's Victorian era England mysteries are also very informative and interesting.

message 7: by Patty (new)

Patty (pattyowen) | 4 comments The Mists of Avalon
Memoirs of a Geisha
His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman
There's a series by the name of "Alexander" in a three book installment.
Any Aurthian piece is great as well.
The Historian - this one is more present day, but it takes you all over Europe.

message 8: by Elle (new)

Elle (ellem) I recently finished The Commoner by John Burnham Schwartz. This is historical fiction and takes place in Japan.

message 9: by Damien (new)

Damien (theotherkaramazov) | 4 comments I'm rather late to this, but I'll throw out a few recommendations:

Deep River, by Shusaku Endo (India and Japanese perspective)
Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe (Africa)

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
The Kite Runner
Wuthering Heights
Nervous Conditions

message 11: by Miss Michael (new)

Miss Michael (mistymichael) | 4 comments I second the recommendation for Things Fall Apart. Another good one that's also set in Nigeria is The Bride Price by Buchi Emecheta. It can actually be quite interesting to read them together. Achebe's work is set earlier, during the early colonial period while Emecheta's work is post-colonial. They are both about the Igbo people so that is why it's nice to read them together. However, the narrative styles are very different, as are the ideas the authors are trying to get across.

message 12: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (spygal333) | 8 comments ooo these r all great book suggestions thxs!! also chinese cinderella and the secret dragon society bout japanese invasion in china and a girls decisions etc very good also any amy tan books r good and the kite runner :D

message 13: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (spygal333) | 8 comments Miss Michael wrote: "I second the recommendation for Things Fall Apart. Another good one that's also set in Nigeria is The Bride Price by Buchi Emecheta. It can actually be quite interesting to read them together. Ache..."

i just read things fall apart in school 4 our africa section to look on the affects of colonization on african countrys, interesting but i feel like never gave an oppinion on whether colonization was good or bad, like some aspects of tribal life were just primative and horrible but some methods of the british were horrible 2... i kinda wanted a final oppinion in the end...