Schneider Family Book Award discussion

2013 Contenders > Middle Grades category

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (mombo1) | 42 comments Mod
The middle grades category includes books for children ages 9-13.

message 2: by Nancy (new)

I did a search of my public library catalog for kids' books published in 2012 with disabilities as a keyword. I posted a couple of titles to the "to-read" list. Has anyone read any of these?

message 3: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 4 comments Can you tell me where the "to-read" list is located, Nancy so I can see the titles you have there? As a member of the Schneider jury, I can't comment but I'd sure like to see what books you are turning up. Thanks

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessmonster) Over on the right side of the page, under the group name, is a link to the "bookshelf" - that's where I found them!

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Thanks, Jess--that's right, the to-read list is on the 'bookshelf.' Marilyn, would you be able to add to the list without compromising your role on the jury? Just throw out titles without comment?

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Shucks. :) I'm glad you can see our lists, though!

message 7: by Nancy (new)

I downloaded the e-book of Wonder and am looking forward to starting it!

message 8: by Nancy (new)

Just published--Strong Deaf
Looks promising.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Klipper | 4 comments I recently read Skin by Donna Jo Napoli, and I think it is worth a read by the committee. It is the story of a teen girl with a progressive disfiguring skin condition. How she reacts to that diagnosis seems realistic, hurting others out of her pain and self-pity, but she grows in acceptance and understanding as the book progresses.

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Klipper | 4 comments I meant Skin for the teen category, not middle grade.

message 11: by Raven (new)

Raven (howlisawesome) Hi I'm Raven and I know two Schneider Family books that I really like. I read the book "Rules" by Cynthia Lord. It was really good except I have to read it again because I forgot a lot of the details. But I know that the main character's brother has Autism. I am also currently reading the book "Hurt go Happy" by Ginny Rorby. It is SO good. The main character Joey is deaf. Those are two Schneider Family books that I like and would love to get future recommendations on books that I should read next.

message 12: by Raven (new)

Raven (howlisawesome) One of my favorite books is "Out of My Mind" by Sharon M. Draper.

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Raven, I loved those too!

message 14: by Nancy (new)

Stephanie and Barbara, I've added those to my list.

message 15: by Raven (new)

Raven (howlisawesome) wow! Now I totally want to read Skin! But right now I'm in the middle of Hurt Go Happy. Then I am going to read another book that is assigned reading for my other group. THEN I'll read Skin. Okay, I have a LOT of reading to do.