Schneider Family Book Award discussion

2013 Contenders > Young Children's category

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (mombo1) | 42 comments Mod
The young children's category includes books for children ages 0-8.

message 2: by Nancy (new)

I did a search of my public library catalog for kids' books published in 2012 with disabilities as a keyword. I posted a couple of titles to the "to-read" list. Has anyone read any of these?
Yuko-chan and the Daruma Doll The Adventures of a Blind Japanese Girl Who Saves Her Village by Sunny Seki The Art of Miss Chew by Patricia Polacco

message 3: by Nancy (new)

I picked up The Art of Miss Chew from the library today. To me, it was a typical Patricia Polacoo tear-jerker, though I'd say not as good as Thank You, Mr. Falker. This one does discuss the main character's reading disability (though it's not named as dyslexia, I know the author has dyslexia, dysnumeria, and dysgraphia). I thought it was interesting what her art teacher noticed about how she sees things: noticing negative space first, which greatly impacted her reading. I liked the spin of the art teacher helping a student with reading troubles.

I read it with my 10-year-old daughter, and she said she would give it 5 stars. She liked how Miss Chew stood up for the main character and supported her artistic talent. (Plus I think she's become a Polacco fan, like her mother.) :)

I'm curious if anyone else thinks this may be a Schneider contender.