Q&A with Laurel Snyder discussion

Laurel Snyder
This topic is about Laurel Snyder
Mom/ author or author/mom?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurel (new)

Laurel | 22 comments Mod
When my first son was born, I was working as a programming professional at a non-profit, and I left that job because I could not afford to pay a nanny on my salary.

I got VERY lucky, and my first novel was pulled out of slush shortly after that. Nw I find myself in the amazing position of getting to work-from-home while my kids are small.

But writing books with small kids underfoot is NOT glamorous. I'd love to talk to other working parents about the experiences thay're having. DO any of you write with kids? How's that going?

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara Hall (taralhall) | 8 comments I try to write without any kids underfoot, and it's a struggle sometimes. I admire you more than I could say. I certainly couldn't do it!

message 3: by Laurel (new)

Laurel | 22 comments Mod
Tara,

It helped that when I was waiting for the first book to come out, and my son was just getting active, my husband LOST HIS JOB and I was pregnant and we had NO INCOME and NO INSURANCE.

I called my agent and said, "I desperately need money to pay the medical bills, so that my child is not born in the back of a car. What can I do to sell another book?"

SOmetimes, maybe, the best thing for us is a really hard situation. We learn to do what we HAVE to do. You know?

Now I have a shed in the yard, where I can escape the little demons: http://laurelsnyder.com/?p=1555

:)

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather Moss (heathermoss) When Kevin Canty's kids were young, he wrote in a shed, too. It was a pretty nice shed, maybe more like a tiny guest-house. I really envied him. I have a shed but it smells like lawn mower gas; I can't imagine writing in there. Of course, I don't have kids to escape.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather Stewart | 2 comments My daughter is six and a half, so she's at school most of the time. When she gets off that school bus in the afternoon, I try to be all hers. It's working really well, but it's hard to keep the boundaries with a home office - especially on weekends! She's good at saying MOMMY close your computer! as I have asked her to do that. There will always be books to write. She will not always be six and a half and wanting to hang with me.

Hey thanks for inviting me to this great group!

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather Stewart | 2 comments That is so funny. I could never write in there either! Hate that smell of lawn mower gas!

message 7: by Annette (new)

Annette I have a wonderful 12 year old son and I'm usually solo parent during the week. This helps explain why I'm averaging a book every two years, not every year. :-) Seriously, it's a huge advantage to have kids around. He has helped me stay in touch with kids (although it also helps that the rest of my work involves traveling to schools, museums, and libraries to present/perform to kids on the history behind my books!)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Writing with small children underfoot is very difficult for me. I write while they play and nap. Or when they're in bed sleeping. It's all I can do right now. I've got triplets and they are troublesome as they are almost three and it is quite a chore. I just love writing so I muddle through.

message 9: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne | 4 comments I started writing when my kids were 6,3, and I week old. My first book contract came when they were 7, 10, 13, and 16. Now they are all teens and young adults. I probably write slower than many others but without my children I wouldn't have written at all. I did learn to work anywhere. I've taken my laptop to many a dance studio and choir rehearsal. But probably the most useful thing was investing the time while they were young teaching them to cook and clean. Because now when I have a deadline, they are great about pitching in with the housework, so for example last week when I was putting finishing touches on a manuscript and working 10-12 hours a day on it, they picked up the slack with all the house and yard work.