The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

The Hunger Games v. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Megan Before I see any of these movies based on books, I want to read them but my dilemma is which series to start with...anyone have any ideas

Nya Tomlinson-Horan-Malik-Payne-Styles the hunger games. i didnt like the girl with dragon tattoo books... at all

Monica well although i like both i have to give the edge to the hunger games only because it is a young adult book that wasn't predictable by the end of the third chapter.

Horcruxiatus Had you asked this in the "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" forum I'd expect you get a different answer. Not fair posting this in a group meant only for Hunger Games is it?

Megan @Horcruxiatus... Noted and will also post in the 'Dragon Tattoo forum thanks for the heads up

Annabel ♥ I didn't read the Dragon Tattoo books, although i have herd they are not bad.

Nick The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series seems much more heftier than The Hunger Games, if you get what I mean. Most people end up finishing The Hunger Games in a matter of days, so you could maybe take that into consideration? Then again, I haven't read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (I plan to since I really enjoyed seeing the original first film) so for all I know it might be easier to read, but since The Hunger Games is a young adult series, I assume that it's a much quicker read.

Kara I'll echo a lot of the comments here. Hunger Games is a young adult dystopian series, and it reads like a young adult series. Also, the quality drops off fairly significantly after the first book (although the first book is quite good and I would recommend it).

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was written for adults and has a much more complex storyline. The quality also stays high for the whole series. Although it's not dystopian fiction, it does address some shortcomings in society but in a very different way.

It's really difficult for me to compare the two because they're completely different books written for completely different audiences. I wouldn't expect rabid Hunger Games fans to enjoy Dragon Tattoo at all. Dragon Tattoo is going to be a bigger investment because the books are longer and more intricate but is probably the better long term bet; however, if you're looking for something quick, easy, and entertaining, go for Hunger Games.

JulieLaLa I've read both series and I'd say that you have to determine how much time you have to devote to either series. The Hunger Games is much shorter, even all three books together (maybe one week or so to read) while The Girl trilogy are much more complex and long. So, factor that in with your reading preference of subject, style, setting, etc...