Indie Book Club discussion

Currently Writing > Voracious (Adelheid, #3)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments Presently, my main focus for writing - I always have several projects going at once to keep me from beating my head on any one wall too much - is "Voracious" and it's the third book in the Adelheid series.

It follows a totally new character, but he naturally gets hooked into the agency. Sadie kind of becomes a mentor, so we get to see folk from the earlier books even though this guy is new.

I'm about 25K through and at that point where the juices are flowing a little more slowly. It always happens somewhere in the middle before they kick into high octane again. And at that point where I am absolutely convinced that the entire thing (thus far) sucks.

Does anyone else get to that point when writing their books, or am I the only crazy one? :)

message 2: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Jeffrey Poole (authorjmpoole) | 2287 comments Mod
I hit slow parts at times. I've learned I have to be in a really good mood to write or else my stories start coming through kinda dark. :)

message 3: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 114 comments Yeah, I hit slow parts... although, oddly enough, they tend correspond with video game releases...

In all seriousness though, when I hit a section that doesn't want to be written, I usually go back through what I've written, do some editing, and clean up the weak bits. By the time I've gotten back to where I left off, I find that I want to read what comes next, and am therefore motivated to write it. Personally, I find that it makes the book as a whole more cohesive, since I don't forget what I've written earlier in the story. Of course, it also leads to re-reading my book so many times that I never want to see it again... but that's another issue.

message 4: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments Yeah, my problem is that if I go by and re-read, I'll probably never move forward because I'll get stuck revising for too long and will lose my momentum, even if it's little. I'm an outline writer, so I have each scene planned and always know what I want to write next. It's just the actually writing it sometimes that gets slow for me, but I think that's because the beginning always has big energy - yay, starting a new story! - and then the ending adrenaline. The middle just falls for a while.

I do it reading, too. :)

message 5: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Same here. I've outlined what I need to cover in each chapter and stick pretty close to it. I have this small notebook my wife gave me which I keep fairly close to me in case inspiration strikes. Can't tell you how many times I've thought of a small little plot point that would fit amazingly well or else snap my fingers and realize I've just figured out a solution to a plot hole, etc.

I'll either write huge chunks at a time or else it'll go super slow. Oh, we'll. :)

message 6: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments Same here on both counts! I carry a notebook and pen in my purse. I usually get ideas while driving. Convenient, right? But at least nowadays since I don't have a car, it's always someone else driving, freeing me up to note down my brilliant ideas. ;)

I think inspiration is just a fitful creature.

message 7: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

I love to hear nothing better than my wife telling me, "I've figured out that problem you wrote yourself into. Have so-and-so do this and then say that."

She's an asset to my writing. :)

message 8: by G. (last edited Feb 26, 2012 09:56AM) (new)

G. Walker | 165 comments Jeffrey wrote: "I love to hear nothing better than my wife telling me, "I've figured out that problem you wrote yourself into. Have so-and-so do this and then say that."

She's an asset to my writing. :)"

Jeffrey, that's really cool. I'd have to pay my wife to read my stuff, lol. She won't read a book until after she's seen the movie. *rolling eyes*
We are the epitome of "opposites attract."

But I totally understand the down spots in the writing. I'm rather like Mia, fast start, then it drags as I question everything I've done, then I finally slog through until I can get the momentum built up again. It makes me feel a little guilty, becuase I feel like (well, I know I am) such a slow writer.
Oh well, better to have written slowly than never to have written at all, right?

message 9: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments Jeffrey, My husband is also a writer, though unpublished, and is my hardest critique ever - which is a good thing - but we have very different styles and ideas about writing, so sometimes that can be tricky! He thinks all of his ideas are right and thus that's what I should do. ;)

And yeah, definitely better to get it written, even slowly, than to give up!

message 10: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments So... I wrote about 40K, decided it sucked and had to rework the whole thing. Many plot elements did remain, but I had to reorganize and rework and reoutline so I could rewrite. I did it, though, and have finished my first draft.

The story is now in my husband's hands -- which he better be reading while away these two days! -- and I'm going over the story in my mind, at that part of the post-drafting process when I doubt everything and am sure it's all terrible. *lol*

message 11: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Scott (bookblogger) | 1315 comments Mod
Very cool that you are making progress (if you keep any of it lol). I'm hoping to get the first book read fairly soon to add a bit of realism to my interview answers.

message 12: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments Sounds good. :)

message 13: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments It's only taken a small act of God, but I have finally gotten "Voracious" finished and off to my readers! *cheers, passes out*

message 14: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Congrats, Mia!!

message 15: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments Thanks! Now just to pray that all my readers don't come back and say it sucks! *lol*

message 16: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

*grins*

Occupational hazard, right? I keep asking myself that same question over and over as I work on BC #3. Only time will tell!

message 17: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments True, true... though I am very much looking forward to BC #3! ^_^

message 18: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Mia, which character is the focus of the third book in the series?

message 19: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments A new one, actually. This one is to prove to folks that I can write for men, too. ;D

His name is D. This book will play with the vampire world a lot again, but I can promise folks I'll expand past shifters and vampires for book four! (Which is already being written. Book four is Detective Nykk Marlowe's story.)

message 20: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments Well, it was a bit of an ordeal, but book three has been finished, the beta readers have all weighed in and without any major revisions needed, so the revisions have been done. Now it's editing and polishing, then formatting and release. I should be able to release in August as planned. Huzzah!

...and then get working on my other projects again. X_x

message 21: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Nice! Congrats!!

message 22: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Congrats Mia, very cool to get the third book done. Is this a trilogy or is it an open ended series? I may have seen the answer before but I can't remember.

message 23: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments It's an open-ended series. I am working on book four now, and have books five through eight tentatively sketched out (so far!), as well as a series of short stories. :)

message 24: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

The way the first two worked I expected it to be open ended, but I wasn't sure. I'm glad there is more to come I'll have to keep checking them out as they become available.

message 25: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments Would be happy to send you a copy when it's ready. :)

message 26: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Sweet!!

message 27: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments Yay! It's finally released. ^_^

http://www.miadarien.com/?p=1082

There's be more news soon, so I'll save the self promo post for when that's done.

Scott, I'll be sending that copy of Voracious along to you soon. :)

message 28: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Got the email on my way to redeem the coupon now! Thanks!!