The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Is it me, or is the first couple of chapters hard to get through?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shelly Wright Just curious if it's just me and should I continue to read it?

Haidi I didn't find it hard, but you should definetly continue to read. Its an awesome book, you wont be able to put it down.

Kirby it took me a little while to adjust to the present tense voice, but I didn't really think it was boring...

Kirby what's the trouble you're having with it? just not catching your interest?

Shelly Wright I struggle with telling vs showing. Seems the beginning is a lot of telling. It could be the present tense voice though. I'll keep reading. It hasn't hooked me yet and I'm on chapter three. Thanks for replies. :-)

Kirby yeah, I agree about the telling- that is one of the flaws of these books...but, similar to the present tense thing, the plot snagged me enough to overlook it. I'd say that since you're only on the third chapter, it may hook you yet! I really enjoyed the series, hope you do too! :)

Emmy I struggled through the first part of the book, but kept reading because I didn't want to disappoint my friend. However, there comes a point where you just CAN'T put the book down. Don't worry; it will come soon :)

Grace At first I did not get the point of the book until I got to like the forth chapter. Keep reading its a great book!

Shelly Wright Thanks. I will keep reading. After reading Wuthering Heights, I should be able to read anything. LOL. Talk about a book that is hard to get through--but is a compelling story. :-)

Shelly Wright Part of my issue too, I just finished six months of editing with my publisher. I don't think I'll ever be able to read the same again. :-)

message 12: by Elia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elia I don't know, i tmight just not be your type of book. I was into it from the very beginning.

Annabel ♥ i hated the first page. I was thinking "This is so stupid" but then after a couple paragraphs I couldn't put it down. Like, literally. I got yelled at for reading at the dinner table. So maybe its you.

message 14: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick I'm one of the people that got hooked from the beginning, but I know that one of my friends had trouble getting through the first few chapters too and called it 'boring'. But still, I wouldn't go to that extent because it didn't feel like a chore to read through and I think the build-up is necessary in order to get to know and feel for the characters. However, once you do get through it then that's when the real action begins.

message 15: by L.S. (new) - rated it 3 stars

L.S. Murphy I actually put it down three or four times before I got into it.

Melanie I liked the explanation in the first few chapters- I felt more informed throughout the book. I don't like guessing. :)

message 17: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I'm in the same boat. I remember reading the sample for the ebook a while back and loving it, but I waited to buy it and now I just can't get into it. My goal is to read it so I can complete my reading challenge, but right now I really am not looking forward to it.

message 18: by Anna (last edited Mar 01, 2012 07:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna It was a little difficult to get through the first pages, but I lost myself in the book right when the reaping began :) You should definitely read it!

Black Queen It was hard to get into the first few chapters and then later on in the middle it came all together in my head..:D

message 20: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya I didnt think it was that hard, but its a matter of opinion.

Shelly Wright Finished it! Once the games began, I was hooked. I do feel the editing on the book could have been better. I found some incomplete sentences and some sentences that were missing a word, but over all the characters are compelling. Very good play on the romance. That's what really hooked me. Still, I think it's too violence for 6th grade (which I heard is on a six grade reading list in some schools). Overall, it's worth spending the time to get into the book. Thanks for those who mirrored the same issue I had. I don't feel too 'out of touch'. LOL

Kirby Shelly wrote: "Finished it! Once the games began, I was hooked. I do feel the editing on the book could have been better. I found some incomplete sentences and some sentences that were missing a word, but over..."

awesome! :D

are you gonna read the other two?

Shelly Wright Yep, starting book two as soon as I upload my review of book one. :-) I don't want to get the two confused--but I'm excited to read book two.

I hope my readers, when my book launches this summer, connect with my characters like I have with Katniss and Peeta. :-)

Heather It might not be for you, or maybe its the writing style, sometime if you push past it you will get into the exciting parts and it will be easier to read.

I had no problem reading the first few chapters, I breezed right past the whole book.

Good luck!

Shelly Wright IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE WHOLE SERIES...DO NOT READ!! LOL
Read all three over the weekend. I sort of feel cheated at the end. I would have like to see the relationship between Peeta and Katniss develop. I would have like to seen Katniss see Gale as more of a brother, which I though as the story went on, was more like their relationship all along. I wish the author would have added that one last chapter to expand on that and how the district started to come back. Again, I think there was too much of the 'telling' and I would have like to seen it--walked with Katniss one last time. I guess I'm just a romantic. :-)

Kathy it gets better when you get into it or maybe its just not for you.

Angie Elle Shelly wrote: "Finished it! Once the games began, I was hooked. I do feel the editing on the book could have been better. I found some incomplete sentences and some sentences that were missing a word, but over..."

That was how it was for me. I had to read it, because a friend of mine had just read a series of books I had picked so we could discuss, and this was what she picked to read after.

I held on, though, and as soon as the games began I couldn't put it down! I think I was 130 pages in before I really started liking it.