The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

94 views
SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 25.6. Keltie Lee's Task: Fire and Ice

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 12, 2012 06:03PM) (new)

Sandy | 15701 comments Mod
25.6. Keltie Lee's Task: Fire and Ice

"Fire and Ice" by Robert Frost is one of my favorite poems. It discusses the end of the world, likening the elemental force of fire to the emotion of desire, and ice to hate.
In this task flip a coin twice and read two books according to your flips. Coin Flipper
REQUIRED: Include the results of your coin flip in your post.

For book 1

Heads: read a book that has the word fire or ice in the title or subtitle (no series titles). Plural and possessives are OK, no other variants are acceptable.

Tails: read a book that has the word desire or hate in the title or subtitle (no series titles). Plural and possessives are OK, no other variants are acceptable.

For book 2

Heads: read a book written by an author with the name Robert. Can be a first name, middle name or Robert can appear intact within the last name eg. Roberts, Robertson

Tails: read a novel that takes place at the end of the world. Any book shelved as dystopia, apocalyptic, or post-apocalyptic on its main GRs page will work.


message 2: by Kayleigh (last edited Feb 26, 2012 04:01PM) (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments Approved for Book One:
Heads:
Tails:
A Streetcar Named Desire

Approved for Book Two:
Heads: Roberto Bolaño
Tails:


message 3: by Kayleigh (last edited Mar 13, 2012 02:28PM) (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments Not Approved
Book One:
Heads:
A Song of Fire and Ice series


message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments For Book 1 Tails - I am ashamed to admit that I am not really familiar with what possessives are. Will "loved" worked?


message 5: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Can we read a play as long as it's over 100 pages long?

Tails- Book 1- "Desire"

A Streetcar Named Desire


message 6: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "For Book 1 Tails - I am ashamed to admit that I am not really familiar with what possessives are. Will "loved" worked?"

Possessives for that option would include desires or hates. Loved would not work in this case.
Sorry


message 7: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Can we read a play as long as it's over 100 pages long?

Tails- Book 1- "Desire"

A Streetcar Named Desire"


Of course a play would work.
Although the option you linked doesn't have a page number, so as long as you copy is over a 100 pages it will work.


message 8: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Here's a link to the library copy I ordered. It has over 100 pages.

http://hip1.sjvls.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp...


message 9: by Kayleigh (last edited Feb 26, 2012 08:35AM) (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Here's a link to the library copy I ordered. It has over 100 pages.

http://hip1.sjvls.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp......"


looks good :)
you can also talk to the librarians about updating the goodreads page.


message 10: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments for Book 2, Heads, would you accept Roberto as an alternate to Robert, as in Roberto Bolaño? thanks for your help! :)


message 11: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments kiki wrote: "for Book 2, Heads, would you accept Roberto as an alternate to Robert, as in Roberto Bolaño? thanks for your help! :)"

Roberto would work :)


message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Keltie Lee wrote: "Kathryn CA wrote: "For Book 1 Tails - I am ashamed to admit that I am not really familiar with what possessives are. Will "loved" worked?"

Possessives for that option would include desires or hate..."


That is okay, I had several back up options! Thanks!!!


message 13: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments Keltie Lee wrote: "kiki wrote: "for Book 2, Heads, would you accept Roberto as an alternate to Robert, as in Roberto Bolaño? thanks for your help! :)"

Roberto would work :)"


great, thank you! :)


message 14: by April (new)

April Does the words Fire or Ice have to be in the tilie only or can they be in the subtitle or series name? Like A Dance With Dragons, which is #5 of The SOng of Ice anf Fire.


message 15: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments April wrote: "Does the words Fire or Ice have to be in the tilie only or can they be in the subtitle or series name? Like A Dance With Dragons, which is #5 of The SOng of Ice anf Fire."

Unfortunately, no a series name would not work
Sorry


message 16: by Coco Kimura (new)

Coco Kimura For book #1 I rolled tails. Would Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food work for the word desire?


message 17: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments Monica wrote: "For book #1 I rolled tails. Would Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food work for the word desire?"

Sounds good :)


message 18: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments For book 2 Heads, Will Rob work or does it have to have Robert in full?


message 19: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments Alice wrote: "For book 2 Heads, Will Rob work or does it have to have Robert in full?"

Rob would work just fine :)


message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (ragamuffin_child) | 68 comments Will Roberts work as a last name?


message 21: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments Becky wrote: "Will Roberts work as a last name?"

It sure will :)


message 22: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1670 comments I know it's late to be asking, but I want to read:

The Fire-Eaters for this task. I wondered if the hyphen would be a problem. It looks like it was published without the hyphen in England.


message 23: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "I know it's late to be asking, but I want to read:

The Fire-Eaters for this task. I wondered if the hyphen would be a problem. It looks like it was published without the hyphen in England."


The hyphen is fine:)


message 24: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1670 comments Keltie Lee wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: "I know it's late to be asking, but I want to read:

The Fire-Eaters for this task. I wondered if the hyphen would be a problem. It looks like it was published without the hyphen ..."


Thanks and thanks also for your quick response!


back to top