☀Ignite Your Creativity☀ discussion

52 views
Debates > Sexism

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I think sexism is something that comes up quite a lot in today's society. Even though the past was a more sexist place - particularly to women - today it still goes on, mostly in third world countries. And it's not just to women, but men too.
What are your thoughts. Any examples of sexism you have experienced? And how do we deal with things like this?

Please respect everyone's views, and don't start any fights! :)


Eternal Werecat | 141 comments I have. My father has no issue with my brother coming home late at night but he wants me in by what he calls a "decent" time. He says it isn't proper for a young woman to be out so late.


message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I hate when man come home from work and think they should be able to just laze around an do nothing and have their wife wait on them hand and foot. The wife has been working all day her work never stops. My dad when my mom and dad first got married, came home from work and snidely asked mom if she was just watching soap operas all day. UGH she was working all day long. -_-


message 4: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 127 comments I live in Britain and there isn't really much sexism at all. In fact, where I live, it seems like the tables have turned. Women and girls can act like boys all they like. They can wear boys clothes and work as builders and play with toy cars when they're little and climb trees and basically whatever they want. For boys and men it is somewhat different. They could never work as hairdressers or wear nice clothes or play with dolls when they're little without being called gay and I think it's not really fair on them.

To be honest it's sort of their fault though. It was always men that expected women to do certain things untill we protested against men and now it's men who think men are supposed to do certain things so they wouldn't protest because because they'd feel like they're protesting against themselves. Also, I doubt any man would admit that he wants to act even slightly girly even to himself.


message 5: by Cheyenne, HoH & Proud (new)

Cheyenne | 665 comments Mod
Lilac, I agree with that last part. But the one exception would be a gay man.

Sexism is a huge issue, but there are a lot of people that don't help. The ones that reinforce stereotypes and cause other people to say, "There! You see?"


message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling ♪ $คгคђ ♪ ™ wrote: "I think sexism is something that comes up quite a lot in today's society. Even though the past was a more sexist place - particularly to women - today it still goes on, mostly in third world countr..."

How are you figuring that todays world is less sexist?


message 7: by Cheyenne, HoH & Proud (new)

Cheyenne | 665 comments Mod
Robert wrote: "♪ $คгคђ ♪ ™ wrote: "I think sexism is something that comes up quite a lot in today's society. Even though the past was a more sexist place - particularly to women - today it still goes on, mostly i..."

Probably because in the past there were laws preventing women to vote, and it was almost unheard of for women to work instead of run the household, while today neither of those things are true.


message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling What you say is absolutely true, however I remain mostly unconvinced.


message 9: by Cheyenne, HoH & Proud (new)

Cheyenne | 665 comments Mod
I kind of agree..... In some ways the government is less sexist with laws and whatnot, but people seem to still retain sexist ideas.


message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling Laws are a form of random retribution that comes after the event.

I think the percentages are better but the actual number of people still being treated unfairly has grown.

I used to think it was the educational experience a person received that determined what they based their personal discrimination on, seeing as how the quality of the education can be based on something as trivial as where you were born.

The parents can have an input, whose ideas might be good or might be bad, and good or bad said input might be listened to or it might be be rejected. That seems more like chance.

People heavily dependent on generalities and first impressions might find their views shaped by chance encounters which could be good or good be bad. Another one based on chance.

For the true followers, perhaps it just comes down to if your leader has sound ideas you get imprinted okay, dumb ideas you get imprinted dumb. Another one based on chance.

So how do people learn not to judge a book by its cover? Can an old dog learn new tricks?


message 11: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Loo (BohemianInkslinger) | 34 comments Sexism has seen a steady decline in some places, but in others, the perception of people still snares others into thinking that men and women should perform different duties without exception.

Laws have always been a double-edged sword in terms of sexism or racism, id est, in all affirmative actions. This is once again due to the perception of society. While the government may set quotas based on sex and may seem to ease the burdens of the target group, on the ground, the society may view the affirmative action as something that is needed simply because the target group is, indeed, weak, thereby further strengthening the general stereotype.

I wouldn't exactly call it chance in totality, Robert, yet I can see where you're coming from. I'd prefer to call it the individual's choice, whereby the choice depends on the individual to accept or reject their parents' inputs or whether they are silly enough to accept generalities and first impressions without first thinking about it. Again, it's the choice of the individuals in choosing their leader. Therefore, not so much chance as in collective choice.

Learning not to judge a book by its cover invariably involves reading the book. The best way is to actually get to know the person on a personal level. It's all about exposure and the ability to discern the differences and similarities between one and the other. I believe that this still links back to education. Education was meant to bring wisdom; if people nowadays still have a skewed vision of others means that the education system has failed in it's purpose.

As to the last question, an old dogs can only learn new tricks if they are shown that what they have been believing all the while is untrue. In the end, everything leads back to exposure and understanding between the sexes.


message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling I think the areas experiencing a decline in sexism are smaller than the areas where broad based discrimination and denial of rights is on the increase.

Laws have a lot of unintended consequences.
I believe that laws that attempt to correct situations by leaving the causes intact and only change the outcome do exactly that and little else.

Individual's choice, collective choice, none of this means the correct choices will be made. Life is built on the choices of others. People like to think that life is some kind of race, and some people will do anything to anyone to get a head in it. This is one race you don't need to cross the finish line anytime soon. Stopping to help people make it to the finish line makes you a winner.

...if people nowadays still have a skewed vision of others means that the education system has failed in it's purpose... I guess that is my point, people with the highest standards of education can act the same as some one with the worst kind of education whatever that is. Having the information and doing something with the information are two entirely different things. Education starts before one ever gets to set foot in a school. Education is the sum of one's experiences from where ever they come from.


message 13: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Loo (BohemianInkslinger) | 34 comments Touche, Robert, on the point about education, but it seems to me that it's the perception brought forth by society nowadays that is flawed. Exempli gratia, when you write of "the highest standards of education", it seems that the definition of education has been twisted into a mindless feed of information into the minds of the young; something much different from the actual ideals of education. In my humble opinion, education is much more. Education should be intrinsically about understanding that one person is as good as another. Someone has to attempt the change.


message 14: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling Education should be intrinsically about understanding that one person is as good as another. Someone has to attempt the change.

I think education should teach people how to think for themselves, how to make their own decisions and judgements. And how to actually make things, know how things work, know what the consequences could be. It should not be for the purpose of creating obedient parrots.

For people who don't get it, the idea that people should believe one person is as good as another would probably take a long time to take hold. You could spend years studying all the civilizations that have come and gone and learn all their strengths and weakness. Learn everything they contributed so we don't keep reinventing the wheel. Learn that prehistoric people and us had the same problems. Stop thinking we are superior because we have better toys. Maybe learning all that would change our way of treating each other, here and now.

It might easier to start with the concept of treating everyone the same way. You wouldn't have to spend much time learning the concept. It wouldn't be boring because everyone does not think alike and so everyone would not want to be treated in the same way, only in the same way in which they treat others. This would lead to a great deal of polarization. People who only wanted to be treated softly would find others who only tread softly. Others who behaved brusquely would seek others of the same mindset. Then there are the people who would have a selection of allowable responses, you act soft, they react soft, you act hard they react hard. You treat everything like it was a joke, they treat everything like it was a joke, and in the next move, they become hard, and you would switch over to hard to stay in step. Kind of like the way it is today.

Maybe it would be better to treat everyone with the same amount of respect. You don't have to always be nice, just respectful at all times. Being respectful would cover all aspects of how you interact with that person, you wouldn't take part of their weekly pay check every week because you get paid more for just being a man, but you would be courteous while picking their pocket from time to time. And you would expect them to be courteous while picking your pocket. Being respectful would imply that you appear to believe that the other person is as good as you and you are as good them. This sounds just like the target laws, what you see and get is not what really lies beneath the surface.


message 15: by Cheyenne, HoH & Proud (last edited Jun 30, 2012 12:24PM) (new)

Cheyenne | 665 comments Mod
I think you guys may have sparked a new idea for another debate! Would you like an Education debate thread? (If there isn't already one.) :)


message 16: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling Do you think school curriculum or the social atmosphere contributed to your anti discriminatory nature?


message 17: by Cheyenne, HoH & Proud (new)

Cheyenne | 665 comments Mod
Robert wrote: "Do you think school curriculum or the social atmosphere contributed to your anti discriminatory nature?"

Me or Jeremy?


message 18: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling Anyone is fine, personally I saw things in the social side I didn't like.


message 19: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Loo (BohemianInkslinger) | 34 comments Is anyone gonna start that education debate?


message 20: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) I think sexism exists, though not in the extreme ways it used to, still very strongly, maybe even stronger.

My older brother got married with the wrong person. Happens. They had a boy, and got divorced when he was very young. (I was young myself, as my brother is 20 years older than me, so I don't remember when it was.) Though, to my understanding, my brother was, and is, much more fit for raising his boy, his ex-wife got custody. Truth is, in most cases when the child is young and there's a divorce, the wife gets custody, unless there's very special circumstances. In this case, the women's rights movement affected most judges into leaning in the wife's favor constantly, though, again, it isn't always better for the child.
Now my brother only sees his son once a week and on some holidays. Which I believe is incredibly unfair, as the son has turned into a spoiled brat with a lot of issues under his mother's care (he lives two streets away and used to spend afternoons with us twice a week, so I know him pretty well), but my brother takes great care of his two daughters(his second, current wife.).


message 21: by ϟEvelynϟ (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 118 comments NO, I WILL NOT GO MAKE YOU A SANDWICH.


message 22: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) WHAT THE?


message 23: by ϟEvelynϟ (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 118 comments Lol It's quite obvious what I am trying to get at.


message 24: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiebakes641) | 75 comments I think, like racism, sexism now goes under the radar and can be much more perfidious. Most women today would not identify themselves as feminists because it is seen as something negative. Many women also think there is no need for feminism because we've achieved all that we need to achieve. Obviously, I don't agree.

I think the media portrayal of men and women can be truly terrible sometimes. There's the shrewish wife with the stupid husband, their spoiled and bratty daughter and oafish son. Women are shown to be one-dimensional: materialistic, man-crazy or mean. White men are the last demographic we can poke fun at without facing repercussions so they, possibly, get the worst of it. This obviously isn't true across the board, some writers don't fall into those traps. But look at Modern Family, one of the most popular shows on TV right now, and tell me I'm wrong.


message 25: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) ϟEvelynϟ wrote: "Lol It's quite obvious what I am trying to get at."

Actually it isn't. I have no idea what you were talking about.


message 26: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) I think Modern Family is an excellent show.


message 27: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiebakes641) | 75 comments I like Modern Family well enough but it relies heavily on stereotypes.

Pirl: some guys joke around and tell a woman to go make him a sandwich. It comes from them saying a woman belongs in the kitchen because that's all they're good for.


Vyanni Krace ~Wisdom of the bitter sea.~ (vyannikrace) | 87 comments I personally hate sexism towards either gender.


message 29: by ϟEvelynϟ (last edited Aug 03, 2012 10:30AM) (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 118 comments Pirl{a חame that sסuחds like spring} wrote: "ϟEvelynϟ wrote: "Lol It's quite obvious what I am trying to get at."

Actually it isn't. I have no idea what you were talking about."


Ah, never mind then.


message 30: by ϟEvelynϟ (last edited Aug 03, 2012 10:31AM) (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 118 comments Katie wrote: "I like Modern Family well enough but it relies heavily on stereotypes.

Pirl: some guys joke around and tell a woman to go make him a sandwich. It comes from them saying a woman belongs in the kitc..."


Yes, that's what I was getting at. Thanks for clarifying for Pirl.


message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah ϟEvelynϟ wrote: "NO, I WILL NOT GO MAKE YOU A SANDWICH."

I totally understand that.


message 32: by ϟEvelynϟ (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 118 comments ♪ $คгคђ ♪ ™ wrote: "ϟEvelynϟ wrote: "NO, I WILL NOT GO MAKE YOU A SANDWICH."

I totally understand that."


It's kind of funny because my older brother told me to make him a sandwich today. I didn't.


message 33: by Pirl (new)

Pirl (pirlismyname) OK, now I get it. My face: :) My laughter: HAHa.


message 34: by ϟEvelynϟ (new)

ϟEvelynϟ (paralynperea) | 118 comments :)


message 35: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 10 comments Earlier as soon as a woman got married, she had no life outside the home. She would have to cook all day and could never have any job but one in the home. She couldn't be a secretary because a dress that was long enough to go mid calf was inapropriate for a women to be seen in when she has a husband. At least now, there is more equality than there was. Women now have the right to vote, a woman can choose whether or not to be a stay at home mom or to try to juggle a career as long as taking care of a child, and they can maintain jobs just as advanced of jobs that men hold now. Just to name a few examples.


back to top