The Dusty Bookshelf discussion

Theme Reads > April: Jane Austen

Comments Showing 1-50 of 109 (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Books: A true story) (booksatruestory) | 490 comments Mod
I've picked the theme of Jane Austen for the month of April! I know a lot of you have Jane Austen books on your shelves and I can't wait to read some Austen with all of you!

You can also read any of the Bronte's books or other Regency era novels.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Oh, and for May I am going to pick a theme that can apply to everyone. :)

message 3: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments Uh oh, also Bronte? Jane Eyre is on my DBC, but...now I have to decide between that and S&S! x)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) As it's a BOM read for May in another of my groups, I'm going to read Charlotte Collins: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Jennifer Becton. Not exactly a Jane Austin book, but a modern sequel based on a character from the original. Curious to see how it measures up.

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) I've got some other books on my agenda, but I might be able to squeeze in Emma .

I like Briansgirl's idea of reading a book that is "related" though not by Jane Austen. Shannon Hale wrote Austenland; a modern tale of a woman obsessed with the kind of love she read about in JA's works.

Stephanie Barron has a series of mysteries featuring Ms Austen as the amateur sleuth ... I think the first one is Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor . I know I had it on my shelf, but when I tried to find the link for it, Goodreads doesn't seem to have it in their database.

message 6: by Mhari (new)

Mhari (morarwen) | 25 comments I have Persuasion on my list... If I get time to spare, I'll go on with Mansfield Park, my husband's favourite.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 63 comments Thank goodness I have a month to decide which Austen book to read!

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 63 comments I just added Austenland and Midnight in Austenland to my to-read list. :) Can never have enough books on that list. LOL

message 9: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments Okay, I'm going to read S&S, even though it's not a challenge book. (:

Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen

message 10: by Denise (last edited Feb 25, 2012 06:14PM) (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Since I've read all six novels multiple times, I'll be reading the Minor Works, which includes juvenilia and shorter works. I've read some of them before, but not the whole book.

Jane Austen Minor Works by Jane Austen

I do have some dusty Stephanie Barron Jane Austen mysteries (I think the fifth and sixth in the series), but I'll save those. Carrie Bebris also write a delightful mystery series with Mr. and Mrs. Darcy as the sleuths, but I've read all the ones I have already. Each book is named similarly to a different Austen novel, and the Darcys meet characters from that novel.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Barbara wrote: "I just added Austenland and Midnight in Austenland to my to-read list. :) Can never have enough books on that list. LOL"

I've read them both! they are so good! Midnight in Austenland is kind of based on Northanger Abbey. I'm going to read that one in April with the group.

message 12: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) | 491 comments Mod
I'll be reading Sense & Sensibility to start off Austen month - with these past few days putting me outta action reading wise I'm so behind right now it's untrue (and even having issues reading comp screen.. oops!) but I will be joining in this group read :D

Also, fab plan about not necessarily having to read a book written by Jane Austen but maybe just based around her or her characters - opens it up a lot more :)

message 13: by Orla (new)

Orla (orlathewitch) I'm reading Tenant of Wildfell Hall (Anne Bronte) and Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte) in May.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 63 comments Orla wrote: "I'm reading Tenant of Wildfell Hall (Anne Bronte) and Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte) in May."

FYI, there is a buddy read that is starting Wuthering Heights in March.

message 15: by Orla (new)

Orla (orlathewitch) Hmmm I might start it earlier then thanks

message 16: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Orla, the Victorians! group here has been discussing both of those Bronte books, plus Villette by Charlotte, so you might be interested to take a look at those discussions when you get around to reading them!

message 17: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Anyone reading Emma? It's the only Austen on my DBC shelf:) . . .although I've got many more on my TBR list (but since I enjoy them, I didn't think I'd have trouble with those, so..they didn't make my challenge list! If anyone is wanting to read Emma...I'd love a Buddy Read! :)

message 18: by Hayley (new)

April wrote: "Anyone reading Emma? It's the only Austen on my DBC shelf:) . . .although I've got many more on my TBR list (but since I enjoy them, I didn't think I'd have trouble with those, so..they didn't ma..."

I'm afraid that was my xmas read - it's the other Jane Austens that I still have to read, sorry :S

message 19: by April (new)

April | 570 comments No worries...maybe someone else will have not read it yet, and be willing:) I haven't looked at everyone's shelves yet to see what Austen's are on there...and I'm certain it'll be enjoyable, even if I have to read it all by myself:)

message 20: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 38 comments April: That's on my dusty Book shelf! We should do a Buddy read in Aprill!

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 63 comments April wrote: "Anyone reading Emma? It's the only Austen on my DBC shelf:) . . .although I've got many more on my TBR list (but since I enjoy them, I didn't think I'd have trouble with those, so..they didn't ma..."

I won't be getting around to Emma until May at the earliest.

message 22: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Hannah wrote: "April: That's on my dusty Book shelf! We should do a Buddy read in Aprill!"

I'd love to! That's the only one on my dusty shelf...so I'll be reading it...was hopin' I'd have a buddy! :)

message 23: by Dalynn (new)

Dalynn (dalynnrmc) Barbara wrote: "FYI, there is a buddy read that is starting Wuthering Heights in March."

I was thinking I might do a Bronte whenever the JA month started. I do have the JA's on my dusty shelf, but I've sworn them off for this year! LOL Plus my sister has them.

I'll do Wuthering Heights with you all also, but probably not til April, in lieu of the JA month here. ;)

message 24: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Unfortunately, I cannot claim any of Jane Austen's works as 'dusty' -- I have read them too many times for that! Maybe I will go with Wuthering Heights, which I have been neglecting in favor of Austen for a long time...

message 25: by Beri (new)

Beri (beriaru) | 7 comments Ah...looks like I have to break out Jane Eyre once and for all.

message 26: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) I don't actually own any Jane Austen. I do have Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict though.
I do have Charlotte Brontë's Shirley, I could dust that off...

message 27: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I'll read Northanger Abbey in April then. Has been on the TBR shelf for years, that and Mansfield Park are the only 2 major works I haven't read.

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (steph007) | 20 comments April wrote: "Hannah wrote: "April: That's on my dusty Book shelf! We should do a Buddy read in Aprill!"

I'd love to! That's the only one on my dusty shelf...so I'll be reading it...was hopin' I'd have a buddy..."

April and Hannah, I have that same book on my DB shelf. I've had it as an E-read for a while, and would love to buddy read with you both.

message 29: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments D wrote: "I don't actually own any Jane Austen. I do have Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict though.
I do have Charlotte Brontë's Shirley, I could dust that off..."

D, I finally got around to reading Shirley last year, and I really enjoyed it! I liked it much more than Villette, and although I still think that Jane Eyre is a more powerful book and therefore still my favorite by Charlotte, I almost liked Shirley more.

message 30: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) Oh, that's great! Then I'll definitely read that one then. Thanks :)

message 31: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Stephanie wrote: "April wrote: "Hannah wrote: "April: That's on my dusty Book shelf! We should do a Buddy read in Aprill!"

I'd love to! That's the only one on my dusty shelf...so I'll be reading it...was hopin' ..."

Then, we'd love to have you! :) It's always fun to discuss a read with others:)

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gxeninjo) | 53 comments I'm reading Emma right now, but I would love to do a buddy read on one of her other works in April. I still have Mansfield Park, Persuasion, and Sense and sensibility to read. I've been slowly working my way through her wonderful books. I've also been meaning to read the Brontes. It's so hard to decide which book to read next.

message 33: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) I could go for Mansfield Park. It wouldn't be a dusty for me, but I read so much I could fit it in.

message 34: by Dalynn (new)

Dalynn (dalynnrmc) I'm wondering if a post with the novels being read and who is reading them will be helpful? As far as those who are still trying to decide what to read, and any who join between now and April.

BTW, I love that we're deciding so far ahead of time. Uber cool points for planning availability. ;)

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Dalynn wrote: "I'm wondering if a post with the novels being read and who is reading them will be helpful? As far as those who are still trying to decide what to read, and any who join between now and April.

BTW..."

So, um, Dalynn if you want to get on that master post that would be great :D

I think one way to easily see if people are reading the same books as you in April will be to start an individual thread for that book in the books folder.

So does that mean I should post May's theme? Or is that too far ahead? :D

message 36: by Dalynn (new)

Dalynn (dalynnrmc) ppaaahahaha! I know, I know. ;) Such a task master, I am! LOL

Haha, you could certainly post it if you have it... I don't think anyone would object LOL, but I just meant posting it a full month ahead like this one was great. Knowing April's read at the end of Feb, with the full month of March in between. Know what I mean?

LOL I wasn't meaning to be bossy. :P I get that way sometimes though without intending to... sorry!! <3

message 37: by Hayley (new)

Sense & Sensibility is waiting until April now - still have a heck of a way to go tho' :S Hmm, this working, quilting and gym stuff is definitely cutting down on my reading free-time :(

If you look at the book you're planning to read on your bookshelf in the group it also says who else has it on their own shelves. As well as creating an individual thread for that book, that could help too :)

message 38: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Can I just say...I dislike this time of year...because I have to read every post to make sure someone isn't talking TO me...instead of about the month...OH...and my head turns much more than usual this time of year...because I hear April, April, April everywhere! Ugh!:)

Not really upset...but I have noticed..I end up reading more posts ALL the way through, because they have my name in them! LOL!

The Loopy Librarian (loopy_librarian) | 4 comments Absolutely love Jane Austen. I'll be reading Emma next month.

The Loopy Librarian (loopy_librarian) | 4 comments April wrote: "Anyone reading Emma? It's the only Austen on my DBC shelf:) . . .although I've got many more on my TBR list (but since I enjoy them, I didn't think I'd have trouble with those, so..they didn't ma..."

I'll be reading Emma!

message 41: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Maybe I will finally read "Mansfield Park", the only Austen I've never read. Thanks for the motivation!

message 42: by Casey (new)

Casey | 6 comments Hayley wrote: "April wrote: "Anyone reading Emma? It's the only Austen on my DBC shelf:) . . .although I've got many more on my TBR list (but since I enjoy them, I didn't think I'd have trouble with those, so....."

I'll be reading Emma; it's been on my shelf forever and has gotten pretty dusty. Plus, I didn't know when I would be able to get around to it, so April seems like a good time to pick it up.

message 43: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments I can compile a master list and send it to Jessica, and then she can edit the first post of the topic and put it there? Would that be good? (:

message 44: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Yay for Emma! Looks like we're getting quite a bit a an Emma group going:) Woot!

message 45: by Hayley (new)

This theme read seems to be getting a lot of support - it's good that even if you don't have a Jane Austen to read many of you are heading for Bronte or Austen related books - opens it up to so many more!

Emma was a very good read for me, really enjoyed it :D

Thalia: Master list for what? The books that everyone's choosing to read? Has everyone chosen those yet? Might be an idea to wait until closer to the time for anyone who's still working out which one to go for, but good idea :)

message 46: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments I can always just add in new members/books as they come in. (: I have one already, so from now until April, I'll just add any new posts I see!

message 47: by Dalynn (new)

Dalynn (dalynnrmc) Thanks Thalia! You rock. ;)

message 48: by Hayley (new)

@Thalia: If you've already made yourself one you're keeping up to date and that works best for you then that's great :D

I managed to sneak in some more reading of my current book so I should be onto some JA by April, thank goodness!

message 49: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments Dalynn, don't thank me. Thank my compulsiveness to be organized. OTL.

(;

message 50: by Dalynn (new)

Dalynn (dalynnrmc) Well, thanks to your compulsiveness then! I share your compulsiveness, but lack the clock resources to indulge it. ;)

« previous 1 3