Addicted to YA discussion

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)
This topic is about Clockwork Angel
Heroines > Tessa Gray (The Infernal Devices)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5143 comments Mod
Share your thoughts about Tessa

Nila | 139 comments i like her but she doesn't really do anything action-y, just sort of stands around absorbing things and breaking hearts (like Will's....)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Not true, she does Change. I like her and I think it will do Will good that her and Jem are together because Will is too pretty for her.

Nila | 139 comments that couldn't be more true. i love will

message 5: by Ela (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ela I like her changing power, but I always compare her to Clary and I prefer Clary.

Ophelia ॐ I love her as much as Clary! she is also a really strong character but i wish she would be more..of action...even though she does Change once in a while.

Noor (noor_a) | 197 comments I agree with you Fari!!! :) and the reason Tessa isn't action-y or badass it's cuz of the time she lives in. At that time there were a handful of woman shadowhunters. In the normal human world, things like killing and violence is something that is only associated with men and it would be appalling if a woman were to wear leggings/pants or carry a knife. All women did then was sit and have tea, go to parties, go for walks, shop, sight see and gossip. They took care of the house cleaned and cooked if they didn't have servers to do those things for them.

So that was the way Tessa was thinking when she met the shadowhunters. Only then did she realise things were a bit different, that there are more opportunities for woman in the shadowhunter world. She had never used a weapon which is why she had to be taught how to be the Lightwood brothers. So she isn't action-y because she doesn't know how to be.

She wants to help and you can tell she wants to part of the action, but she helps in her own ways- like changing. And occasionally throwing a chair or firing a fallen gun and missing. :)

Despite my want of more action on Tessa's part I think it is very realistic and believable for her not to be. It is better this way. I'd rather see her grow into it than have her transform instantly! :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

^^That is the reason why Cassandra Clare is a badass writer, she sticks to the setting.

Noor (noor_a) | 197 comments :) yup! :D

Zohal I love her.. better than Clary in my opinion

Tracy (Cornerfolds) (cornerfolds) | 16 comments I'm a quarter of the way through the first book and I'm still not sure if Tessa loves novels.

message 12: by cy (new) - rated it 4 stars

cy Tessa is better than Clary but DAMN GURL!!! why did u choose Jem?

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 3463 comments I enjoyed Tessa a lot more than Clary. I love her love of reading and books! I could relate to that so easily. Even though she can't really fight like the other shadowhunters, she is strong in her own way. I really like her with Will, but then again Jem is so sweet and they are adorable together! Ahhh which team to choose???

Bexxy (Desperately Seeking HEA's Blog) (desperatelyseekingheas) | 172 comments @Noor - I completely agree with everything you said about Tessa! She's one of my favourite categories, I'm not a fan of girls in love triangles but I loved how she handled that scenario as well. I found her a lot more likeable then Clary to be honest

message 15: by Noor (new) - rated it 5 stars

Noor Al lawati | 69 comments I though Tessa's character was suitable .. It fitted her time as Noor said .. and suited the course of events ..
She is strong though .. how she dealt with Will .. her brother's betrayal .. I liked her very much .. you could see her almost everywhere supporting them ..
I laughed a lot when she keeps questioning the familiarity in which the Shadowhunters treat each other with !

I felt sorry for her when she was broken by Will at first and fell for Jem .. then she knew that part of her will always belong to Will who didn't seem to want it ! .. then came Will's confession and she burned her hand may the pain of it ease her heart's pain ..
In the end I was totally in sync with her pain when Will dies and how she couldn't see him and share with him .. at that point I wished he was immortal or she a mortal .. it was too painful .. yet knowing the full ending including Jem eased it a teeeeny bit .. but knowing he is mortal didn't !!

jule_is_a_booklover Tessa is one of my favorite heroines EVER!
She's just so witty and kind and stands up for herself and her friends. I love it that she is so into books, I could identify extremely well with her.
And I love how she saves everyone in the end and isn't saved like a damsel in distress. ;-)

Mahjabin Meem I love Tessa far more than Clary(probably because she's a bookworm like me!?).
I liked her character very much and I like her mostly because Jem loves her. Surely she isn't a buttkicker but she has a kinda strength within herself which I love very much.

Bookiemonster | 35 comments Tessa gray is my favourite heroine. She is rank 1 among all female heroines. Why?

She fights. She looked for ways to escape the dark sisters, she ran to save her brother, she even did some action in that last scene in CP1.

She's clever. She tricked mortmain in the first book, figured out will had a second sister, and picked up a button from Aloysius' home.

She's caring. She talks to Sophie about her problems, soothes Cecily when she had a negative response and keeps the boys in line!

She's beautiful and she loves books, I know she says she's ugly, but in reality, we know she's actually very beautiful.

message 19: by C.C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.C. Faye (ccfaye) | 13 comments Strong willed girl, very smart talented girl and a very nice woman. She also loves everyone, especially her brother and Will and Jem. She is a very lovable character. Bookworm, just like Will!

Mariaisabelad | 11 comments Erika wrote: "Share your thoughts about Tessa"

I like Tessa. She's a different, exciting character. Polar opposite of Clary, tall, book-lover, smart and quite old-fashioned, she's really interesting. Just like Clary, they are both stubborn and brave (much like Boadicea!), which tends to help them when it comes to following their instincts. She's not afraid of getting her hands dirty, if it means saving the world. She's also quite exotic and beautiful. We also find she's incredibly clever and caring.

Tessa however, does have her flaws. For instance, she faces quite the intense love triangle when both Jem and Will fall for her, but she can't seem to either choose one, or tell both about each other (and avoid misunderstandings), which really causes a lot of trouble. She's also quite naiive to other people's emotions (but it's not something she can control).

Over all, she's an extraordinary character, who I found quite relatable and lovable! :)

message 21: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Ferraioli (bookaholic_17) | 44 comments I think in another time she would be a fangirl who also could kick some butt. I love that she is a book worm!

Mariaisabelad | 11 comments Lily wrote: "I think in another time she would be a fangirl who also could kick some butt. I love that she is a book worm!"

Totally! It's refreshing to see characters who read and who appreciate knowledge..

message 23: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat | 1553 comments Mod
I prefer Tessa over Clary. She's more thoughtful.

ReadersReligion | 45 comments I love Tessa (more than Clary) she wasn't a winy little thing, and in her day and time tried to learn badassery. She already was with her lack of keeping her mouth shut, and the nerd factor. She always knew what to say and do, and occasionally fight. She was AWESOME.

ReadersReligion | 45 comments I love Tessa (more than Clary) she wasn't a winy little thing, and in her day and time tried to learn badassery. She already was with her lack of keeping her mouth shut, and the nerd factor. She always knew what to say and do, and occasionally fight. She was AWESOME.

Tashy Jones | 149 comments If Will is by book boyfriend then Tess is my book best friend (I;m sure we can make it work!)
She doesn't take anyone's crap, despite being from Victorian times she doesn't let men fight her battles for her, she just get on with it and kicks some butt.
She's smart, and loves books nearly as much as I do (and that's saying something)
In general I think she's ruined me for friends

Julia Hörmayer Tessa is probably my favorite female character ever next to Hermione Granger.

Julia Hörmayer MB wrote: "I prefer Tessa over Clary. She's more thoughtful."

And Clary is soooooooooo annoying. Since she jumped through that portal in ... dunno ... book 3? I can't take her seriously anymore.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) | 1 comments Love her! Tessa was great, and I really admired her. I would love to have her as a friend.

Arely | 16 comments Tessa is my favorite female character ever. She is so lovely I love her

Sassy Herondale (sassy_herondale) | 65 comments Clary is sooo clingy and annoying unlike Tessa who's way more smarter and stronger.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Margaret wrote: "Love her! Tessa was great, and I really admired her. I would love to have her as a friend."

Same!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Totally Agree

message 34: by Fry (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fry Dino (fryingbooks) | 31 comments I loved her more than Clary Fray

message 35: by J (new) - rated it 4 stars

J I'm glad I'm not the only one who found Clary irritating. I liked Tessa right away.

Azaria Gerardo (bookflix) | 14 comments Love her.

message 37: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma | 10 comments I like her but it irritates me how she handles Jems situation. like We can save you! While Jem has already accepted that he is going to die. ( ive only read the first 2 books)

message 38: by Elayna (new) - added it

Elayna (fangirlskingdom-forfandomsonly) | 165 comments I love Tessa!

Nicole (nicolechantn) | 7 comments I loved how we got to get a backstory right at the start of the book about Tessa's childhood.

Elizabeth (Lizz_marie8) | 12 comments I love Tessa bc while she reminds me of myself, she also is who I want to be. She's intelligent, kicks butt, and is super sweet.

Elizabeth (Lizz_marie8) | 12 comments I love Tessa bc while she reminds me of myself, she also is who I want to be. She's intelligent, kicks butt, and is super sweet.

message 43: by Sivi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sivi (sivi9) | 33 comments I'm just half through the first book of the infernal devices, but so far I love Tessa. She's willing to do whatever it takes to save her brother and even though at first she may seem a little scaredy cat, she is really strong (I can't imagine going through all the things that happen to her) and she doesn't shy away from dangerous situations neither (going to a meeting full of vampires... okay!)

message 44: by Lina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lina | 81 comments I liked her character, she was wise, smart, and very interesting to read from. The infernal devices is one of my favorite trilogies, i liked that Tessa wasn't like most protoganist, yes she was in middle of a love triangle with Jem and Will, but what i liked and admired that she didn't separate their bond, like for example the love triangle in 'The vampire diaries' between Stefan,Elena and Damon, Elena did separate the brothers, why should they separate for some girl?
That is what i admired about Tessa, she wasn't selfish, she was smart and she thought before she acted. I really do admire her characters, those who haven't read The infernal devices and looking for a strong character to read from, this is your book, Tessa is truly an admirable character.

Itramsunshine I really love Tessa, and I find her very easyto relate to. Other really strong characters (like both Clary and Emma) are cool but I feel like Tessa gives us a point of

Itramsunshine *view that is very observant and not as active. But she is still very strong, only in different ways.

katherine (anonymous_penguin) | 72 comments TESSA. Tessa is the best heroine in the Shadowhunter world. Probably because I think Infernal Devices is sooooo much better than Mortal Instruments and Dark Artifices. But Tessa is great. Also,, the stuff about Tessa not doing anything, I get that, but I mean, she did do stuff. She did help the plot and help Will and Jem. Without her, Will wouldn't have been motivated to see if he could get rid of the curse, thus leading to the end of the Herondale line. And Charlotte wouldn't ever have become Consul, which means the Fairchild line may have died too (did she have a brother or like cousins? Okay, yeah, she probably wasn't the only Fairchild, but Clary would have been a Branwell and would have been like Clary Bray instead lol). Also, her turning into an angel towards the end of Clockwork Princess literally like destroyed their enemies and they were able to live. Also, you have to take into consideration the time period. Even though they're shadowhunters and prioritize that over traditional gender roles of the time, everyone probably thought she did a HUGE amount. Like, she was raised to have the life Jessamine wanted, not to have a life of action and saving the world, and yet she did that anyway.

Chloe Ellison  (chloeellison) I honestly love Tessa so much. I am only on Clockwork Prince at the moment but she has gone through so much and hasn't given up hope.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Katherine wrote: "TESSA. Tessa is the best heroine in the Shadowhunter world. Probably because I think Infernal Devices is sooooo much better than Mortal Instruments and Dark Artifices. But Tessa is great. Also,, th..."

I totally agree with you there. Tessa is not like the other heroines CC usually writes and I could identify with her so much more than I could with Clary/Emma.
Also agreed that TID was indefinitely better than TMI/TDA. I read TID before the other two series and didn't really care for them as much as I did for Tessa, Jem and Will. I never shed a single tear for Jace, but boy, did I cry my little heart out for Jem and Will...

lisa  grace ♡ Tessa is probably my favourite heroine of all time. She's so thoughtful and intelligent. I liked her way more than Emma and Clary, probably because I can relate to her more than to either of them. I love how she's such a bookworm. She's old-fashioned and sweet but still knows how to kick butt and save the world. I also like how selflessly she handled the Will-and-Jem situation. I would love to have her as a friend :)

« previous 1