Addicted to YA discussion

Heroines > Katniss Everdeen (The Hunger Games)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5168 comments Mod
Share your thoughts about Katniss

message 2: by Annabel ♥ (new)

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments I think she was really brave in the first book, but kinda annoying in the second & third. I didnt think she changed very much between the end of the first book and the end of the last book.... But I still liked her as a character.

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (cloveshay) | 109 comments She's like my fav heroine ever!

message 4: by Miah (new)

Miah I think she is a confident, brave young woman and I loved her throughout the whole trilogy, but I just wanted to mention that I thought she was a bit of a bitch when deciding whether to choose Peeta or Gale. She was constantly leading both of them on and never really made a decision til the very last chapter of the book. I feel sorry for both Gale and Peeta and I honestly didn't think she deserved either of them in the end (although I still wanted her to end up with one).

message 5: by Ela (new)

Ela I love the fact that she looked after Rue in the first book, even though she knows she shouldn't.

message 6: by Jay (new)

Jay | 1906 comments Katniss is cool and funny

message 7: by Lexi (new)

Lexi (readinglush) I thought she was wonderful, except when it came to feelings. it was one of those circumstances where I was yelling at her because she kept saying everyhing was for the game with Peeta, even though at one point it stopped being and she just didn't get it.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (AllTheRaeje) I can't say enough about Katniss. She is brave, bold, and fierce. She will go to any length to protect her loved ones. I got frustrated with her in the first book because she just didn't get it that Peeta loved her. But she was young, only 16 I believe, so her being naive is her age.

This girl has the weight of the world on her shoulders. She carries the fate of her district, of her family, and then in many ways the fate of Panem, and yet she forces herself to keep her chin up, walk with her head held high, and face her fate head on.

message 9: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean Oh Katniss. She is one of my top 5 favorite heroines. I loved how kick ass she was and how great she was with a bow. I loved how she would do anything to save and protect her sister. She is loving, caring, brave, and loyal. She is everything a heroine should be

message 10: by Stormy (new)

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 3463 comments I loved her in hunger games and catching fire, but she really started to annoy me in mockingjay. She just didn't have that same spark that drew me to her in the first books. But overall, Katniss is undeniably a very well rounded heroine with awesome traits and done great development.

message 11: by Lenke (new)

Lenke Kiss | 5 comments I loved her way of thinking, she's so brave and of course she resists the capitol and how she grew to such a strong person yet she was still kind of broken :) I liked that she was kind of "annoying" in the books... It just shows that no matter who you are, what your social status is, etc.. We all have demons are we're not perfect.. :) Hope this makes sense :P

message 12: by Mikicha (new)

Mikicha Goitia rueda | 2 comments i didn't read the books, i'm still waiting for them to arrive, but i saw the movie, and well i like the way she's :)

message 13: by verweven (new)

verweven Annabel ♥ wrote: "I think she was really brave in the first book, but kinda annoying in the second & third. I didnt think she changed very much between the end of the first book and the end of the last book.... But ..."

Agreed! In general I guess I liked the first book better than the last two.

message 14: by Cortiec (new)

Cortiec | 3 comments katniss will always be one of my most favorite heroines. Every hero/heroine I read after the hunger games trilogy I compare against Katniss.

message 15: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (heavensmommy2004) | 233 comments Miah wrote: "I think she is a confident, brave young woman and I loved her throughout the whole trilogy, but I just wanted to mention that I thought she was a bit of a bitch when deciding whether to choose Peet..."

I dont think she was a bitch, and I dont think she was intenionally leading either one on. Imagine loving gale but having to choose peeta to save themselves. Its not so black and white. Peeta was her friend, and try as she might to love him more than thst for everyones sake it just wasnt possible.

message 16: by April (new)

April | 557 comments I love how strong, fierce, independant, strong willed of a character that KATNISS is!! She is such a badass character!! I am currently re reading the series. But on the contrary I didn't find KATNISS annoying in any of the books! I like how Suzanne Collins made KATNISS have weak points and showed a few flaws and her humanness throughout Mockingjay- as well as the rest of the series is AMAZING!!!! KATNISS rules as a character!
How would you feel being seventeen years old- knowing the date of your country and your people rests on your shoulders- and the man you love is being tortured by the Capitol? It's it's a big job for just one person to handle- let alone a seventeen-eighteen year old girl who deals with everything that KATNISS goes through. I feel like it wouldn't be a very believable series if KATNISS didn't show some sort of weaknesses and whatnot throughout the series. The books would not have been as realistic as they are. I completely love the Hunger Games trilogy with a burning passion!! I also got my boyfriend into the series as well- well the movies- I still have to get him to read the books if he will lol! But anyways KATNISS Everdeen is one of my absolutely favourite, inspirational, strong, independent, kickass characters I have ever read!!

message 17: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (sapphirehodge) | 12 comments I just simply adore Katniss! she's such an awesome book character. She's strong, even when she thinks she isn't, she's independent and strong willed and I love the love she has for her family and for her community too. I love how she has flaws as well as good points and love her character development over the course of the three books.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Katniss! I feel that aside from Tris, Katniss is probably one of the strongest lead female roles I've read about in a long time.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I liked Katniss, but think she made the wrong decision about Peeta.

message 20: by Mason (new)

Mason Engel I've gone back and forth on Katniss. But I'm currently forth. Or back.
Anyway, I think she's a long overdue character. Aside from Hermione, the mainstream YA bubble has had a stark lack of strong heroines for a long time. At least a lack of the sort of strength Katniss has. She's not the typical female protagonist who, despite initially promising qualities, requires a male protagonist to prop her up and show her the way. Even Tris, to some extent, draws her strength from Four. Contrastingly, Katniss displays a rare independence unlike any contemporary heroine I've read. Her character should be closer to the heroine norm than it is, but it's still encouraging to see the overwhelmingly positive response she has received as a strong, feminist role model. J-Law may be on her way to Watson status.
So Katniss? Yeah, she's pretty neat.

message 21: by Alana (new)

Alana | 4 comments I think that the stress and fear she felt were very real instead of accepting things right away

message 22: by J (new)

J I think it's interesting that people keep lauding her for being a strong female main character when I feel like YA books today have almost nothing BUT strong female main characters and it's getting awfully boring.

TheBohemianBookworm I honestly am shocked after being on goodreads for a while and seeing how much flack katniss gets! Honestly I found her character to be super inspiring! Her strength and courage amaze me. Honestly, she survived in a situation where I and probably most wouldn't have lasted a day. From the minute she was willing to make the ultimate act of love by giving herself up for her sister was when I definitely was on her side.

TheBohemianBookworm J wrote: "I think it's interesting that people keep lauding her for being a strong female main character when I feel like YA books today have almost nothing BUT strong female main characters and it's getting..."

I'm hearing this comment a lot lately. Honestly I think we should be grateful that women are finally being treated as equals and give the same representation as male characters. I hardly think that's something to complain about.

TheBohemianBookworm Krystal wrote: "I just simply adore Katniss! she's such an awesome book character. She's strong, even when she thinks she isn't, she's independent and strong willed and I love the love she has for her family and f..."

Yeah! Loving the katniss love!

TheBohemianBookworm April wrote: "I love how strong, fierce, independant, strong willed of a character that KATNISS is!! She is such a badass character!! I am currently re reading the series. But on the contrary I didn't find KATNI..."

Woohoo! You really just said everything I wanted to say!

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie LaVoie (goodreadscomjuliemlavoie) I love Katniss, too, but I do feel like many authors are now using her as their heroine mold, and it's getting overused. I have a YA Dystopian out for preorder right now, and my main character has the courage and bravery of Katniss, but is naïve and caring to a fault. I hope readers enjoy the change of personality I've given my main character, Heart, in THE GLASS CEILING!

message 28: by Nelou (new)

Nelou Keramati (neloukeramati) Alana wrote: "I think that the stress and fear she felt were very real instead of accepting things right away"

Yes, I agree! It really felt like her reactions to her circumstances, both sensory and psychological, were very warranted and organic!

message 29: by J (new)

J Hannah wrote: "J wrote: "I think it's interesting that people keep lauding her for being a strong female main character when I feel like YA books today have almost nothing BUT strong female main characters and it..."

It's boring for a lot of us, plain and simple. I feel like I'm reading the same character over and over again, just in a different book.

message 30: by Alana (new)

Alana | 4 comments Yes I agree that a lot of people are using strong female characters but people used to be using a lot of strong male characters so you have to have a strong character of some gender unless you decide not to make them strong and brave so sure people were using a lot of strong characters like Katniss but some point people were using strong male characters so honestly I don't think it's a terrible change

message 31: by Aileen (new)

Aileen Morris | 32 comments I don't think Katniss was just strong, though. In some respects she was really mean and cold. She didn't mind killing people or animals and she could be very insensitive to her mother and Peeta. I think if a character is set up to be a strong role model, she should also set an example for proper ways to treat other people. But then, she grew up in a very cruel and unfeeling society, so perhaps it isn't surprising.

message 32: by J (new)

J Aileen wrote: "I don't think Katniss was just strong, though. In some respects she was really mean and cold. She didn't mind killing people or animals and she could be very insensitive to her mother and Peeta. I ..."

This is a good point. My brother was also saying this about her.

A lot of people would say that it's refreshing because that just means she isn't perfect, but I honestly thought it made her seem robotic and one-dimensional. Like she was incapable of feeling anything. It was those little displays of vulnerability (like her weakness for her little sister and Rue) that actually made her seem interesting to me.

message 33: by Alana (new)

Alana | 4 comments A good point

message 34: by Alana (new)

Alana | 4 comments A good point

message 35: by Jane (new)

Jane Jackson (janejackson91) | 18 comments There are a lot of good comments above. One common theme is that she has flaws. Which is good. Nobody wants a character who is too good to be true (like Peeta.) Let's face it, we all love the anti-hero. The one who is sometimes bad, screws up occasionally, yet still saves the day. And let's face it, that is most definitely Katniss. I loved the first book in the series. She was brave, she stepped up in place of her lil' sis, she totally kicked ass in the games, yet kept her humanity, didn't lose site of it, stood up for other weaker 'opponents'. Perfect.
However, I was annoyed by her attitude to romance, and her whining. By book 3 I just felt that the author should have given her a bit of a break. Made her smile occasionally, that kind of thing. After all, we have to associate with the main character, at the end of the day if we don't actually like them then who cares what happens to them, and I just found by the end I didn't much like her. Pity... So in summary, Katniss in book 1 - fab. By book 3, who cares?!?

message 36: by Camille ☼ (last edited Mar 25, 2016 03:42AM) (new)

Camille ☼ Someone told me recently they didn't like her much because she was always sad. And I mean, Katniss was put twice in an arena where she was supposed to outlive everyone else, then thrown in a rebellion during which she lost many people close to her, rather horribly. I'm not really sure how people expected her to react to all of this, I feel that for this reason she's one of the most credible character out there, because she whines, and cries, and feels depressed, and turns a bit insane or emotionless, and considering what she lived, it makes sense to me. That's what made her different for me, and interesting, she wasn't the usual heroine.

message 37: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 321 comments Yes, I always thought the way she ended up was realistic. For most of us, that kind of thing would have broken us long before we'd got to the end of it.

message 38: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 194 comments For sure one of the strongest heroines!

Cordelia the Ardent Reader Not my favourite, but definitely high up in the list. Piper Griffiths of the Steel and Stone series outshines her by a milestone.

message 40: by Quinn (last edited Sep 08, 2016 02:22AM) (new)

Quinn Esther (qristalquin) | 175 comments I honestly think that being in such a situation as taking care of her family since her father died, that put some kind of responsibility on her shoulders at such a young age, that she didn't have time for emotions and having to deal with her dad's death. Even in the first book, she wasn't happy with her mother who entered depression and the only person she had in mind was her sister. I don't blame her for being cold as she was. Putting myself in her shoes, I would have been way worse than she was. Though there were occasions where she was annoying as characters can be at some point, I felt she was strong enough and handled herself well for a teen with no mentor. At least I preferred her to Caelena in Throne of Glass who was supposed to be all strong but didn't see any atom at least in the first book.

message 41: by Carol (new)

Carol Douglas | 32 comments Katniss is a true hero. She learns something about tenderness from Peeta, but how could anyone raised in her sector and pitted against other young people in the Hunger Games be anything but tough?

message 42: by Johanna (new)

Johanna (johijoha) | 39 comments I honestly wasn't a huge fan of hers. The first book was ok. I liked how she took care of her family and of course primarily Prim, but I think as a heroine she was awefully passive in the later books. she doesn't really understand what is going on and once in awhile decides to rebel and almost screws over everyone else in the process. I was especialy annoyed with her in book three. Honestly, I get it, she is traumatist and broken ... Great! Congratulations! But she doesn't have to whine the whole time. And then she finally decided to use her power to do something heroic like try and save Peeta and the moment a problem comes up (he being brainwashed) she retreats agains and decides maybe she's better of with Gale after all. She only ended up with him by default in the end ... actually I hated the epilogue anyway. It was just such a jump! We leave her at the end of the story emotinally broken and depressive and then the epilogue comes and she is suddenly married and ... well still depressed and broken, but whatever. I didn't think it felt believable.
Thank god for fanfiction. I read a nice one that filled the whole between the last chapter and the epilogue and pictured the emotional journey necessary to heal and end up being married and having a family. Honestly I identified more with the Katniss in that story than with the one in all of the three books.
So, that is the end of my little rant. Sorry, I always needed to talk about that. xD

message 43: by Alexia (new)

Alexia (alexiahendrix) | 25 comments First book: kind of generic but Kickass Awesome.
Second book: stereotypical, more or less, but still cool.
Third book: absolutely unconventional because she's turned into a pawn without her own will.

message 44: by M (new)

M | 12 comments Katniss is so great and I love the relationship between her and Prim

message 45: by Lala (new)

Lala  Land (lamega) | 202 comments I wish that Prim didn't die :(

message 46: by Jenny (new)

Jenny H (jennyh95) | 6 comments Katniss is one of my favourite ever female characters. I think she is strong, independent and brave.

message 47: by Emma (new)

Emma Carrie | 2 comments I like the way Collins crafted Katniss: a mix of flaws and amazing character strengths. It made her both relatable and aloof, and I enjoyed that tension.

However, what amazes me is that by the end of the series this character is a failure, yet many laud her as a hero.

Katniss' goal throughout the series was to save her sister--first from the arena and then from the government. Yet her sister was killed, and by the side Katniss was working with. She failed.

Because readers know this is a dystopian, we see overthrowing the government as the big victory and win, but that wasn't what drove this character's core--at least not in my reading of it.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the series and Katniss. But I'm more impressed at how Collins captured hearts with this failed character.

message 48: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Lucas (jessicalucas) | 18 comments I loved her. She was one of my favorites in the series. She was always willing to help and stuck true to who she was and where she was from. All and all, Katnus was brave and selfless.

message 49: by Curtis (new)

Curtis | 602 comments Agreed

message 50: by Imaane (new)

Imaane | 93 comments Loved her spunk and courage. Totally in awe of her. Such an amazing and inspiring female lead. One of my absolute favourite heroines of all time.

« previous 1