Young Adult Fiction! discussion

national book award winner

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beckie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Beckie | 12 comments Seattle author Sherman Alexie has won the National Book Award for his highly autobiographical novel for young people, "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian."

Has anyone read this book? I just ordered it from my library? I've read most of the other books nominated for Young People's national book award, but not this one. I'm excited to read it. The title sounds so interesting.

message 2: by Meaghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:47PM) (new)

Meaghan (meggilyweggily) | 11 comments It's on my "books to read" list. Perhaps I'll get it out of the library next time I go, if someone else hasn't snatched it first.

message 3: by Julia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:47PM) (new)

Julia (julia_dale) | 1 comments i LOVE sherman alexie. i haven't read this either, but today i will probably order it for my library.

message 4: by Faith (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Faith | 2 comments i read this book earlier this week. and i loved it! I've never read anything else by him, but now i just might have to.

message 5: by amber (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

amber | 2 comments this is definitely on my to-read list. i haven't read any sherman alexie books so i can't wait to pick this one up.

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianes) I read this book when it first came out, and re-read it for my book club. I loved it!

message 7: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (mlhiggins84) I thought it was wonderful. He's coming to a college near me this fall and I'm hoping to get in and hear him speak.

message 8: by Swati (new)

Swati I did enjoy a lot of it. I thought the creativity in the comics was great. I did struggle with a bit of it; it felt a little thin and quick to me, running over important themes at a breakneck speed. As a result, I wondered if all this just happened to him or if there really was a unifying theme.

message 9: by Ken (new)

Ken I started but didn't finish it. Given the critical response, I expected to be swept away. Of course, it never helps when you read a YA book that can't possibly be placed in your classroom (sigh). It's the paradox of Young Adult stuff in the modern age, I'll tell you. Written for kids, but written for adults (or maybe and written for adults).

message 10: by Atomicgirl (new)

Atomicgirl | 6 comments I've read this book and enjoyed it immensely. Alexie knows how to write in teen speak and that will probably make it an improbable addition to a school library. But the authenticy of the voice of the main teen protagonist can't be denied.

message 11: by Derrith (new)

Derrith | 2 comments I am in love wth this book! Every student I have given it to has come back raving as well. It's hysterically funny, intensely personal and heartwrenching, and hopeful, all at the same time. Junior's diagramed sketches add a whole other layer to the story. Alexie explores the specific hardships of many Native Americans on reservations,with delicacy and humor, as he has in previous books. There needs to be more literature liek this with Native Americans as main characters!

message 12: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 36 comments I just loved this Alie book- he so deserve the National Book Honor. The book is compelling and funny at the same time. I read it, passed it on to my son who had to read it for a college class and he also loved it. It is on our Reading Olympics list this year and we make up questions and answers for quizzing the students...well I started reading it again to come up with the questions and COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN! Now that is a great book!

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Barko (steffercat) | 1 comments Another YA national award winner this year is
Mike Kearby's Ambush at Mustang Canyon.

The book was one of two Finalists for
Western Writers of America's 2008 Spur Awards.

Dorchester/Leisure Books releases the paperback on 1/1/09.

Visit www.mikekearby.com for info on the author.

Stephanie Barko
Literary Publicist
www.authorsassistant.com

message 14: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen I keep seeing this at the bookstore and have thought that I should read it, but never got around to it. But after reading all this positive feedback, I probably will do so as soon as I can. :)

message 15: by Patty (new)

Patty | 4 comments I just finished the book and loved it. It was funny, sad, and profound. It is my next reading selection for my high school boys' book club.