Goodreads Sci-Fi/Fantasy Authors discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy | 4 comments An incredable story about a young man who discovers an egg of a dragon. The egg hatches and a dragon is born, it's name is Seraphina.
Ergon becomes a dragon rider the story begins.
Christopher Paolini was 15 years old when he wrote this novel. His vivid descriptions of this world and his details are so inventive.
This is a must read if you love Tolkin.
It has swords, magic, dragons, a celtic world of faries, dwarves elves, shades and vardan. King Galbatorix is the villian.
I loved it and could not put it down

message 2: by Markaunit (new)

Markaunit | 4 comments yep a very good read, very simple english and plain simple fantasy. I am presently reading Brisinger. Personally I loved the character of Brom in the first novel.

message 3: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy | 4 comments I finished Brisingr and it is the best so far. I love the fantasy the Paolini describes.
My imagination, alas, is not as description as his.I am awaiting his next book. They say it will probably take another 2 yrs.

message 4: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (leslieann) | 48 comments I did not like 'Eragon' at all. It read like a middle schooler wrote it. I found it's many lapses in logic annoying and the plot completely derivative, and not in an interesting way. It so turned me off, that I've never bothered to read the sequels. Perhaps Paolini's skills as a writer improved in the next two books, but I've got so many other books to read by authors I know I like, that I won't take the time to find out.

message 5: by A.C (new)

A.C I hated it. It was predictable and ill written. When a 15 year old boy without Paolini's relations and family had try to publish it I bet they had sent it back with the words: Good try and keep on writing but you have to mature and grow up!

message 6: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy | 4 comments This was not written by an adult for adults, yet the following for it is immense. I enjoyed it. Eldest is better and Brisngr is wonderful, full of action, love and drama. I can't wait for the next book.

message 7: by Lil (new)

Lil (lilmar) | 26 comments I have read both Eragon and Eldest, but haven't gotten Brisingr yet, although I do want it.
I loved both of them so far and even though the movie did not follow the book as it should have, it was still pretty good, too.

Kjersti but you can call me Captain | 32 comments I suppose Paolini's series is alright...

However, it attracts a large audience because it is rather trash writing. It is the garbage of the fantasy world, chocked full of tried and true plots and cliche characters.

What I'm trying to say is, this is not a series to go down in classic ?American? literature. It will have a little fame, and fifty years from now it will be out of the public's mind.

message 9: by Lil (new)

Lil (lilmar) | 26 comments Kjersti but you can call me Captain wrote: "I suppose Paolini's series is alright...

However, it attracts a large audience because it is rather trash writing. It is the garbage of the fantasy world, chocked full of tried and true plots and ..."

Well, while that may be true, I will always remember it and so will my boys, who have read it as well. I think there is plenty of room in the world for books of all types. Much as some people love "Brave New World" some people love other types of books, like Eragon, and virtually all novels, whether they are scifi, fantasy, steampunk or whatever, will find their audience. Books are like people, there are billions of them and there is one out there for everyone. The author may never make a mint, but for most, they don't write for the money, but because they have a story to tell.

message 10: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy | 4 comments I enjoy many styles of writing and my book list shows how varied my reading is. This type of book is attracting many young readers and that is the best compliment you can give a book.
I enjoy a good adventure story especially one as inventive as this.
I would love to read one of your stories Captain.

message 11: by David (new)

David Korinetz In my opinion, a book should only be judged by the amount of enjoyment experienced by its readers. This transcends genre, style and originality. If the audience likes it, then it’s good.

message 12: by Leslie Ann (last edited Dec 17, 2008 10:42AM) (new)

Leslie Ann (leslieann) | 48 comments In my opinion, a book should only be judged by the amount of enjoyment experienced by its readers. This transcends genre, style and originality. If the audience likes it, then it’s good.

Excellent point, David, because opinions on books are so subjective. Even though I disliked "Eragon" and can critique it quite harshly in terms of style, originality, etc., I recognise and respect other people's divergent opinions on the book.

Kjersti but you can call me Captain | 32 comments The following does not have any fantasy elements /yet/. Be forewarned, this is still a rough draft, and I have yet to curb the profanity used by the three main characters.

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...

And this is a link to all the work I have posted on goodreads, including two roughs and a LOT of poetry.

http://www.goodreads.com/story/list/1...

I'm sorry I don't have anything else up, but I'm still working on it.

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 52 comments Oh very nice Captain, I had not read this part...is it a revision?

One of my favorite lines: "She was the picture of happiness when she looked into his eyes. But what about when she looked away?"

{oh, small typo, add "her" in the last line...Jasper watched {her} slip off into the crowd, aching. Why? Why didn't he ask why? }

Dee Marie

Kjersti but you can call me Captain | 32 comments No, I don't think the last part is a revision. I might just have worked on it after I asked your opinion.

message 16: by Jon (new)

Jon | 4 comments Sorry to be rude, but I am slightly older than Paolini was when he wrote "Eragon" and frankly can't see what all the fuss is about. It is; in my opinion, a fairly average book, there doesn't seem to be any special quality that sets it apart from other teen writers books, certainly not on any level high enough to have it compared to Tolkien, who could arguably have been the greatest Fantasy writer of all time.

message 17: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (leslieann) | 48 comments You are not being rude, Jon; quite the contrary! You expressed your opinion in a calm, reasoned manner with no disrespect to other people's opinions.

message 18: by John (new)

John Beachem | 6 comments The forces of an evil emperor have spread far and wide, and only a small band of freedom fighters dares oppose his armies. Drawn into this conflict is a young man – an orphan – who has been raised in a remote region with no true knowledge of his past. When an old man, who is a master of an ancient art that is all but forgotten, finds the young orphan, he takes him under his wing to help rescue a princess held prisoner by the armies of the evil emperor and to teach the young orphan about his true potential. A daring attack on the army’s stronghold succeeds in rescuing the princess, but the wise old teacher is slain in the battle. The young man takes the princess back to her friends in the rebellion, chased by the emperor’s henchman and his mighty forces, where they will make a final stand against the forces of darkness…

So tell me… am I describing Star Wars or Eragon? ;-)