Yoga Folks discussion

The Science of Yoga: The Risks and the Rewards
This topic is about The Science of Yoga
The Science of Yoga book chat > March read is The Science of Yoga

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Meryl Landau (meryldavidslandau) | 807 comments Mod
Hi all:

I'm excited to get started reading William Broad's The Science of Yoga for March. I hope you will be joining me. I'll be posting prompts on the first two chapters around March 7 or so; then the second third of the book a week later and the final third a week after that.

Please join the conversation even if you aren't reading the book. All of the yoga books that we read and discuss are as much about our own lives and practice as about the writing and reading, and everyone has much to contribute about that.

Namaste!
Meryl Davids Landau

message 2: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie (readerjules) I don't have time to start another book right now but I will follow the conversation. I am interested in finding out what this book has to say!

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie1014) | 195 comments I'm looking forward to it, Meryl! :)

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies | 14 comments I finally got the book from the library. i had a hold on it for like a month! will try to get into it, of course i'm reading like 3 books right now. a juggling act for sure.

Jenene i'm ready - i haven't started it yet, but i'm looking forward to it.

message 6: by Helen (new)

Helen | 14 comments Great! I hope to pick up the book today. I've been intrigued to read it ever since the NYT article came out and then I heard the author on several interviews, which gave quite a different slant to the book than the Times article did.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim Nixon (kim_nixon) | 11 comments Just joined today and will get the book, soon.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Can't wait to start reading! Thanks for the invite Meryl!

message 9: by Danie (new)

Danie (wandernwoman) | 28 comments I had to return the book, but I requested it again, so hopefully I'll get it back soon. Thankfully my library system has more than 20 copies of it! Looking forward to the conversation!!

message 10: by Alison (new)

Alison | 10 comments I just finished the book. I think that it is a balanced account of the science of yoga as it stands today while acknowledging that science cannot address the total experience of yoga practitioners. I am hopeful that this book will lead to safer yoga practices and to fewer fanciful claims about the practice itself; for example, the claim that pranayama increases oxygen to the body which is frankly incorrect. It is claims such as these that discredit the practice of yoga.

Meryl Landau (meryldavidslandau) | 807 comments Mod
Alison wrote: "I just finished the book. I think that it is a balanced account of the science of yoga as it stands today while acknowledging that science cannot address the total experience of yoga practitioners...."

Thanks for posting, Alison. Glad you enjoyed the book. I found it had a lot of interesting info, although I thought it was kind of disorganized and too detailed in some places.

I'm going to copy your comment into the official thread for the Science of Yoga book discussion of the whole book, so others will be sure to find it.