Dreamspinner Press discussion

Meet the Author > Meet Dany Sirene

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dreamspinner (new)

Dreamspinner Press (dreamspinnerpress) | 2637 comments Mod
Dany Sirene joins us today from 1-6 pm EST to talk about her new release, Fire Play and more.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 25, 2012 07:51AM) (new)

Good morning everyone!
For once, not only am I up on time, but I've had my coffee and am coherent.
Later on, I'm planning on doing a little contest/giveaway, but for now if you have any questions, shoot!
I'll also be posting excerpts, but if you prefer, there's lots of those, as well as free reads,
on my blog

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Noble Hi Dany!

Your link doesn't work, but I did find your blog, very nice!

Elizabeth

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments I also can't see the link :(

Susan

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

There! That should be better :)Maybe I spoke too soon and do need another coffee after all.
Thanks for stopping by!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

A gorgeous man to wake you up en beauté :)
description
His name is Bartek Borowiec. He is Polish and apparently very elusive, I couldn't find anything about him except loads and loads of pictures.
description
Remind you of a character by any chance?

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments That's a lot of hair on a bloke :) All wind-swept!

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments You gonna give us a taste of your writing, Dany? I may have just had dinner, but there's always room for dessert.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep, don't know if it's his natural hair color but then again... who cares :D

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

It's coming :) I'm wrestling with my computer at the moment.
Hehe, it's 11 in the morning where I'm at.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments 6 p.m. where I am :)

No worries. We're a patient bunch here.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Aha! Here we go.
Fire Play excerpt: Noise Complaint

Without hesitating, Lau headed to the closed door at the end of the hallway and opened it just a crack. “No one.” He motioned for Jesse to join him.

The room was Sylvie’s bedroom. The only illumination came from the string of red LED lights stapled to the ceiling; the walls were some shade of red, too, and covered with music posters. Lau busily shoved the pile of clothes from the bed onto the floor, and Jesse heard the jingle of chains and belts.

“You act like you own the place.” Jesse giggled nervously.

“Sylvie will forgive me.” Lau shrugged.

Who on earth wouldn’t, Jesse wondered when those lush, soft lips touched his. His heart hammered like crazy in his chest, and he suddenly felt lightheaded, as if floating outside his body, watching himself from above as Lau gently brushed a strand of hair out of his face. Jesse kissed him back shyly, realizing halfway through that his arms were still awkwardly hanging at his sides. As if he wasn’t sure if it was okay to touch Lau, or how to do it. So he slipped his hands around Lau’s waist, marveling at how taut and muscular he was under his formfitting T-shirt.

Lau let Jesse’s hands rest where they were, moving on to his neck. Jesse shuddered. He thought he didn’t understand what the deal was with the necking, but the shivers that Lau’s lips sent down his spine explained everything; a soft touch, gentle suction on the skin, a light nip of teeth—it was enough to make him hard in a heartbeat.

His whole body trembled with anticipation, but he stayed perfectly still, afraid to move, like it might scare him away. Lau, meanwhile, took his time. He slipped his hands just under the hem of Jesse’s shirt, caressing the stripe of exposed skin above his belt. Jesse instinctively tightened his abs. Gooseflesh specked his stomach and arms. He breathed in sharply when Lau casually hooked his fingers behind the waistband of his pants.

“Scared?” he murmured, still kissing Jesse’s neck. Jesse grew very aware of his hard-on grinding into Lau’s hip, and whether or not he was scared suddenly lost its relevance. Gently, Lau pushed him down onto the bed, letting go of his belt. Jesse tried to protest but then relaxed, stretching out on Sylvie’s black bedspread. His head spun a little, with the alcohol but mostly with excitement. Lau was unbuckling his belt, undoing his pants, and something in the back of Jesse’s mind protested, but the rest of him was too far gone to resist the temptation.

Lau, in the meantime, began to kiss his stomach. His tongue flicked over Jesse’s navel, making his muscles twitch.

Is he really going to…. Jesse wondered, even though he was already certain of two things: that yes, he was going to, and that there was nothing in the world he wanted more at that precise moment.

He seriously thought he’d come in his pants when Lau began to tug them down, his lips brushing against the newly exposed skin. Jesse let his eyes close, and his breathing was quick and shallow, when suddenly Lau was on top of him and kissing him on the mouth again. He felt Lau grind his hips sharply onto his stomach and felt Lau’s erection, hard and hot, through the thin layer of vinyl.

He opened his eyes, and Lau’s face was close, so close. God, he was perfect. Beyond perfect.

There was some kind of noise outside that momentarily pulled Jesse out of his trance, but Lau didn’t seem to notice or care, so he ignored it too. Then there was a sharp knock on the door.

“Police!” boomed a voice outside.

Lau winced like it was just some minor inconvenience. Jesse, though, sat up, panicked.

Lau rolled his eyes. “Relax. Just ignore them.” He gently tried to push Jesse back onto the bed, but Jesse wriggled out of the way. “I… we….” He felt his face grow hot and realized that he must be turning scarlet right now.

Lau laughed, shaking his head. “You’re not in the States anymore. No one here cares about this shit.”

But then someone pushed the door open. Light from the hallway flooded the room, forcing Jesse to squint, covering his eyes with his hand. The cop peeked in. He was youngish, with spiked hair, looking more bulky than he was because of the ominous black vest he wore.

“Get out of there,” he snapped. “Anyone else?”

Jesse slowly shook his head no.

“Is there a problem?” asked Lau, his voice sweet as honey.

“Noise complaint,” said the cop flatly. “Now can we please have everyone out in the hallway, and let’s see some ID.”

Here's another excerpt...

...and another one

...and one more!

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebecca_cohen) | 90 comments Hiya Dany

I've just read the blurb for your new release... sound facinating! Where did the Fire demiurge idea comes from (is it a fairy tail/folklore)?

Rebecca

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Rebecca! The whole "fallen god" idea I got from Norse mythology and the story of Loki. And Lau is a Fire demiurge because I love anything that has to do with fire-based powers-- pyropaths, dragons, you name it. So that would be blatant author appeal. :)

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebecca_cohen) | 90 comments Dany wrote:And Lau is a Fire demiurge because I love anything that has to do with fire-based powers-- pyropaths, drago..."

Sounds great... I do love a healthy dose of Norse myths!

R

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments Those are some wonderful excerpts! Lau is certainly one of the most, um, self-assured men in the world. Cocky and arrogant - and sexy :)

I like Jesse's vulnerability. I think it's a great way to introduce Lau to humanity, by giving him a counterpoint with Jesse who is learning to come to terms with his homosexuality.

This is going on my to-read list.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

:) Yay! Thank you Susan. I hope you like the book.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments Coming out stories (hold the violence) are always interesting, and with a paranormal twist to boot. Won't miss this!

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments So, can you tell us a bit about yourself and what you're going to write next?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, let's see... I live in Montreal and I'm working towards my degree in creative writing. English is my second language, which sometimes makes it less than easy. But hey, over here I'm hardly the only one with this problem. :)

I'm always working on a gazillion different projects. Some of them take, others don't. Right now I'm putting the finishing touches on a novel about a New Russian rich boy and his less-fortunate lover. It was such a fascinating setting to work with. Russia has very different attitudes towards a lot of things, unfortunately, and there is a stark contrast between social classes as well as all the post-Soviet cultural baggage.
Also, I have a paranormal in the works, and another novella set in the goth subculture. But we'll see how it goes.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments Goth subculture? Now that does sound interesting. Not a lot of those out there - unless they are tragedies. I'm looking forward to this one. Do keep us up to date, yeah?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Fire Play is also set in the goth scene, sort of. There are a few books like that, you just have to look for them :) Last one I read was A Bar Tender Tale, set in the alternative/punk scene in the UK. If you come across any others, do send the links. I'm always happy to find a new one.

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments Dany wrote: "Fire Play is also set in the goth scene, sort of. There are a few books like that, you just have to look for them :) Last one I read was A Bar Tender Tale, set in t..."

Thanks for the recommendation. Placed that book on my to-read immediately :)

I just got Fire Play from DS, too.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay! I'm curious to see how you find it.

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments I usually like reading about cocky, arrogant dickheads who charm the pants out of young, sweet, innocent guys. You know, the kind of guys I'd punch in the face in real life.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yes... me too. Don't we all.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

All right, I think I have to run out and get some cat food before this description creature eats me. I'll be right back. :)

message 28: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebecca_cohen) | 90 comments Dany wrote: "All right, I think I have to run out and get some cat food before this creature eats me. I'll be right back. :)"

LOL - cats are the same the world over ;)

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 25, 2012 10:48AM) (new)

All right, my feline lord and master has been appeased. I'm back. :)

All right, for the giveaway thingy I promised: it's simple. Comment before midnight and I'll pick one commenter at random who will get a free ebook copy of Fire Play. I'm only here 'til 6 or so, but I'll be around. ;)

message 30: by Sue (new)

Sue Brown (sue_brown) | 190 comments Nice excerpt, Dany.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you!:)

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments It's 9:30 p.m. here in Finland, so I'm off.

Thank you, Dany, for sharing your thoughts and excerpts with me. I hope you have a great chat!

-Susan-

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks! Have a great evening. Finland... that's so cool btw.

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments Dany wrote: "Thanks! Have a great evening. Finland... that's so cool btw."

Cold is the word for it, as it's freezing here ATM :D

Night.

message 35: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebecca_cohen) | 90 comments Signing off... 8.30 in Switzerland, so heading out for dinner.

Good luck for the release and your future projects :)

Rebecca

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks! Have an awesome Saturday night. Hmm we're from all over the world here aren't we. ;)

message 37: by Jana (new)

Jana Denardo | 107 comments This sounds like a lot of fun. I love stories with a fantasy background and the fire angle is a plus. The excerpts are very intriguing.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you Jana!

message 39: by Jana (new)

Jana Denardo | 107 comments I also see you have a paranormal story in the works. Good luck with that one. That is probably my favorite subgenre. I also enjoy the Goth scene

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes! Anything that's goth/punk/alternative... if you know any other books like that, do recommend.

message 41: by Fehu (new)

Fehu | 10 comments Hallo Dany, I've got Fire Play already but haven't had the chance to give it a go as of yet. Could you pehaps see if it can be shelfed for our bingo challange categories?

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Fehu. I'll do that! Thanks for the tip.

message 43: by Jana (new)

Jana Denardo | 107 comments Sadly right off the top of my head I don't. Too many I do know portray it as a negative which, yeah not worth recommending.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Fehu wrote: "Hallo Dany, I've got Fire Play already but haven't had the chance to give it a go as of yet. Could you pehaps see if it can be shelfed for our bingo challange categories?"

Uh. Bottle-blonde moment: how do I do that again?:P

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Jana wrote: "Sadly right off the top of my head I don't. Too many I do know portray it as a negative which, yeah not worth recommending."

Negatively? That sucks. I haven't encountered any of those so far. I read a novella a while back that sort of showed that scene in a negative light, but the scene itself was mostly a backdrop (one character was an undercover cop and the other was an undercover journalist, and no actual goths :P)

message 46: by Jana (new)

Jana Denardo | 107 comments that's where I see it a lot. Mysteries is the genre I read most so the Goths have become the usual suspects. At least we get to see it positively (or at least the dress) on NCIS

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments Jana wrote: "that's where I see it a lot. Mysteries is the genre I read most so the Goths have become the usual suspects. At least we get to see it positively (or at least the dress) on NCIS"

Abbey is pretty fun and positive as a person :)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Abby is awesome! One of my favorite depictions of Perky Goth anywhere, ever. And she looked good as Marilyn Monroe in that Halloween episode. *blushes*

message 49: by Jana (new)

Jana Denardo | 107 comments agreed

message 50: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5 comments Congratulations on the new release, Dany. I love the title, Fire Play. Wishing you all the best as far as sales and read appreciation goes. I see it already has a 4-star review. Way to go.

alan chin

« previous 1