Struggling Writers discussion

*Archives * > Second Hand Books

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace Jensen (panthercat38) | 10 comments Did you get them from the thrift? Garage sales? Or someone's basement? Either way, I love finding treasure this way, cheap classics and uncommon reads. Share your finds and creepy stories!

For instance, I found a copy of Christopher Moore's Island of the Sequined Love Nun. I got so excited I snatched it up. Completely forgetting I already have a copy, I just haven't read it yet. So, it's getting passed on to a friend.

Creepy and interesting, one of the thrift stores had THREE copies of Your Erogenous Zones at one store. With the creepy 70's guy on the cover and everything.

I've managed to find odd things like 1944 printing of "Japan's Island of Mystery," a 1964 copy of "Harlow, and Intimate Biography," and 1989 copy of "Salieri, Rival of Mozart: Forward by F. Murray Abraham."

What have you guys found that you can't believe people would part with?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Grace wrote: "Did you get them from the thrift? Garage sales? Or someone's basement? Either way, I love finding treasure this way, cheap classics and uncommon reads. Share your finds and creepy stories!

F..."

Before you part with any of the titles mentioned I would investigate their value - one never knows you may have something of value!

I am banned from the thrift shops for now, we are moving house later in the year and I have enough junk of my own to get rid of so I am informed!

The last husband that said something along those lines ended up an ex husband!

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess Schira I've found lots of good used book buys at Goodwill stores. My favorite used book stores is an old caboose that still sits on an abandoned section of rails. Friends and I go out of our way just to visit the store.

message 4: by Grace (new)

Grace Jensen (panthercat38) | 10 comments I've been lending mine out too. And someone bent it.
So, I need to publicly thank them.

I now have reason to buy the collector's edition. :D

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Grace wrote: "I've been lending mine out too. And someone bent it.
So, I need to publicly thank them.

I now have reason to buy the collector's edition. :D"

That's why I don't lend mine out, if I want to keep the copy pristine the answers no buy your own I had too!

I do pass on my books as once read will only gather dust I'm not a person to read the same book twice!

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) This topic has been archived as of 5/4/2013.

message 7: by Grace (new)

Grace Jensen (panthercat38) | 10 comments Speaking of something of value, I found a first edition Gore Vidal Lincoln hardcover with the dust cover, just a little worn.

I GOT IT FOR A QUARTER AT THE THRIFT!!! I'm still proud of that one.