Clean Romances discussion

Terri Reid
This topic is about Terri Reid
Welcome!! > New member/writer

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terri (new)

Terri Reid | 13 comments Hi!

I just joined the group yesterday and am eager to read more about your opinions on clean romances. I have a paranormal mystery/romance series called the Mary O'Reilly Paranormal Mystery Series that has romance, but not sex. I knew I wouldn't feel comfortable with characters who had sex before marriage and, although I was a little concerned about the reception to my books, I was delighted to receive so many comments from readers thanking me for clean romances. I think this is a growing trend and I'm so glad I found this group.
I've placed my books on the shelf.

Thanks - looking forward to getting to know you!

Terri

message 2: by Carmen (new)

Carmen DeSousa (carmendesousa) | 14 comments Hi, Terri.

I understand. I've had very positive feedback on my novel, and yes, they waited until they were married.

You know what's funny. Not that Twilight is a great example of literary material, but it does have some great morals. When I hear comments from teenage girls in my youth group who love the novel, I ask them, "Why?" I haven't met one who says because he was chivalvarous and old-fashioned minded, but I have a sneaky suspicion that is exactly why girls (young and old) are drawn to the series.

People can say anything they want about the writing. Twilight was original and expresses great moral character, which so few men, or ladies, posses today. And if you haven't seen the last one, I won't spoil it for you, but let's just say it deals with one of the most controversial, ethical, and moral situations of our day.

My best to all readers of just good, clean, fun fiction.

Carmen DeSousa

http://www.carmendesousa.com/

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri Reid | 13 comments Hi Carmen,

I agree with your assessment of Twilight - my daughters loved it. I think, as writers, we also have a responsibility (especially if our readers are young adults) to portray a different option for them. When young adults read romance/sex books - the standard for them is "Wow. When I fall in love, I'll have to immediately sleep with him, because that's the way they do it in...the movies...in the books...on television." If we can portray strong, caring, and "hunky" male characters who are willing to wait because they love the women in their lives - I think we give young woman another pattern to consider. And they can expect more from the men in their lives.

message 4: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Myrick (gingermyrick) | 143 comments Have no daughters or thoughts on Twilight, but welcome to the group, Terri!

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri Reid | 13 comments Thanks Ginger. :)

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Comeaux | 57 comments Terri wrote: "If we can portray strong, caring, and "hunky" male characters who are willing to wait because they love the women in their lives - I think we give young woman another pattern to consider. And they can expect more from the men in their lives."

Welcome, Terri! Beautifully said, and I couldn't agree more. One of my readers commented that she was so happy to find a heroine whose principles she could identify with. I treasure comments like those!

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri Reid | 13 comments Thanks Jennifer. :) I agree!

message 8: by Joyce, Group Creator (new)

Joyce | 592 comments Mod
Welcome, Terri! You'll find many authors here who are trying to accomplish the same thing you are with your books...giving readers young and old a nice, safe romantic read, and yes, showing our youth that morals and principles still matter and are attainable. If there is strength in numbers, then as this group grows, we will surely help to make a difference in the world!

message 9: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Tisdale (suzantisdale) | 11 comments I agree Terri! I wish there was a way to encourage young women to read such things instead of watching the stuff on TV that portrays women as catty, selfish and ugly. Please continue your good work and I look forward to reading your book! ;o)

Suzan T.

message 10: by LAWonder10 (new)

LAWonder10 | 108 comments Terri, I will look for your books. Thank you for joining the throng of clean writers and adding to the reading enjoyment of those of us who yearn for "Clean" Authors who know how to use words to stimulate romance yet have taste to not use bad language either.

message 11: by Ginger (last edited Feb 27, 2012 05:57PM) (new)

Ginger Myrick (gingermyrick) | 143 comments Terri,
I checked out your books, and they look great! Just so happens that I downloaded a bunch of classics over the weekend (Frankenstein among them) and have already started reading The Picture of Dorian Gray, but yours are on my wishlist! I completely understand how you felt about the suprisingly pleasant reception of a 'no sex' book. I make allusions to the act in mine but no descriptions. I've said before that as far as I'm concerned, as soon as the deed is done, the romance is over! Oh, and Suzan, Laiden's Daughter is also on my list!

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy Keeley (safire_blue) | 89 comments Terri wrote: "If we can portray strong, caring, and "hunky" male characters who are willing to wait because they love the women in their lives..."

I really agree with this. I feel that if more women are more willing to wait, the guys will be more willing to go along with it. Plus, guys (the ones worth having) respect a woman more if she waits.

Not all my heroines in my novels believe in this like I do, but the stories stay clean, thank goodness. (I think they know I'd fire any character that tries to dirty it up.)

message 13: by Terri (new)

Terri Reid | 13 comments Thanks for all of the wonderful greetings. :) I'm in the midst of Book 7 - so I only occasionally come up for air. ;) Special thanks to all of you willing to check out my books! :) Terri