Terminalcoffee discussion

Side of the Milk Carton > Literary pet names

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3389 comments Which author or character has been the inspiration for your pet's name?

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindacee) | 292 comments well, I'm allergic to cats and my house-mate is allergic to dogs so this is my dream pet.....

Dernhil from The Naming by Alison Croggon (I can just see him as big black friendly dog!)

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7073 comments Henry: (fat male yellow cat) for Henry VIII

Roxanne: (little yellow female cat) for the Police song

Carl: (male border collie mix--freaking adorable) for the children's picture book "Good Dog, Carl" featuring the famous Rottweiler/nanny

message 4: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) My cat has a regal name - Cleo (short for Cleopatra). She has the haughty attitude to go with it.

message 5: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I didn't get to name my pets, they were already named and I didn't want to confuse them. But my roommates' cat is named Neville (for Neville Longbottom from Harry Potter).

My sister named her horses after characters from Anne Rice: Lestat, Louis and Rowan.

message 6: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4258 comments My daughter named our cat "Lumos" after a spell used by Harry Potter.

message 7: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4258 comments Barb wrote: "I don't think I've ever named a pet after a literary character ... but we did have 2 cats who we named Felix and Oscar after The Odd Couple.
Our dog is named for candy ... Reese - for a Reese Pean..."

My friend had two cats named Bookem and Danno.

message 8: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) My 4-month-old kittens are named Brontë and Browning.

message 9: by Cheri (last edited Feb 26, 2012 01:50PM) (new)

Cheri | 795 comments I had a Fjord (Icelandic) horse named Jasper after author Jasper Fforde The Eyre Affair.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Cheri, cute name, but did you have one of these?

or one of these?

Fjords are from Norway, Icelandic horses are the only breed from Iceland.

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7073 comments One of my Facebook pals has an older black lab with a gray muzzle named Jesus.

message 12: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3389 comments Beautiful horses.

I was sitting under the carport late one night when a totally black and full-grown male cat walked up and jumped into my lap. I called him Atticus. Great cat.

message 13: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4258 comments Resistance is futile.

message 14: by Cheri (new)

Cheri | 795 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Cheri, cute name, but did you have one of these?

or one of these?

Fjords are from Norway, Icelandic horses are the only breed from Iceland."

My guy was much smaller, almost ponyish. Extremely bushy haired. Coloring like the first pic but bigger head and shorter neck. I'll find a picture and post.

message 15: by Susan (last edited Jan 04, 2013 07:57PM) (new)

Susan | 6406 comments A cat named Bandit (from Smokey and the Bandit),
A cat named Tigger.
My boy dog is named Atticus and is often called Finch or both when in trouble.
Two pleco fish, one named Scout the other was Chud (for the horror flick C.H.U.D).
A fantail goldfish named Boo.
Two chow/lab mixes, that were brothers, named Butch and Sundance.

message 16: by Riona (last edited Jan 04, 2013 09:12PM) (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 488 comments None of my pets right now have literary names, but I always wanted a cat named Hagbard Celine (from The Illuminatus! Trilogy). I thought that was pretty much the coolest name ever when I was about 15. I always pictured this hypothetical cat as being a long-haired tabby, maybe orange. One day.

message 17: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments My unofficial cat that's really a cat of my parents is named after a cat from a children's book. His name is Findus.

message 18: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments We call his brother Eeyore.

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments Susan wrote: "A cat named Bandit (from Smokey and the Bandit),
A cat named Tigger.
My boy dog is named Atticus and is often called Finch or both when in trouble.
Two pleco fish, one named Scout the other was Chu..."

Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers!

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments YES!

message 21: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) All three of my cats are named after boom characters.

Emma - Jane Austen
Tas (short for Tasslehoff Burrfoot) - the Dragonlance books.
Belle (Mirabelle) - Shopgirl by Steve Martin

I have had fish named Lewis (Carroll), Leo (Tolstoy) and Ed (Poe).

message 22: by Anya (new)

Anya | 1 comments Amelia wrote: "All three of my cats are named after boom characters.

Emma - Jane Austen
Tas (short for Tasslehoff Burrfoot) - the Dragonlance books.
Belle (Mirabelle) - Shopgirl by Steve Martin

I have had fish ..."

I have a rottie named Kender...it was Tas but I got rudely impatient at how often people thought I meant Taz! lol

message 23: by Halyna (new)

Halyna (halene) I came up with a literary name for my cat after I've already named him something else, because at first I didn't know his breed or even gender (I picked him up from the streets). But if I had a chance I'd have named him Bender after Ostap Bender from The Twelve Chairs by Ilf and Petrov, because my cat's a turkish angora and Ostap Bender was the son of a turkish patrial. =)