Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) Dead Until Dark discussion

Do you like the book covers of the series?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Torie I know this is trivial and I know someone will bring up that whole "don't judge a book by its cover" idiom, but seriously, do you guys like the covers? I never really liked them and wondered if anyone else felt the same way.

message 2: by Katerina (last edited Feb 26, 2012 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katerina I have to disagree with you; I believe the artwork on the covers is very tasteful. In fact, I regret that I only own 8 of the books with such a cover while the rest have photos of characters from the show.

Beth Roberts No, I don't particularly care for the covers.

Lori I know we're not supposed to "judge a book by its cover" but I do....and I don't like the covers for this series either. I was already attached to the characters from watching True Blood, or I might never have picked these up. But, on the other hand, the covers do somewhat jive with the quirky tone of the books (as opposed to the dark feel of TB's interpretation). Can't wait for the new book...whatever the cover!

Tracy I don't like the covers. I almost didn't read them because of the covers. When I look at them it reminds me of a four year olds art work. I know that "you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover" but some people would be amazed at the # of people that do. 9 out of 10 times that I'm standing in line at the bookstore I 'll see a kid go up to their Mom asking if they can get a book and the Mom's response has literally been "No, I don't like the picture on the cover it looks too scary/adult/inappropriate/below or above your reading level" and they come to this conclusion without opening the book or reading the synopsis on the back. I think a lot of authors lose book sales due to poor cover art.

Kelly| Just Another Horror Reader No I don't like the covers at all. The series is so good. It deserves better covers.

Mary I don't like the covers either. Someone told me to read the series and when I went to the book store to buy one, I looked at it and put it back, walked around went back and picked it up again, opened it up and read a little bit just to see if I would like itit. I loved it. I have finished with the the series that have been published and looking forward to the next one.

Kirby I agree w/ tracy that they look like a little kid drew the pictures...it just doesn't seem like a lot of effort was put into it.

this is one of the few cases where I actually like the tv show covers better.

Torie Haha! Nice to see some people feel the same way. I get kind of embarrassed to read these in public just because the covers make it look like a weird children's novel.

Amber Cruey I love the books and hated the childish cover..... If it were for this site recommending the series I wouldn't never had read them.... But I'm glad I did cause I loved the series and can not wait for the next one....

Amber Cruey I love the books and hated the childish cover..... If it were for this site recommending the series I wouldn't never had read them.... But I'm glad I did cause I loved the series and can not wait for the next one....

message 12: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth I actually like the covers. I hate buying books with pictures from the series or movie on the front. So tacky!

Jackie That's why I love reading on a Kindle... no one can see the cover while I read so I don't have to be embarrassed by the cover art. That being said, I don't mind these covers, I really prefer it to the overly cheesy "realistic" covers on most fantasy books and since I'm not a fan of the HBO series I wouldn't want those people on my covers anyway :-)

message 14: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth I like to read on my Kindle, too. But I have to read from a book, now and then. I miss the feel of it...LOL.

message 15: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori Amber wrote: "I love the books and hated the childish cover..... If it were for this site recommending the series I wouldn't never had read them.... But I'm glad I did cause I loved the series and can not wait f..."

I agree! I hate buying a book with a cover consisting of a movie poster!

Heather I don't like them, but I don't dislike them. I received the first couple books as a gift, and I know that if I would have saw them in the store I probably wouldn't have picked them up. With that said though, I would never buy the books with the show covers. I don't watch the show and don't plan on it, so I think it might be misleading to people who would see my bookshelf.

Carol I must be the only one, but I love the original covers. Folk art isn't the right term, but it is something like that. Outsider art. That's it. I think.

I'm embarrassed to read the ones with the pictures of Anna Paquin and such. I like her fine, but I hate when publishers start putting photos of TV or movie characters on the original novels.

message 18: by Tori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tori Carol wrote: "I must be the only one, but I love the original covers. Folk art isn't the right term, but it is something like that. Outsider art. That's it. I think.

I'm embarrassed to read the ones with the p..."

I love the covers too! The illustration style is a big part of what drew me in, unlike just about everyone else here.

message 19: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Oh I like the covers. I think they go with the quirky series.

message 20: by Will (new) - rated it 5 stars

Will Mcclinton The covers are okay. The stories are good reading. The HBO series uses more sexual encounters than the books do but I'm a male viewer so it's not an issue.

message 21: by Will (new) - rated it 5 stars

Will Mcclinton If I had seen the series first I might not have read the books.

Carol Will wrote: "If I had seen the series first I might not have read the books."

Tru dat!

Nalu.chan the covers kinda grew on me... in the begining I didn't like them also, but as I read the series, they stopped bothering me so much. Actually, what I don't really like are the books that come with the tv series covers. Seriously, the show almost doesn't have anything to do with the books (I think that the basic plot is the same, but the tv version has a lot of distortions), so it seems just plain stupid putting it as cover on the book.

JulieLaLa I like the cover art. They're kind of fun. The image is a good representation of the story. I prefer these images to the ones of the HBO series.

Julie I love the book covers! Big fan of the books, but not so much the show. Probably cause I'm a little older. So, I would rather have the original book covers.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the old covers but I dislike the HBO covers. It's just promotion and they show photo's of people who aren't even in the books; Lafayette, Jessica, ... and it takes away the feeling of how different the two actually are. The show is only partially based on the books in the way of character introduction so I would've preferred it separated but yeah, we have that problem with so many bookcovers.

Megan I love the covers--it's what made me notice the books in the first place.

Maggie I love the original covers, not the trueblood ones.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) I dislike all the covers and the show, but love the books.

Maggie The trueblood covers have mistakes like having Jessica on Club Dead's cover.

Maggie Sara wrote: "It's deceiving to put the Trublood characters on the Sookie Stackhouse books, the only thing the two have in common are the names of the main characters and the books were first, their original cov..."

I agree. It feels like they are trying to force our hand on what the characters really look like by adding trueblood people to the Stackhouse covers. I don't like imagining Sookie as looking like the over-acting Paquin.
Though I do wonder about the whimsy of the original covers.

Torie Haha I just try to picture a young Denise Richards as Sookie instead of Anna.

message 33: by Faye (new) - rated it 3 stars

Faye Pettitt I love the covers with the vampire girl on. I really don't like the covers with the actors from the show... unfortunately I had to buy book 10 with the show's actors >:

message 34: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Westerfield I think as time has gone on in the series that they are interesting. I don't think I may have picked up the books if I didn't already have an interest in reading them because of 'True Blood'.

Ricotn The original covers are great. Hate those with the tv stars on them but I really dislike the "look" of the stars. My imagination had them far more attrative.

Christina I like the uniqueness of the covers, but I don't personally like how they look. I mean, it's great that they're different. They're just not my thing.

Kelli Yes, I understand the question. You would not think the original covers would entice a reader. The story line is what enticed me to read the books. After reading the books several times now I have grown to like the original art work but have thought many times why would you put that on the cover?

Colleen The covers did nothing for me - it wasn't until the books were highly recommended that I gave them a read - and loved them. However, my "vision" of Eric is sooo much better than anything any mortal [actor - no matter how cute] could match.

Kirby I like these covers the best:

Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse #12) by Charlaine Harris

message 40: by Stephanie (last edited Jun 02, 2012 07:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stephanie I like the cartoony covers. I always try to guess the plot of the new book by looking at the covers, just for fun. I can see how they can be misleading to new people to the series.

BookNerdette LOVEd these covers!

message 42: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Lisa I love the original covers! I think the quirky illustrations fit the tone of the story.

Suzanne Pringle I really, really like the covers. I think they are fun! In fact when I go buy the books I am making sure to buy those. I really don't like the covers with the movie actors on the them.

Karen I am a fan of these covers, the ones with the True Blood cast tick me off. I know that brings some people who have only watched the show in but they are so tacky.

Like the illustrations because they are simple and mirror the theme of the book

Claudia I love the original covers...the art has so much talent behind it...I'm on the second one in the series

Sheila Adams Beth wrote: "I like to read on my Kindle, too. But I have to read from a book, now and then. I miss the feel of it...LOL."

Not me, You can go out w/all your books in one convenient little package! :)

Jamie I love the cover so much so I ordered a lithograph

Julie gertt wrote: "I liked the original covers, they matched the story...a fun fantasy. I don't think I've ever been embarrassed to read any book in public because of the cover, I read for my enjoyment, not to impre..."

I totally agree.

Bookish Barton I do not much care for the covers. That does not change my enjoyment of the books, but I have always thought the artwork was somewhat childish.

Sati Marie Frost I like the drawn covers - I find them quirky and offbeat, and think they match the books well. I don't like the TV show covers - especially the ones with Jessica and Maryann, who weren't even in the books! - or the other ones with the blond Sookie photograph that isn't Anna Paquin.

I am heavily influenced by covers and typeface and things like that. I have books 3, 4 and 5 in the arty covers, because I ordered those from the US back in about 2005, and the rest in either of the other two styles (you can't get the arty ones in England) and they change the whole feeling of the books for me. The arty ones feel whimsical and magical, and the others feel darker and nowhere near as enjoyable. Part of it is the size of the books and the font, but the covers have a great deal to do with it. So much so that I keep meaning to pay the ridiculous shipping rates to get copies of the arty ones and then sell the others. I'd have to go through them first though; I have a terrible habit of underlining passages in pencil and putting boxes round words I don't know - and an even worse habit of arguing with books in the margins. :)

(I wonder if I might like Lily Bard better in a different cover? I've read those twice and am just about ready to give up, both times I've felt utterly bleak for days after.)

« previous 1