Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Books About Kids With Food Allergies?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Mar 05, 2012 12:16PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments I'd love to compile a list of books that could help kids deal with food allergies. Allergies to peanuts and other tree nuts, dairy, eggs, soy, wheat (including celiac disease), etc. especially for those allergic to tree nuts.

I'd like to find as many (good) books as possible, from picture books for the youngest children, to picture books for school-aged kids, middle grade books, and young adult books.

The books can be fiction or non-fiction. They can have characters with a food allergy, they can be informational, or address food allergies in any way.

Well done picture books would be especially appreciated, as would books about tree nut allergies.

If anybody knows of some good books about this subject, please post. Thanks so much. I did do a google search and there are some books listed, but I can't tell if they're any good. I'll check on Goodreads, but I'd value the recommendations from members of this group.

Thank you!

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Thanks, Chandra. Yeah, that's why I didn't post the ones I found on a google books search. None looked that great. But thanks for those three titles, and I hope many this group's members will find more books. It's certainly a topical issue and so many kids are affected, so I hope some good books are out there or will be written.

message 3: by Manybooks (last edited Feb 29, 2012 04:32AM) (new)

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Oh, thank you so much, Gundula.

I'm glad there are so many.

If anybody finds more, please keep posting.

Thanks a lot.

message 6: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Feb 29, 2012 11:46AM) (new)

Kathryn | 5947 comments Mod
I'm so glad you started this thread, Lisa! I suffered from food sensitivities as a kid (still do, have to watch what I eat!) and don't remember a single book out there about it. I'm glad to see that has changed over the years. I'm curious to see if these books address only the physical symptoms of allergies, or if they address the emotional aspects, too.

Thanks, Chandra and Gundula, for the great suggestions so far!

Incidentally, one book that I think is very valuable for anyone dealing with food allergies, or even suspecting they or a child they know may have food allergies/sensitivities, is Is This Your Child. I know it doesn't exactly meet your criteria as it's not a book for children to read themselves, but I really wanted to post about it here for those who might be looking at this thread and dealing with allergies.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Thank you so much, Kathryn. That book looks very helpful for parents and other adults of kids who are affected.

message 8: by Crystal (last edited Mar 02, 2012 04:33PM) (new)

Crystal Marcos (crystalmarcos) | 477 comments Great list. Thanks. Here is one I came across not in the children's category so to speak but great for a family with children who have food allergies. Dairy, Egg, and Nut-Free Treats
The Food Allergy Mama's Baking Book It has a five star rating on Amazon from close to 70 reviewers.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Thanks, Crystal.

message 10: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Crystal wrote: "Great list. Thanks. Here is one I came across not in the children's category so to speak but great for a family with children who have food allergies. Dairy, Egg, and Nut-Free Treats
The Food..."</i>

Great, Crystal!

Another one I have heard good things about is [book:Cooking for Isaiah: Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Recipes for Easy Delicious Meals

message 11: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Marcos (crystalmarcos) | 477 comments The Princess and the Peanut: A Royally Allergic Fairytale A twist on a classic tale. I really like the cover illustration.

message 12: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

The only one of these my library had is Horace and Morris Say Cheese (which makes Dolores sneeze!) and here are my thoughts:

THREE STARS
There are so few picture books out there featuring characters with food allergies and I really wanted to rate this higher. The story itself is pretty good--probably four stars. But, I am sorry to say I really, really disliked the illustration style. I know this is just a personal taste thing, but I thought they were really odd and kind of creepy--and the scene where Dolores is at the doctor's office might frighten some little kids who probably don't have to have all those tests (like their stomach x-rayed!) to determine if they have food allergies. Parents might want to point out that this part of the story is exaggerated to be funny.

As for the story itself, it's pretty good. Dolores loves cheese, her family's life revolves around cheese, but one day Dolores breaks out in spots and starts sneezing and her mom takes her to the doctor. The diagnosis: Dolores is allergic to cheese! Oh no, what to do!? How can she go on living without her beloved cheese!? Howe does a great job of conveying how frustrating and frightening it can be when one has to eliminate a certain food from the diet and how one often feels so bored and bland having to focus on new foods to replace the ones lost. Dolores comes up with a very clever solution! It's a cute story and one that I would definitely recommend to parents whose children have food allergies, or if your child knows someone with food allergies.

Note that this is just a story, there is no additional information or suggestions for further reading/resources for food allergies, unfortunately.

ETA: Apparently this is part of a series about the characters. I didn't know that when I read it and I think the book can stand alone.

message 13: by Tim (new)

Tim | 1 comments Tumptin's Sneeze at www.mykidsfoodallergies.com is great.
I also like The Peanut Pickle, which was mentioned above.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Thanks, Tim, Kathryn, and Crystal, All.

message 15: by Hasita (new)

Hasita Krishna | 1 comments What a wonderful list. We're always thinking of how to make our children more accepting of others with food allergies and this is a great way to go about that. I'm sharing this helpful list with other people at Affimity.

message 16: by Desirée (new)

Desirée DeNourie (goodreadscomdesiree_desiree) This is such an important topic, with growing numbers. My son has several food allergies, and having food allergy awareness books can not only help those with food allergies be safe, but can help others learn about how to keep everyone safe. I'm happy to see there are more and more books like these being published!

message 17: by Desirée (new)

Desirée DeNourie (goodreadscomdesiree_desiree) Lisa wrote: "I'd love to compile a list of books that could help kids deal with food allergies. Allergies to peanuts and other tree nuts, dairy, eggs, soy, wheat (including celiac disease), etc. especially for ..."

For younger children Pre-K through 1st, I highly recommend "Hum Free the Bee Has a Food Allergy," by Alison Johansen. It is a rhyming book, which is fast paced, and fun!

message 18: by Koel (new)

Koel Upadhyay (koel_m_upadhyay) | 3 comments Could anyone direct me to the Author's Corner Folder, please? I have not been able to locate it, and would like to discuss my book, which is relevant to this discussion thread. Thanks.
Koel M. Upadhyay

message 19: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 7695 comments Mod
Koel wrote: "Could anyone direct me to the Author's Corner Folder, please? I have not been able to locate it, and would like to discuss my book, which is relevant to this discussion thread. Thanks.
Koel M. Upad..."

Click on Group Home and then scroll down to the author/promotional section (it is at the bottom I believe). You can then create a new topic for discussing your book.

message 20: by Koel (new)

Koel Upadhyay (koel_m_upadhyay) | 3 comments Thank you for your prompt reply. I have added my book in the author's corner bookshelf. Hope that works.
If I start a new thread, can I mention it here so that readers interested in that topic can find me?
Thanks again, Koel

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6446 comments Mod
Koel wrote: "Thank you for your prompt reply. I have added my book in the author's corner bookshelf. Hope that works.
If I start a new thread, can I mention it here so that readers interested in that topic can..."

I would like to say yes, but to be fair to all I have to follow the same rules... no promotion outside of the specific folder.

(However I am not deleting your post, so determined readers will find you. ;)