What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Vietnamese exchange students in 1980s YA book

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Corey (new)

Corey | 7 comments This is a YA book that I read in the mid-to-late 1980s. I think I purchased it at a school book fair or from one of those mail order newsletters that schools get (Scholastic books?).
The main character is a teenaged girl - I think middle school, but possibly high school. A group of Vietnamese exchange students come to her town. They had been pen pals with the American students prior to coming to the US. One (her name may be Tuyen) stays at the home of the main character. The girls struggle to understand each other, but eventually become friends.
One random detail that I remember is one of the American girls (I think the best friend of the main character) said her pen pal asked about dating in the US - but she called them "detes."

message 2: by Corey (new)

Corey | 7 comments Been thinking about it some more and it's possible that the exchange students/pen pals were from Cambodia. (Or I might just be confusing it with the 1986 Disney movie "The Girl Who Spelled Freedom," which was about a Cambodian refugee-turned-spelling bee champion. I read the book and saw the movie around the same time.)

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Corey, are you still looking for this book?

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
No response, moving to Abandoned.