Authors Lounge discussion

Discussions > Kickstarter

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Eliason (RachelEliason) Have authors in this group used Kickstarter? For those of you who don't know what kickstarter is, here's the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/ Kickstarter lets you post about your project and people can donate to help fund it.

I started a kickstarter to raise money to edit and produce my first indie novel. My project is here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/r...

I am curious if other authors have had success with that site, what their experience was like and what pointers they can give me about my project. Thanks in advance for any advice.

message 2: by Bryan (new)

Bryan (airithauthor) | 7 comments I have done many Kickstarters and to be honest, it is a very clique group and it is very very hard to get a goal fulfilled.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Eliason (RachelEliason) So far mine hasn't done much. Oh well, it was worth a try. I have learned a lot making the video and stuff. I am going to keep trying for awhile before I give up on. I am sorry you haven't had a great experience. Do you know any other sites like it. There's a site called Unbound where you can pitch books and if enough people pledge to by it they'll publish it, but it's only in the U.K. right now.

message 4: by Bryan (new)

Bryan (airithauthor) | 7 comments Rachael, you know you can try createspace......that is a free publishing service.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Eliason (RachelEliason) I have my book of short stories on createspace, and that's where I eventually intend to publish the novel. However I was hoping to raise money for professional editing services, cover design, etc. (all of which are out of price range currently. I was also hoping to be able to afford a marketing campaign of sorts. If this doesn't come through I might go ahead and just put the novel out myself, and use the proceeds of from the first edition to have the second edition edited. Thanks for the input though.

message 6: by Bryan (new)

Bryan (airithauthor) | 7 comments I'm sure you can find people within Goodreads to help with a book cover and editing.....there are some many talented people here just willing to help yea out.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Eliason (RachelEliason) I discovered Goodreads and Kickstarter about the same time. So it's nice to know there is a plan B. ;)!

message 8: by Doc (new)

Doc (doc_coleman) | 55 comments I know at least two authors that have had successful Kickstarter campaigns. It appears that the key to a good Kickstarter is to have backer gifts that start low enough and step up reasonably. If you look at unsuccessful Kickstarters, they tend to either have a high minimum buy in, or they step up too sharply to get to the more desirable levels of rewards. Of course, the ones with crap rewards all the way around usually don't do well either.

It often doesn't hurt to offer to rename a major character after someone, or to write an entirely new story featuring a character named after a donor.

Doc

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Eliason (RachelEliason) Interesting idea Doc, I could maybe change a minor character's name. I have a one dollar minimum and five dollars for a copy of the ebook, so I think I start low enough. However it starts to step up after about the fifty dollar mark, so maybe I need to come up with a few more rewards. Anyway it's been a great help to discuss it here. I am going to keep plugging for awhile.