The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 25.1. Jessica PDX’s Task: This One Goes Out to the One I Love

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 25, 2012 10:16AM) (new)

Sandy | 15682 comments Mod
25.1. Jessica PDX’s Task: This One Goes Out to the One I Love

My music-loving husband’s birthday is in May, and it just so happens that this is the year that two of the songs by The Smashing Pumpkins (one of his favorite bands) have a nifty numerical connection to his birth year and age. To celebrate, you’ll read two books, one for each song. And in deference to his reading tastes, at least one of the books you read must be non-fiction - the other can be fiction or non-fiction.

Book A: “1979” - Read a book first published in 1979 or by an author born in 1979 or choose a book whose title shares a word of at least 5 letters with this song’s lyrics:
REQUIRED: if you use a word from the lyrics of the song, indicate in your post which line of the song the word is found on.

Book B: “Thirty-Three” - Read a book with a total of 33 letters in the title and the author’s name combined OR choose a book whose title shares a word of at least 5 letters with this song’s lyrics:
REQUIRED: if you use a word from the lyrics of the song, indicate in your post which line of the song the word is found on.
For both options, if you use a word from the lyrics of the song, plurals, possessives, and changes in verb tense are OK; no other modifications.

When determining the letter count for a title or an author’s name, use the spelling as it appears on the Goodreads page for the edition you read. You may include or exclude subtitles or co-authors, but you may not include series names. Punctuation marks do not count, numerals do.

REQUIRED: Note which option you chose for each book when you post.

Examples – for option 1, you could read the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy(published in 1979), or a book written by Catherynne M. Valente (born in 1979) or Liar's Poker: Rising Through the Wreckage on Wall Street (“street” is in the second line of the lyrics to “1979”.

For option 2, you could read The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein (23 letters in title, plus 10 in author's name = 33)
or The Language of Flowers(“language” is in the first line of the lyrics to “33”).

message 4: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Question: If I pick a book with "World's" would I be able to use "World" from the song? I just want to make sure I am reading your instructions correctly.

message 5: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Would this book work for Book B

Line from song:
"But in the same old haunts I still find my friends"

My Friend, My Friend: The Story Of Thoreau's Relationship With Emerson

Thanks

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Meghan and Kathy, both of those are fine.

For this task, you can make a plural/possessive from the song singular/not possessive, or make a singular/non-possessive in the song plural/possessive. Basically, changes in both directions are valid.

message 7: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Great! Thank you!

message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3872 comments for book 1: fiction - line 4 of song "stone"

Stone Angel

for book 2: nonfiction - line 8 of song "earth"

Sacred Earth: The Spiritual Landscape of Native America

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Bea, that combo works.

message 10: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3872 comments Jessica wrote: "Bea, that combo works."

Thanks, Jessica

message 11: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Ok so...

Book A-Fiction
Crave by Melissa Darnell (born in 1979)

Book B-Non-Fiction

Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan (line 17-world)

???

message 12: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Ok Jessica this may be your stupidest question here. Are biographies considered non fiction?

I have found the bookWhere Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman that I believe would work for book a as the word where is in line 9 of 1979. I just want to make sure it is approved for the non-fiction book. Thanks

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Sheila, absolutely - biographies count as non-fiction.

message 14: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1670 comments Will poetry and plays count for this task for non-fiction works?

message 15: by Deedee (last edited Feb 25, 2012 09:58AM) (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments For option 2: When counting the number of letters in a title or author name, that count includes only A-Z; excluded from the count are things like: "." (Ursula K. LeGuin = 13 letters), ":" Doctor Who: The Stone Rose (= 21 letters) and apostrophes --- right?

And -- how about numerals? Catch-22 is it 5 letters? 7 (including "22")? 8 (including - and 22)?

message 16: by Jessica (last edited Feb 25, 2012 10:06AM) (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Karen, I'd consider poetry and plays to fall on the fiction side.

Deedee, for the count, all punctuation marks are excluded. For numerals, include them - this would make the count for your Catch-22 example 7. I'll work with the mods to get this clarification added to the task description.

message 17: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments "Just where our bones will rest"

The Nasty Bits: Collected Varietal Cuts, Useable Trim, Scraps, and Bones

Do subtitles count???

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Cindy, your pick works - using the subtitle for a word match is just fine. Only series names are disallowed.

message 19: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15682 comments Mod
Jessica wrote: "Deedee, for the count, all punctuation marks are excluded. For numerals, include them - this would make the count for your Catch-22 example 7. I'll work with the mods to get this clarification added to the task description.
-..."

Done!

message 20: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 879 comments It's my lucky day! A library book I picked up yesterday (The Stranger's Child by Alan Hollinghurst) has exactly 33 letters in the title/author's name!

message 21: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments Book A - song option - line 9 "bones" Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef for nonfiction

and

Book B - song option - line 13 "never" Under the Never Sky for fiction

Just wanted to double-check these! This is a fun task! :)

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Randi - that pair works. Glad you're finding it fun - I love seeing what you guys have been able to fit in!

message 23: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments Jessica wrote: "Randi - that pair works. Glad you're finding it fun - I love seeing what you guys have been able to fit in!"

Thanks! :)

message 24: by Beth (last edited Feb 25, 2012 04:06PM) (new)

Beth | 665 comments This has me listening to Smashing Pumpkins now and reminiscing about high school. I was also born in 1979 and celebrated turning 33 last month. Clever task. :)

message 25: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Hi Jessica

Could I please check that these are fine:

1979 - No apologies ever need be made, I know you better than you fake it...

Book A (non-fiction): Woe Is I: The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English

Thirty-three: Humour me before I have to go...

Book B (fiction): Before I Go to Sleep

message 26: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 243 comments I made a list of all the 5+ letter words from both songs for my own reference, if anyone else wants to make use of it I've put it on GoogleDocs and you can view it here. :)

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments thanks Vickie ;)

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments mstan, that pairing's approved. And kudos to Vicky for sharing her cheat sheet!

message 29: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments would these work

book A
line 16, word "thousand"
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet

book B

line 16, word "myself"
Conversations With Myself

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Those are fine, Aleksandra!

message 31: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Jessica wrote: "Those are fine, Aleksandra!"

Thank You :)

message 32: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments For book 2 the word reveal is in the song.
Would Revealers work?
Thanks

message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Keltie, I'm going to rule a no on that one - it's changing reveal from a verb to a noun, so it doesn't fall under the "change in tense" option. Revealed, reveals, or revealing would work, but not revealers.

message 34: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments That's ok I have a few others in mind

message 35: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments will this work for song lyrics fiction book one All These Things I've Done

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments JennRenee, that's fine (using "these"). Be sure to call out the line when you post to help the mods confirm.

message 37: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 471 comments In "33" the word "swans" appears- can I make it singular, swan, even though it will no longer be at least 5 letters long?

message 38: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Jennifer, I'm fine with that since the originating word has 5 letters.

message 39: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 471 comments Cool. Thanks!

message 40: by Lindsey (last edited Mar 04, 2012 10:59PM) (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Hiya, will this book work for lyrics for "1979"? Here's the line: "Forgotten and absorbed into the earth below"

Paganism: An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religions book link

message 41: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Lindsey, I'm afraid compound words are out - sorry!

message 42: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Glad I asked - thank you!

message 43: by Deedee (last edited Mar 11, 2012 05:09PM) (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments For
Book B: “Thirty-Three” - Read a book with a total of 33 letters in the title
would St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves fit? Exclude the ".", the "'" and what is left is 33 letters
10 letters:: St Lucy s Hom
10 letters:: e for Girls R
10 letters:: aised by Wol
03 letters:: ves

message 44: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Deedee, it's 33 letters using the title and the author's name, not the title alone - I'm afraid this one doesn't work.

message 45: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 923 comments Would - Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks Fifty Years Of Mysteries In The Making Includes Two Unpublished Poirot Stories by John Curran work for Option B. Based on the word 'mysteries' in the 7th line from the bottom.

message 46: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Laurie, that'll work.

message 47: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 923 comments Jessica wrote: "Laurie, that'll work."

Thank you!

message 48: by Ashlea (last edited Mar 17, 2012 05:25PM) (new)

Ashlea Daune (ashyydaune) | 45 comments will this work for non fiction option 2 song option
for the word guide. The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead- library has it listed in the non fiction area The Zombie Survival Guide Complete Protection from the Living Dead by Max Brooks

message 49: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Ashlea, that one's fine - I found appropriate call numbers for it, so it works.

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (moragepona) | 124 comments Will Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo work for the first book (Non-Fiction), as it was published in 1979?

And The Earth Hums in B Flat for the Song Option for 33, using Earth from Line 8?

« previous 1