The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 30.8 Meghanly's task: The Breakfast Club

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 25, 2012 01:32PM) (new)

Sandy | 16394 comments Mod
30.8 Meghanly's task: The Breakfast Club
The Breakfast Club is my absolute favorite 80s movie… if you haven’t seen it, watch it and you will understand why the following characters are so important!
You will choose two different options below. Read one book from each of your chosen options. REQUIRED: Indicate the options you choose on your post.

1. The Brain: Read a “Big Book” (500 pages or more). Any big book will do, as long as the edition you read is over 500 pages! Required: Link to the edition you read that indicates 500 pages or more. If you are using an audiobook or an ebook for this task, please refer to the general SRC rules on determining page numbers for these forms. Rules of the Challenge

2. The Jock: Read a nonfiction book featuring a sport or athlete. Biographies are acceptable.

3. The Basket Case: It makes me a BASKET CASE sometimes trying to keep up with multiple GR groups and challenges! Read a “Currently Reading” book choice for a group you are a part of on Goodreads. It can be a “Currently Reading” book for the SRC or any other group of which you are a member. The book must be listed as 'currently reading' during any of the 3 months of this challenge (March-May). REQUIRED: indicate the group name when you post.

4.The Princess: Read a book that has won the Printz Award or is a Printz Honor book. REQUIRED: indicate the year the book was honored when you post.

5. The Criminal: Beg, borrow or steal - read a book that isn’t yours! It can be borrowed from a friend, the library, the Kindle lending library, etc. REQUIRED: indicate how you got your book.

message 2: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 327 comments Reserved

message 3: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 327 comments Reserved

message 4: by Sassafrass (last edited Feb 25, 2012 01:45PM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Loved this movie. It's one of my all time favorites. I actually realized that I was "old" when one of my kids' TV shows did a spoof on it, and they had absolutely NO IDEA why my DH and I found it so funny!

Great task!

message 5: by Dee (last edited Feb 25, 2012 01:47PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7781 comments ohhh, me likey!!! and I can fit in the group read for one of my other groups ;)

message 6: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Loved this movie. It's one of my all time favorites. I actually realized that I was "old" when one of my kids' TV shows did a spoof on it, and they had absolutely NO IDEA why my DH and I found it..."

I watched that spoof with my daughter Sass! I tried explaining the original movie and what the spoof was trying to do, got kind of a glazed look from her, lol. A few more years and she can watch the original.

Love the task Meghanly!

message 7: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3014 comments I love this movie-my favorite characters were the brain and the basket case

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments For option 3, does the other group need to finish the book by the time our challenge is over? I'm looking at one for the "1001 Books to Read Before You Die" group that they will start 5/15, but it runs until 6/15.

message 9: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katmcv) | 457 comments Oh I love this task, Breakfast Club is probably my favourite movie. I don't know what options to pick, they're all so good

message 10: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Fran wrote: "Sassafrass wrote: "Loved this movie. It's one of my all time favorites. I actually realized that I was "old" when one of my kids' TV shows did a spoof on it, and they had absolutely NO IDEA why m..."

I almost peed my pants whe. They said "you're a VEGAN"

message 11: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 327 comments Jessica wrote: "For option 3, does the other group need to finish the book by the time our challenge is over? I'm looking at one for the "1001 Books to Read Before You Die" group that they will start 5/15, but it..."

It just needs to be currently read during March - May, not completely finished. The group read you described sounds fine.

Glad everyone likes the task!

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7781 comments i'm assuming if the book was published in the US under another name - its still good as long as I mention it in my post?

specifically On the Jellicoe Road was published in the US as Jellicoe Road

message 13: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18020 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "i'm assuming if the book was published in the US under another name - its still good as long as I mention it in my post?

specifically On the Jellicoe Road was published in the US a..."

(mod note: no response from Meghanly)

That would work

message 14: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 327 comments SORRY - Been off the site for awhile. I defer to the mods and agree!

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7781 comments thanks DLMrose ;) and Meghanly ;) i'm debating between that one and Looking for Alaska which both fit this category

message 16: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) This might be a silly question. Would poker count as a sport? It's on ESPN...