The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

146 views
SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 30.7 Beth NC's task: Fire Elementals

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 25, 2012 04:31AM) (new)

Sandy | 15694 comments Mod
30.7 Beth NC's task: Fire Elementals
Choose 2 of the following options and read one book from each. REQUIRED: Please indicate which options you chose.
1. Fire element's nature is to change the structure of whatever it touches into new state of being. Read a Paranormal /Urban Fantasy book where someone is transformed into a “new structure” ie vampire/angel/shapeshifter. REQUIRED – indicate in your post the character who is transformed, what s/he transformed from and what s/he transformed into.

2. Fire is at the very heart of transformation, clearing the old and making something new Read a book where the main character cleanses something from his/her life and begins a new stage in their life ie. divorce, move, job change, letting go of anger/sorrow. REQUIRED – explain what was cleansed/let go of.

3. “Lighting a Fire under someone” means to motivate or push them. Read a book that motivates you to do something you have been putting off. (This can be a fiction or nonfiction book) REQUIRED – State what you were motivated to do

4. Some of the emotions associated with fire are: passion, sexual energy, love and lust. Read a romance book – one with “romance” listed as a genre on the book’s main page.

5. Animals associated with the element of fire are - lion, snake, dragon, eagle, horse, phoenix Read a book which features one of these animals in the story or has one on the cover. REQUIRED - post a link to the cover or state the animal featured.

6. In Chinese astrology anyone who was born in a year ending in 6 is born under Yang Fire and anyone who was born in a year ending in a 7 was born under Yin Fire. Read a book where the number of pages ends in a 6 or a 7. REQUIRED: State the number of pages in the book you read. If the edition you read does not have the pages listed on Goodreads, please link to an outside source for the page numbers.


message 2: by Foxy Grandma (last edited Feb 25, 2012 06:52AM) (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Works -

Option 5 - Lion in the Valley (Amelia Peabody, #4) by Elizabeth Peters The Wild Ways by Tanya Huff


message 3: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Reserved


message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7545 comments for option 2 - would getting out of jail and starting over work?


message 5: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Dee wrote: "for option 2 - would getting out of jail and starting over work?"

Absolutely, just be sure to explain that when you post.


message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7545 comments thanks ;)


message 7: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments For the animal option does it have to be a real animal? I was specifically thinking of Lion in the Valley which has a stone lion on the cover.

Thanks


message 8: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Will this work for a dragon on the cover?

The Wild Ways by Tanya Huff

There is a dragon in the book and that is his shadow.


message 9: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Bluemoon wrote: "For the animal option does it have to be a real animal? I was specifically thinking of Lion in the Valley which has a stone lion on the cover.

Thanks"


I will accept it


message 10: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Cindy AL wrote: "Will this work for a dragon on the cover?

The Wild Ways by Tanya Huff

There is a dragon in the book and that is his shadow."


It works


message 11: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3878 comments Would Jephte's Daughter work for #2?

And, for #5, would The Story Teller work? The horses are drawn on paper.


message 12: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Bea wrote: "Would Jephte's Daughter work for #2?

And, for #5, would The Story Teller work? The horses are drawn on paper."


The Story Teller works.....

For Jephte's Daughter, I am not sure what she is cleansing from her life. The idea for the task is more cleansing something from your life to start a fresh new better life. The description of the book sounds like she did the opposite,went from good to worse. If I am missing something please let me know.


message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments For 5, how much of the animal does it need to show? I'd like to read Fire World (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #6) by Chris d'Lacey , and there's a dragon in the eye of a super-close-up of the head of another dragon.


message 14: by Bea (last edited Feb 25, 2012 08:30AM) (new)

Bea | 3878 comments Beth NC wrote: "Bea wrote: "Would Jephte's Daughter work for #2?"

For Jephte's Da..."


Beth NC, I just looked at the description for the book I linked to and see why you responded as you did. Here is the link to the book I own, and its description is fuller.

Jephte's Daughter


message 15: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments I was wondering if Change of Heart would work for #2? It sounds like the mother has to let go of her hate, and the man is looking for redemption. I was particularly looking at this part from the description - "Would you give up your vengeance against someone you hate if it meant saving someone you love? Would you want your dreams to come true if it meant granting your enemy's dying wish?"


message 16: by Lavinia (new)

Lavinia (laviniat) | 54 comments Beth, will Magic Bites work for option 1? The description talks about a paramilitary clan of shape shifters which are involved in the story...


message 17: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Will The Country Girls work for Option 2? From the description, it sounds like the girls are starting a new life away from their roots in the country...


message 18: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Would this be a "shapeshifter" for Option 1?

Bear Daughter


message 19: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "For 5, how much of the animal does it need to show? I'd like to read Fire World (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #6) by Chris d'Lacey, and there's a dragon in the eye of a super-close-up of the head of another dragon."

I will allow it because from the description it sounds as if dragons play a large part in the book also.


message 20: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Bea wrote: "Beth NC wrote: "Bea wrote: "Would Jephte's Daughter work for #2?"

For Jephte's Da..."

Beth NC, I just looked at the description for the book I linked to and see why you responded as..."


A much clearer description and I will allow it, just make sure in your post you link to this description.


message 21: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Randi wrote: "I was wondering if Change of Heart would work for #2? It sounds like the mother has to let go of her hate, and the man is looking for redemption. I was particularly looking at this p..."

Definitely


message 22: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Lavinia wrote: "Beth, will Magic Bites work for option 1? The description talks about a paramilitary clan of shape shifters which are involved in the story..."

Yes, this will work since the shape shifters "transform" from human into something else


message 23: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments mstan wrote: "Will The Country Girls work for Option 2? From the description, it sounds like the girls are starting a new life away from their roots in the country..."

I am looking more for someone who cleanses old and starts new, but since I did specifically mention a move, I will allow this.


message 24: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Would this be a "shapeshifter" for Option 1?

Bear Daughter"


absolutely


message 25: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments Beth NC wrote: "Randi wrote: "I was wondering if Change of Heart would work for #2? It sounds like the mother has to let go of her hate, and the man is looking for redemption. I was particularly loo..."

Thanks! :)


message 26: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3878 comments Beth NC wrote: A much clearer description and I will allow it..."

Thanks, Beth NC


message 27: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1721 comments For option 2, can I read Unorthodox? Unorthodox The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots by Deborah Feldman ? It is about a woman who leaves her lifelong religious sect (Satmar) to live in the "outside" world.


message 28: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Cindie wrote: "For option 2, can I read Unorthodox?Unorthodox The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots by Deborah Feldman? It is about a woman who leaves her lifelong religious sect (Satmar) to live in th..."

Yes that works


message 29: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1721 comments Beth NC wrote: "Cindie wrote: "For option 2, can I read Unorthodox?Unorthodox The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots by Deborah Feldman? It is about a woman who leaves her lifelong religious sect (Satmar..."

great! Thanks!


message 30: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments For option 1- can I read Beastly: Lindy's Diary? It features the Beast from Beauty and the Beast.


message 31: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Jayme VA wrote: "For option 1- can I read Beastly: Lindy's Diary? It features the Beast from Beauty and the Beast."

If he transforms back into a human somewhere in the book (end maybe?), then yes. Be sure to explain the change when you post


message 32: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Thanks Beth. I guess I'll have to read to find out =)


message 33: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Jayme VA wrote: "Thanks Beth. I guess I'll have to read to find out =)"

If by chance you can't use it for Option 1, it fits Option 4 as a romance.....


message 34: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Thanks Beth!


message 35: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 156 comments Would you allow Birds of Prey for option 5? It doesn't have a bird on cover, but an eagle is a bird of prey, so would that work? The book is an adventure set on seas and Africa.


message 36: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Luckngrace wrote: "Would you allow Birds of Prey for option 5? It doesn't have a bird on cover, but an eagle is a bird of prey, so would that work? The book is an adventure set on seas and Africa."

Sorry, it needs to either have an eagle on the cover or have an eagle as an important part of the story; In this case the Birds of Prey seem to be pirates, not actual birds.


message 37: by Carla (new)

Carla Ruffer (hpaddict) | 118 comments I have 3 slave narratives on my to read list. Would any of them work for option #2? Each story describes their lives in slavery while they are now (at time of writing the book) free.

For option #3 - this particular challenge I've been trying to read more classics, I have a few on my to read list (i.e. The Great Gatsby and A Tale of Two Cities). It's a bit of a stretch, but can I use a classic as my motivation to read more classics? Thought I'd ask just in case :-)


message 38: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 597 comments Would The Académie work for #2 since the main character moves to France and starts boarding school?


message 39: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Carla wrote: "I have 3 slave narratives on my to read list. Would any of them work for option #2? Each story describes their lives in slavery while they are now (at time of writing the book) free.

They will work if the slaves did somthing to free themselves, not if they were freed because the civil war freed them. There has to be come active concious effort to make the change, to cleanse one thing to start another.

For option #3 - this particular challenge I've been trying to read more classics, I have a few on my to read list (i.e. The Great Gatsby and A Tale of Two Cities). It's a bit of a stretch, but can I use a classic as my motivation to read more classics?

Sorry but something in the book has to motivate you,not the genre of the book.


message 40: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Angie wrote: "Would The Académie work for #2 since the main character moves to France and starts boarding school?"

I don't see the letting go of something to start something new and better.....


message 41: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments For number 3 - I have this Map of Middle Earth cross stitch that I am suppose to be stitching for my sister. Can I read one of the books in the Lord of the Rings series to motivate me to work on it?


message 42: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "For number 3 - I have this Map of Middle Earth cross stitch that I am suppose to be stitching for my sister. Can I read one of the books in the Lord of the Rings series to motivate me to work on it?"

absolutely


message 43: by Carla (new)

Carla Ruffer (hpaddict) | 118 comments Beth NC wrote: "Carla wrote: "I have 3 slave narratives on my to read list. Would any of them work for option #2? Each story describes their lives in slavery while they are now (at time of writing the book) free.
..."


thanks! Thought I would just ask for option 3. I've already found something else for that. For option 2, each of these particular slave narratives are about escaped slaves. So, I guess that would work.


message 44: by Foxy Grandma (last edited Mar 05, 2012 10:00AM) (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Carla wrote: "For option 2, each of these particular slave narratives are about escaped slaves. So, I guess that would work
.
..."


Yes, that would work great.....


message 45: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) I am going to read The Philosopher's Apprentice which is about the cloning of a dead daughter and then filling the "new" daughter's blank slate mind with philosophy, art, etc.

Will this work for option 1 of this task?


message 46: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Almeta wrote: "I am going to read The Philosopher's Apprentice which is about the cloning of a dead daughter and then filling the "new" daughter's blank slate mind with philosophy, art, etc.

Wil..."


It is not exactly what I had in mind, but I will allow it


message 47: by Jayme VA (last edited Mar 06, 2012 09:10AM) (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments Hi Beth,

Can we count a unicorn as a horse? A Swiftly Tilting Planet (Time, #3) by Madeleine L'Engle or Many Waters (Time, #4) by Madeleine L'Engle


message 48: by Sera (new)

Sera Hi, Beth - fun task!

Will this cover work for a horse? Seabiscuit An American Legend by Laura Hillenbrand . I ask because one can't see his face.


message 49: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) Beth NC wrote: "Almeta wrote: "I am going to read The Philosopher's Apprentice which is about the cloning of a dead daughter and then filling the "new" daughter's blank slate mind with philosophy, a..."

Yeah, I'll find a different spot. Thanks for the approval, but I think I'll look again for something more in line with the task intent.


message 50: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Jayme VA wrote: "Hi Beth,

Can we count a unicorn as a horse? A Swiftly Tilting Planet (Time, #3) by Madeleine L'Engle or Many Waters (Time, #4) by Madeleine L'Engle"


No, a unicorn is not a horse


« previous 1
back to top