KBF Irregulars discussion

Member book threads > Christine's thread

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) So, this weekend I am hoping to have a lot of time to read. I'm reading

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

although I'm not very far into it. It's interesting! It feels like it is very long.

message 2: by G. (new)

G. | 5 comments Mod
It goes pretty quickly. The action and the mystery aspects of the story kind of move the story forward at a pretty fast pace (IMHO).

message 3: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) I hardly read at all this weekend. I am doing my own little version of NaNoWriMo, but it runs from 2/15 to 3/14, so I spent most of the weekend writing on my iPad.

message 4: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) I'm going to do something different for March -- I'm doing a theme month. Theme: UF/PNR. (Except our mystery group read, of course!) I have a whole bunch of books in my TBR pile in these genres, so I've downloaded them all & set up a collection.

I wouldn't mind adding some self-pubbed books to my reading. I posted a thread on the MOA but no one has responded yet (which is weird, really, since I want to actually BUY books, but whatever). Do any of you have any suggestions of self-published/indie published PNR/UF selections for me? Or am I the only one in this group who reads this genre.

message 5: by HJ (new)

HJ (hjleonard) Christine wrote: "I'm going to do something different for March -- I'm doing a theme month. Theme: UF/PNR. (Except our mystery group read, of course!) I have a whole bunch of books in my TBR pile in these genres, so..."

Angelfall I saw that you had shown some interest in this one. It's not bad for a $.99 self-pub. I'll read the second one when it comes out. I'll go through my shelves to see what else to rec for you.

message 6: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) HJ wrote: "Christine wrote: "I'm going to do something different for March -- I'm doing a theme month. Theme: UF/PNR. (Except our mystery group read, of course!) I have a whole bunch of books in my TBR pile i..."

I already decided to read that one, even though I feel like people have been a little spammy with it. Thanks!

message 7: by HJ (new)

HJ (hjleonard) I'm just starting Anew. I'll let you know how it goes, and if I rec it for you.

BTW, I did like Fury of Fire. Thanks. I have no idea how long it took me as I was continually interrupted.

message 8: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) HJ wrote: "I'm just starting Anew. I'll let you know how it goes, and if I rec it for you.

BTW, I did like Fury of Fire. Thanks. I have no idea how long it took me as I was continually int..."

Pretty sure I already bought that one. It keeps getting recc'd for me & it was pretty cheap.

I'm reading Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, #6) by Kresley Cole right now -- I'm at about 60%.

message 9: by HJ (new)

HJ (hjleonard) Okay. I finished Anew, and really liked it. The only thing I want to make sure you know about both that and Angefall is that they both end on cliffhangers (I know, we don't like that). But I do think that they were interesting enough for me not to be too annoyed, and I will read the sequels.

message 10: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) HJ wrote: "Okay. I finished Anew, and really liked it. The only thing I want to make sure you know about both that and Angefall is that they both end on cliffhangers (I know, we don't like that). But I do ..."

Aaargh. I hate cliffhangers. Hate them. With the energy of ten thousand burning suns.

Why, authors, why? Just write a book that is good, & I'll buy your follow-up, dang it!

message 11: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) BTW, I finished hot demon story above.

I started this one:

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane

Have you read it?

message 12: by HJ (new)

HJ (hjleonard) Christine wrote: "BTW, I finished hot demon story above.

I started this one:

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane

Have you read it?"

Yup (did you doubt it?). I really enjoyed the series (4th coming out very shortly). Well done Urban Fantasy series usually end up in my list of favorites.

message 13: by HJ (new)

HJ (hjleonard) Christine -

Should we perhaps have an Urban Fantasy thread? I'll be starting Discount Armageddon this evening.

message 14: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) HJ wrote: "Christine -

Should we perhaps have an Urban Fantasy thread? I'll be starting Discount Armageddon this evening."

Yes, let's do.

I just posted this somewhere else, but I plan to finish Discount Armageddon tonight. I have been spending altogether too much time on the forums.

Wait until you meet Dominic. You can't have him though. I saw him first.

message 15: by HJ (new)

HJ (hjleonard) Christine wrote: "HJ wrote: "Christine -

Should we perhaps have an Urban Fantasy thread? I'll be starting Discount Armageddon this evening."

Yes, let's do.

I just posted this somewhere else, but I plan to..."

I'm good with sharing. After all, I do let you look at my avatar anytime you want. ;)

message 16: by Char (new)

Char Ahhhh, the avatar. *sigh*

message 17: by HJ (last edited Mar 15, 2012 09:39AM) (new)

HJ (hjleonard) I'm torn on Discount Armegeddon. On the one hand, I found it entertaining, on the other, I just didn't like Very very much (oh, that's kind of funny, isn't it?).

Dominic was pretty good. He's a hottie, for sure.

message 18: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) HJ wrote: "I'm torn on Discount Armegeddon. On the one hand, I found it entertaining, on the other, I just didn't like Very very much (oh, that's kind of funny, isn't it?).

Dominic was pretty good. He's ..."

I liked her snark.