Indie Book Club discussion

Currently Writing > Klondaeg The Monster Hunter (Volume 2)

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments My current project is a collection of short stories. It's set in the same world as Smite Me, Oh Dark One and focuses on over-the-top action and ridiculous monsters. Klondaeg is a Dwarf who travels the world in search of monsters to slay and adventures to gloat about. He fights everything from tiny werewolves to gold-devouring demons, and even has a run-in with Acerbus himself.

The collection contains 5 series with a loose arc across them. In fact, they're tied together closely enough that I'm having trouble deciding whether to call it a short story collection or an episodic novella. They were a lot of fun to write.

I'm currently in the revision/editing stages and collecting feedback, so if anyone's interested in beta reading...

message 2: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Scott (bookblogger) | 1315 comments Mod
I'd be happy to do that for you Steve. Smite Me was a great little read and I'd be interested in seeing more from that world. I am also learning that I'm a fan of the comedic action stuff so it sounds right up my alley.

message 3: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments Thanks, Scott. I'll send you an email with a .mobi version shortly. I'm targeting a release in April, so I'd appreciate if you could get through it by the end of March. If not, I understand. I know you have a long reading queue as it is.

message 4: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments I wanted to point this out. The cover art is nearly complete. I've requested a few tweaks, but it's probably 95% there.

http://kalhariaonline.com/secret/klon...

message 5: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Jeffrey Poole (authorjmpoole) | 2287 comments Mod
Love that cover!!

message 6: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Speaking of Klonny I have my notes from my second read through done. I'll try to get them emailed during nap time today.

message 7: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments Great. Thanks; I look forward to those. How did the new rev treat you?

message 8: by Steve (last edited Apr 24, 2012 09:27AM) (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments I managed to convince someone to take some lyrics I wrote for "Klondaeg" and set it to music. The song is now on my blog:

http://kalhariaonline.com/wordpress/?...

I haven't figured out how to make it streaming yet, so it's download only. I apologize for that.

message 9: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments I just finished the first draft for Klondaeg Episode 6. "Klondaeg and It Turns out Clayborn Was the Gnomelobo King This Whole Time." That was a loose thread from the first volume that I planned on returning to as soon as possible.

It was a little tougher to write because it shows Klondaeg at a frustrated, uncertain moment, but it kicks off a story arc that promises for a nice return to brazen heroism.

message 10: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Looking forward to some more tales of bravery and violence!

message 11: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments Glad to hear it! I was going to say that this one would be a little less over-the-top, but Klondaeg just ended up on the moon while I wasn't paying attention.

message 12: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Review written and posted for book I.

message 13: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments Thank you!

message 14: by Steve (last edited Sep 03, 2012 08:16PM) (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments I've now completed drafts for Episodes 6-8. Just finished 8 last night.

I'm pretty happy with how they're coming along. Episode 8 is actually 75% a Dalvinus story. I think he can definitely hold his own as a protagonist, and I really hope readers agree.

message 15: by Steve (last edited May 01, 2013 02:08PM) (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments And now Episode 9 is drafted.

I'm hoping to have Episode 10 (the last in this collection) drafted by the end of the month. That means I'm going to be looking for beta readers in the near future. Any volunteers? Unless my schedule slips, and it's known to, I'd be looking for someone who can read and supply a critique by the end of January.

message 16: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

I'd be happy to take a look again.

message 17: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments I could do that.

message 18: by Steve (last edited Feb 07, 2013 07:06AM) (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments Awesome. Expect a message from me about it.

message 19: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments Aaaaand, Episode 10 is also drafted. That finishes Volume 2. On to editing.

message 20: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments I'm getting close to finishing this one. Cover art in on order. I've only waiting on one beta reader (thanks for your comments, Scott and Mia). I think this one will be out in 3-4 months.

message 21: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

When I read the sentence about waiting for a beta I thought "Oh Sh!# did I forget to send him feedback?!?" Glad to see that it'll be hitting the shelves soon.

message 22: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Lol! Looking forward to this one!!

message 23: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments Thanks. Klondaeg has been my most successful book so far, and I'm grateful to the people in this Book Club for that.

I'm optimistic about the sequel.

message 24: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments Got a near-final version of the cover art in. I'm confident that I'll be ready to publish in May. I also started working on a Klondaeg Holiday Special. If it comes out well, everyone's getting a Fromsday present on October 4th.

message 25: by Steve (last edited Apr 01, 2013 09:55AM) (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments It took a lot of thinking, and I'm sure some people will be disappointed, but I've decided that 50 Shades of Gray had it right. I'm scrapping Klondaeg in favoring of modifying my "My Little Pony" romantic fanfic such that I can publish it without getting sued. It should be out sometime in June, assuming my lawyers are satisfied by then.

message 26: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

So is Klondaeg #2 out? Hmm? Hmmmm??

message 27: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments Soon, I promise. I'm proofreading (again) now. Based on how much mark-up there is, I'll either proof-read from a Createspace copy or call it ready for sale. So it could be as early as next week, or later in the month. Definitely by the end of May.

I don't think I posted it here, but here's the cover art:

http://kalhariaonline.com/wordpress/w...

And of course, if anyone here is interested in an ARC, that could be accommodated...

message 28: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Looks fantastic, Steve! And is anyone interested in an ARC...

HELL yeah!

message 29: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Thought I'd post this for you, Steve...

excerpt from Tales of Lentari - Lost City

“It sure is a nice day, isn’t it?” Tristofer commented.

“If I hear you say how wonderful this day is one more time, scholar,” Athos growled, “I’ll personally make you eat that book you’re holding.”

Tristofer hurriedly put his copy of his favorite book, Klondaeg – The Monster Hunter, a story about a fearless dwarf monster killer, back into his jacket pocket. While certain Athos would never make him actually eat the book, he wasn’t about to press his luck with the irritable brother, either.

message 30: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments That's awesome. Thanks. Tristofer sounds like a man of taste.