Darynda Jones Fans discussion

13 views
TGDA Book Discussion > Day 10 - Week 2 - Questions ~ Angel, Angel!

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
What do you think of Angel in TGDA. Do you think there is more to him than meets the eye?


Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) | 609 comments Mod
I think there's a lot more to his story than we've seen so far.


message 3: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments There's definitely more since there has to be a reason why he doesn't want to cross through Charley. Or at least, I think there is.


Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) | 609 comments Mod
I wish we got to see more of him...hopefully we will in future books.


message 5: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
Ines and Traci, I agree there is more and I want to see more of him.


message 6: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Now thinking about it, I think Angel says something to Charley like him wanting to stay to look over his family (mother maybe?). I hope there's more to it though, he seems to be a great guy and he was there the night Charley met Reyes - maybe that wasn't coincidental.


Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) | 609 comments Mod
You're right Ines, he does like to look after his mother. And I didn't connect that he was there that first night Charley met Reyes until you just mentioned it...interesting, very interesting. :)


message 8: by Jowanna (new)

Jowanna  (pimpinreads) | 1 comments That was her first encounter with Angel, after seeing Reyes. I like Angel and I think he wants to stay around for his mom and he enjoys helping Charley.


message 9: by Candie (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
I really like Angel. He is her otherworldly sidekick. :-)


message 10: by Cindy (last edited Feb 24, 2012 05:20PM) (new)

Cindy (cindymac52) Actually Charley met Angel before she met Reyes as a teen. Angel is good, but he can be hard to find when she needs him sometimes and he hates to have anything to do with Reyes...like he knows more that he lets on...maybe he is watching Reyes for someone?


message 11: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Cindy wrote: "Actually Charley met Angel before she met Reyes as a teen. Angel is good, but he can be hard to find when she needs him sometimes and he hates to have anything to do with Reyes...like he knows mor..."

Charley ends up having a lot of guardians/spies! Rocket isn't too pleased about Reyes either.


message 12: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
Cindy wrote: "Actually Charley met angel before she met Reyes as a teen. Angel is good, but he can be hard to find when she needs him sometimes and he hates to have anything to do with Reyes...like he knows mor..."

Yes, she meets Angel on the same day as she sets eyes on Reyes. He tends to get on my nerves, but then I remember that he is just a teen. Do ya feel me?


message 13: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
Cindy wrote: "Actually Charley met angel before she met Reyes as a teen. Angel is good, but he can be hard to find when she needs him sometimes and he hates to have anything to do with Reyes...like he knows mor..."

Cin, get your counter for book 4 in the Grab Bag section.!


message 14: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
Jowanna Pimpin Reads wrote: "That was her first encounter with Angel, after seeing Reyes. I like Angel and I think he wants to stay around for his mom and he enjoys helping Charley."

Jowanna, I'm so glad to see you!


message 15: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindymac52) Dana wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Actually Charley met angel before she met Reyes as a teen. Angel is good, but he can be hard to find when she needs him sometimes and he hates to have anything to do with Reyes...lik..."

It's already on my blog! :b~~~~~~


message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindymac52) Angel seems like a good kid. But so did Charley's Dad. I don't know if Darynda has plans for Angel...but...could he be spying for Reyes' Dad? And Angel likes Charley so he's keeping his mouth shut???


message 17: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Cindy wrote: "Angel seems like a good kid. But so did Charley's Dad. I don't know if Darynda has plans for Angel...but...could he be spying for Reyes' Dad? And Angel likes Charley so he's keeping his mouth sh..."

I don't think he can be spying for Satan since apparently he's allowed to cross through Charley and that will give him access to Heaven, right?...


message 18: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
Ines wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Angel seems like a good kid. But so did Charley's Dad. I don't know if Darynda has plans for Angel...but...could he be spying for Reyes' Dad? And Angel likes Charley so he's keepin..."

Well, he hasn't crossed over. Satan could be using his his mom as a leeway in a larger master plan!
Hmmm, he was there the day Charley sees Reyes. This has possibilities.


message 19: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindymac52)
*singsong* He's up to something...


Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) | 609 comments Mod
It does make for an interesting theory but I hope not...or if he is that he comes clean to Charley. She doesn't need anyone else she's close to betraying again!


message 21: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Traci wrote: "It does make for an interesting theory but I hope not...or if he is that he comes clean to Charley. She doesn't need anyone else she's close to betraying again!"

I'm with you Traci, it would be another awful blow to Charley and she's the one sending money to Angel's mother. I hope he's just a sloppy helper.


message 22: by Mel (last edited Feb 24, 2012 05:54PM) (new)

Mel | 829 comments Dana wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Actually Charley met angel before she met Reyes as a teen. Angel is good, but he can be hard to find when she needs him sometimes and he hates to have anything to do with Reyes...lik..."

I like Angel too. Dana is correct...he is just like all the teen boys I work with. I often wonder where Angel disappears to? Is he simply looking over his mom? Or is he up to something else?

I remember Charlie met Angel the same night she was helping Gemma with her school project. It was the same night she met Reyes. I wonder if it is simply coincidence?

Angel was in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong group of kids and was killed by a stray bullet, correct?

In book 1, when Charlie was crying because she found out Zeke killed Rosie, Angel comforted her and tried to protect her by keeping Rosie's death from her. He told her she was in a better place and not to be sad.

Angel fears Reyes. Charlie could feel Angel's fear of Reyes even then. Reyes was sitting quietly waiting while Angel was talking to Charlie about Rosie. Reyes always comes when he feels her in any kind of turmoil. This scene always stood out to me. Could Reyes possibly force spirits who remain on Earth through free will into Hell? Maybe the ghosts fear he will make them leave? I am wondering why they are so afraid of Reyes. He has only done kind things to good people in his human form. Candie's curiosity and questions have my brain hurting. :-p


message 23: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
Mel wrote: "Dana wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Actually Charley met angel before she met Reyes as a teen. Angel is good, but he can be hard to find when she needs him sometimes and he hates to have anything to do wit..."

Wow, Mel, very interesting!


message 24: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Ines wrote: "Traci wrote: "It does make for an interesting theory but I hope not...or if he is that he comes clean to Charley. She doesn't need anyone else she's close to betraying again!"

I'm with you Traci, ..."


Traci and Ines, I totally agree...it would suck if Angel betrayed her too!!! I forgot Charlie was sending Angel's mom money. Thanks, Ines...I remember their agreement now. Do you take notes while you read, Ines? Or do you have a photographic memory? You rock, girl! I wish I could remember all you do. :-)


message 25: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Thanks Mel! I actually have no idea how it works, I'm horrible at remembering faces or names but count me in for music lyrics or stories I enjoyed - it just lingers in my head. I didn't remember for sure if it was his mother or other member of his family when we started discussing, though ;)


message 26: by Candie (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
Ines wrote: "Thanks Mel! I actually have no idea how it works, I'm horrible at remembering faces or names but count me in for music lyrics or stories I enjoyed - it just lingers in my head. I didn't remember fo..."

You are super lucky Ines! I can't remember anything about anything anymore! LOL :-)


message 27: by Candie (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
Mel wrote: "Ines wrote: "Traci wrote: "It does make for an interesting theory but I hope not...or if he is that he comes clean to Charley. She doesn't need anyone else she's close to betraying again!"

I'm wit..."


I would like to think that Angel is a good guy and he's around to help Charley out while he stays to take care of his mom. I don't' want to think that there could be more to it because it would stink for Charley to have another person take advantage of her.


message 28: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindymac52) Unfortunately it has to get very dark before dawn breaks...otherwise an HEA has no meaning. *sigh*


message 29: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Oh, have you seen the new post on Darynda's site? She wrote some of "to-do" for the next book:

To prove my point, here is part of my to-do list while working on Fourth Grave. (WARNING! There could be spoilers. I use a lot of initials, so the references may not be overt, but if you know the series, you will totally get who I’m talking about. Hope this doesn’t give too much away.) OH! And some of these scenes didn’t make the final cut, so don’t put too much stock in my list.

Here goes:

Kill F before the fire.
Add dead body to arson scene.
Leave getaway car running.
Have D tie Ch up to make his escape.
Have Ch’s gun disappear in hotel.
Leave duct tape in hotel room.
Don’t forget H’s clothes!
Hint about H: Inanimate objects are silent in death.
Look up ice cream.
Does BG stab or shoot her? Maybe a car bomb?


Do you think D is Donovan? I really hope she is not betrayed by him as well... though it would be a chance for Reyes to come to the rescue.


message 30: by Shaz (new)

Shaz Angel is a queit character around Reyes, wonder why????, but he's there for Charley as Mel said in Book 1 about Rosie's death, he kept it from her, maybe because of everything that just happened with Charley. Hope we see more of Angel, he sure has got a mouth on him. He's the eye's and the ear's of everything else for Charley, when she's on a mission, hope that also stays the same. :D


message 31: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Ines wrote: "Oh, have you seen the new post on Darynda's site? She wrote some of "to-do" for the next book:

To prove my point, here is part of my to-do list while working on Fourth Grave. (WARNING! There could..."


My, my I hope D is not Donovan. I want him assist Charlie in the war to come.


message 32: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Shazzywazzy10 wrote: "Angel is a queit character around Reyes, wonder why????, but he's there for Charley as Mel said in Book 1 about Rosie's death, he kept it from her, maybe because of everything that just happened wi..."

Shazzy...Angel is the eyes and ears but he doesn't always appear responsible to me. He disappears and I wonder where he is.


Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) | 609 comments Mod
I think a day in the life of Angel would make a good short story...we could see him on stakeout for Charley and find out where he goes when he disappears.


message 34: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Traci wrote: "I think a day in the life of Angel would make a good short story...we could see him on stakeout for Charley and find out where he goes when he disappears."

You're so right!


message 35: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
That's a great idea!


message 36: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Traci wrote: "I think a day in the life of Angel would make a good short story...we could see him on stakeout for Charley and find out where he goes when he disappears."

I hope Darynda reads your idea, Traci. I would love to read that short story! :-)


message 37: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (thirstyflea) | 223 comments I would love to see more of Angel! I also wonder what he is up to most of the time. He was already so much a part of Charley's life before we entered it, that we don't quite have the whole picture yet I think.

But I think Angel is avoiding Reyes because isn't he basically the gateway to hell, just as Charley is the gateway to heaven? Maybe Reyes appears to the dead like a big black hole or something? We know Rocket also tries to avoid him.

Mel- I totally liked where you were going when you said "Could Reyes possibly force spirits who remain on Earth through free will into Hell? Maybe the ghosts fear he will make them leave?" I don't think we really know that Angel is supposed to go through Charley, and since his past is a little questionable, maybe hell also wants him and he doesn't want to get sucked in? I don't know about Reyes forcing them to go, just as Charley doesn't force the dead to pass through her. Maybe it's simply the choice that Angel and Rocket fear...

Back to Angel- does he have a hidden agenda? Maybe. I don't really believe he's working against Charley though. She does pay him by sending the money he earns to his mother, and he seems to really like helping her in all the crazy messes she gets herself into- he is a teenager and an ex-gangbanger, after all. And he totally has a crush on her ;-)


message 38: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Stephanie wrote: "I would love to see more of Angel! I also wonder what he is up to most of the time. He was already so much a part of Charley's life before we entered it, that we don't quite have the whole picture ..."

Lots to think about, Stephanie...it makes the books fun!


back to top