Classics for Beginners discussion

Archive > A Tale of Two Cities-Book 2, Chapters 19-24

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily , moderator (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 772 comments Mod
This section was published in October, 1859.

message 2: by ☯Emily , moderator (new)

It is interesting that Dickens spends more than half of the book building up to the French Revolution and then briefly, in two and a half chapters, describes the beginning of the revolution and the highlights of the aftermath. The story of Darney and others then continues three years later. I would have expected more emphasis on these crucial topics.

message 3: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 92 comments I found that a little different also but I think it's because he wanted to focus on the main characters activities and his social commentary about the revolution and not be bogged down with the actual revolution.

Glad someone has something to say on these threads. I thought everyone gave up on the book. :)

message 4: by ☯Emily , moderator (new)

I was wondering if anyone was/is reading it. I set up the sections because several people expressed interest in reading and discussing the book.

message 5: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 92 comments I'm still in! I already read the entire book a while ago, so I was waiting to see what others had to say first. Maybe it's just us. :)

message 6: by ☯Emily , moderator (new)

I'm about to start Book the Third which several people have said is the best part of the book. I have enjoyed it so far, so I'm expecting this last part to be thrilling.

message 7: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 92 comments I loved the part of that book. It is wonderful. Can't wait to hear you thoughts. :)

message 8: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) Like Carrie, have already finished the book, just waiting to see what others have to say.