Erudite Readers discussion

Challenges > Hunger Games Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 253 (253 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (last edited Feb 24, 2012 12:17PM) (new)

Jon (scottreadsit) | 5707 comments Mod
We are starting our Chapter A Day Countdown.. each day we will discuss a chapter of the Hunger Games. We will finish the Hunger Games a day before the movie comes out. I think this is a good way to read the book before the movie. :) Participate daily to earn 12 points!

message 2: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new)

Michele C (mcgxo95) | 4897 comments Mod
I just finished the first chapter and I am so tempted to read more! First of all I love this chapter since it gives you the background of the 13 districts and the hunger games. It also reminds me why I loved Gale so much in this book! I can't believe he had 42 entries placed for the hunger games, Katniss had 20 and Prim only had 1 entry place placed...

message 3: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new)

1. Oh Vey.. Poor Prim! She had one entry and she got picked..The first chapter gives us the exposition of the Dark Days. The Hunger Games are created as punishment to the districts..This chapter is very somber and Effie Trinket seems pretty annoying. No wonder everyone in the Seam (District 11)seems pretty pissed off.

message 4: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new)

Scott wrote: "1. Oh Vey.. Poor Prim! She had one entry and she got picked..The first chapter gives us the exposition of the Dark Days. The Hunger Games are created as punishment to the districts..This chapter i..."

lol oh vey is right!

message 5: by Mazerunnergunner (last edited Feb 24, 2012 03:19PM) (new)

Mazerunnergunner (Rubberduckboy1) Who thinks Gale is a Goody two shoes? Prim is so small so weak and she already made it into the HGames
I dont get why The US would make the people live in districts. Weird! I finished the book 2 days ago . I am worried about that little girl, whats her name. Oh yeah Prim, she shouldn't be left home alone with that mother. She has only a mother no father. Imagine life with out one parent.How could you live with only one parent.I can't imagine that scene.I love the first chapter what a beginning.

message 6: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new)

Gale is deff not a goody two shoes! I think hes the opposite and yeah prim is described as small and weak! Yeah I see what you mean. I'm assuming it would be very difuclt to live with only one parent but i think the main point of this chapter is that prim was selected for the hunger games!!!

message 7: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new)

Michele, I have to disagree with you. The main point of this chapter is to show how horrible the Capital is. The Hunger Games are completely wicked, horrible, and evil yet no one does anything. Katniss is trying just to get by with her "so small so weak" sister Prim. Yet the Hunger Games make her life harder each year.. And to top it all off her mom isn't much of a mother.. The point of chapter 1 is to get us to feel bad for Katniss and sympathize with her.. that is all

message 8: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new)

Scott wrote: "Michele, I have to disagree with you. The main point of this chapter is to show how horrible the Capital is. The Hunger Games are completely wicked, horrible, and evil yet no one does anything. Kat..."

Hmm well that is a part of the chapter and well a major idea of the whole book but I still think the emphasis is on prim being placed on the hunger games!

message 9: by Karina (new)

Karina If I'm not taking part of the challenge can I still make comments?

message 10: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new)

Commenting is being part of the challenge.. you need to re-read the book you just should comment (for 12 points!!)

message 11: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new)

Scott wrote: "Commenting is being part of the challenge.. you need to re-read the book you just should comment (for 12 points!!)"

he means you can still comment about each chapter even if your not rereading it with us

message 12: by Karina (new)

Karina okay :)

message 13: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new)

Read Chapter two for today!

message 14: by Jay (new)

Jay That's cool that Peeta gave some bread to Katniss

message 15: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new)

Jay wrote: "That's cool that Peeta gave some bread to Katniss"

true that! i love bread and so does katniss

message 16: by Coletta (new)

Coletta Fuller | 80 comments I know. It's good that he does that because he didn't have to so I think he's really nice

message 17: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new)

Coletta wrote: "I know. It's good that he does that because he didn't have to so I think he's really nice"

yeah he does seem nice but I still don't really like peeta! I find him kind of dull and just annoying

message 18: by Mazerunnergunner (last edited Feb 25, 2012 02:56PM) (new)

Mazerunnergunner (Rubberduckboy1) Peeta seems like a person that cant survive on their own.Katniss might not like bread it didn't say that in the book. She was starving she would have ate anything edible.Katniss is such a nice girl having more than 20 entries. She probaly got a ton of wheat and oil! haha!

message 19: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new)

Dr. wrote: "Peeta seems like a person that cant survive on their own.Katniss might not like bread it didn't say that in the book. She was starving she would have ate anything edible."

Yeah true but still who doesn't like bread? It's honestly the best food and I don't get how anyone could just cut out carbs.

message 20: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new)

Peeta is better than Gale.. remember the Cave scene.. I feel bad for Peeta because Peeta loves Katniss but she can never love him back..

message 21: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new)

Nah..I can see why she would not love him back. He is boring and is nothing like the very fun and adventrous gale! Gale + Katniss = :)

message 22: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new)

No she can't love him back because she can't make her children go through what she went through.

message 23: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new)

Scott wrote: "No she can't love him back because she can't make her children go through what she went through."

Well that's what she says but I think it's more than that..

message 24: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new)

Oh you think but do you know..
"Only I keep wishing I could think of a way to...to show the Capitol they don't own me. That I'm more than just a piece in their Games" - Peeta
Favorite HG Quote!!
2. Peeta is chosen for the HG.. and Katniss reminisces how Peeta saved her sister and her mom. He dropped bread into the fire on purpose knowing he would be punished. He gave it to her and Katniss can't forget that.. This in my opinion is one of the most important parts of the book.. it sets the tensity between Peeta and Katniss later on!

message 25: by Mazerunnergunner (new)

Mazerunnergunner (Rubberduckboy1) In chapter 3 you know Katniss will wear her pin because its on the cover.Katniss really you haven't been on a car or a train.How do you get around? Do you walk everywhere?She must be in good shape if she walks everywhere.

message 26: by Michele, The bookoholic! (last edited Feb 26, 2012 12:13PM) (new)

Dr. wrote: "In chapter 3 you know Katniss will wear her pin because its on the cover.Katniss really you haven't been on a car or a train.How do you get around? Do you walk everywhere?She must be in good shape ..."

lol thats funny! I think she has more important things to be worried about than being thin :P

message 27: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new)

Michele.♥ wrote: "Dr. wrote: "In chapter 3 you know Katniss will wear her pin because its on the cover.Katniss really you haven't been on a car or a train.How do you get around? Do you walk everywhere?She must be in..."
Yeah like making sure she makes it out of the Games Alive

message 28: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 183 comments well, she's more likely to make it out alive if she's fit from walking everywhere, right?

message 29: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (the3jsmom) | 4 comments I am starting the challenge a little late since I left my book at work :( I can't wait to get started re-reading today

message 30: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new)

Kirby wrote: "well, she's more likely to make it out alive if she's fit from walking everywhere, right?"
Good point..
Chapter 3- was about the Mockingjay pin.. and was a little sentimental.. it talks about Mutts.. Not much really happens.

message 31: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new)

Chapter 4 starts off with the discussion of peeta and katniss taking care of Haymitch! Personally i don't like Haymitch

message 32: by Coletta (new)

Coletta Fuller | 80 comments I know. He is always drunk. I don't really blame him though.

message 33: by Jay (new)

Jay I thought it was cool when Katniss shot an arrow at the gamemakers.

message 34: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new)

Haymitch needs to get ahold of himself.. he's too reckless.. is peeta being nice taking care of him or is he kissing up to him??

message 35: by Grace (new)

Grace Domingo (aflighttothestars) | 6 comments There are times wherein I really liked Haymitch but those were rare, most of the time his attitude just annoyed me.

message 36: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new)

I think later in The Hunger Games.. Haymitch becomes pretty important helping Katniss get sponsers

message 37: by Michele, The bookoholic! (last edited Feb 28, 2012 01:02PM) (new)

Scott wrote: "I think later in The Hunger Games.. Haymitch becomes pretty important helping Katniss get sponsers"

true but so far in the book he just always drunk and not helpful at all. his only advice was to stay alive which is so obvious

message 38: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new)

Haymitch isn't so bad.. Effie is so frexing annoying.

message 39: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new)

this chapter was really good! It describes Peeta and Katniss getting ready to present themselves! I can't wait to see how their costumes will look in the movie

message 40: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 183 comments I loved haymitch...

message 41: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new)

Can't wait for the Midnight Premiere 22 days 13 hours 41 minutes!

message 42: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new)

Lilly wrote: "Can't wait too D:
I will go 1000 times to watch the movie, I swear!"

lol same :)

You don't have to read a chapter a day if you don't want to..you can always just comment it's cool :D

message 43: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new)

Haha!

message 44: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new)

Love this chapter also! Love that Katniss took action and shot an arrow where the Gamemakers where sitting!

message 45: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new)

Katniss! You scared the shiz of the GameMakers! That was frexing amazing :)

message 46: by Mazerunnergunner (new)

Mazerunnergunner (Rubberduckboy1) Lets make a debate.Who likes Peeta better Gale who likes Gale better than Peeta

message 47: by Mazerunnergunner (new)

Mazerunnergunner (Rubberduckboy1) Personally i like Gale better

message 48: by Mazerunnergunner (last edited Mar 02, 2012 01:55PM) (new)

Mazerunnergunner (Rubberduckboy1) I love Cinna like Cinnamon

message 49: by Michele, The bookoholic! (new)

Dr. wrote: "Lets make a debate.Who likes Peeta better Gale who likes Gale better than Peeta"

yeah! we should have a debate section

message 50: by Karina (new)

Karina kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Dr. wrote: "Lets make a debate.Who likes Peeta better Gale who likes Gale better than Peeta"

yeah! we should have a debate section"

I agree! I love debates!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6