Tudor History Lovers discussion

Won a Tudor Giveaway!!!

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise (last edited Feb 24, 2012 11:36AM) (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 88 comments I recently discovered the giveaways here on Goodreads and have entered eight of them so far, all that end in February, mostly mysteries. The first five ended without success for me, but I was just informed that I won the sixth, which is one of the ones I wanted the most! It is Winter King: Henry VII and the Dawn of Tudor England. I am really excited about this! I have had trouble finding biographies of Henry VII. I have one, but it looks very dry and I haven't talked myself into reading it yet. This one looks like it will be interesting!

Well, I was so excited I felt I just had to come and brag about it in the Tudor group!

Winter King Henry VII and the Dawn of Tudor England by Thomas Penn

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne (annecurrin) | 77 comments That's fantastic, Denise!!! My sister has won several books via the giveaways here....guess I need to start entering too! Congrats again!!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Oh, very nice, Denise! I signed up for that one, but didn't get it.

message 4: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 88 comments Thanks, everyone! I can't wait to get it!

message 5: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) | 11 comments Good for you! I've won 2, but haven't won anything for over 2 years now and I put in for books all the time.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments I always start on the "recently listed" page; that tends to make it shorter. I'll sometimes check out sorted by "popular authors," as well.

message 7: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 26 comments Congratulations ! Look forward to your review.

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara (saraphinasnape) | 13 comments Congratulations. I haven't entered approximately 52 Goodreads Giveaways since they started and have yet to win one.

Let us know how this one turns out. I'll go put it on my Tudor Bookshelf now!

message 9: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 88 comments It hasn't arrived yet, but I have to think it's coming soon!

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex (blaze68) | 1 comments It'd be cool if everyone just signed up to win books they really wanted to win vs signing up for every single listing. There'd be fewer entries of each giveaway and thus a better chance of winning.

message 11: by Anne (new)

Anne (annecurrin) | 77 comments Alex wrote: "It'd be cool if everyone just signed up to win books they really wanted to win vs signing up for every single listing. There'd be fewer entries of each giveaway and thus a better chance of winning."

I agree. I only want a book I know I'm going to read.

message 12: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Mod #4 (last edited Mar 25, 2012 03:48PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments I only sign up for ones I'd want to read, or at least try out. Or because I know someone else in the household likes the subject/author.

message 13: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) | 11 comments I only sign up for books that I know I'd read. Why sign up for something you know you'd never read? That just seems silly to me. Unfortunately, I haven't won anything in over 2 years. :(

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne (annecurrin) | 77 comments Gayle wrote: "I only sign up for books that I know I'd read. Why sign up for something you know you'd never read? That just seems silly to me. Unfortunately, I haven't won anything in over 2 years. :("

I haven't won any books either....but I'm hearing about some good ones I do want to read!!

message 15: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 88 comments I signed up for eight giveaways during the month of February, all of which I wanted to read. I feel very lucky to have won one, as I had only been a member for about a month. In one place, it just says that they select them at random, but in another it lists some things that they take into account, although it does seem a bit tongue-in-cheek. I don't know whether it had anything to do with my activity on the site; I've been enjoying a variety of features. I probably won't sign up for more until I receive this one and have read and reviewed it.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Anyone win a copy of Bring up the Bodies, the sequel to Wolf Hall? I did not, alas.

message 17: by Anne (new)

Anne (annecurrin) | 77 comments Susanna wrote: "Anyone win a copy of Bring up the Bodies, the sequel to Wolf Hall? I did not, alas."

Ohhhh, that would have been a cool book to win!!!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments I suspect I shall read it anyway! But to win it would have been very cool.

message 19: by Orsolya (new)

Orsolya (orsolya_d) | 138 comments I knee I wouldn't win... but tried anyway. Humph.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Kennedy | 51 comments Congratulations on the win! I'm new to Goodreads and the Tudor group . . . where do you find the giveaways? I seem to have looked everywhere.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments It's the second listing under "explore," in the row at the top of the page. Under Listopia.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Kennedy | 51 comments Thanks so much!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments No problem.

message 24: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 2 comments Stephanie wrote: "Anne wrote: "Susanna wrote: "Anyone win a copy of Bring up the Bodies, the sequel to Wolf Hall? I did not, alas."

Ohhhh, that would have been a cool book to win!!!"

I agree - no ..."

I still have to read Wolf Hall but would definitely have liked to have won the next book by Mantel.

Wolf Hall

message 25: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 88 comments It's been almost two months, and I'm starting to give up hope that it is coming at all...

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Have you mentioned it in your review space? I don't know if that would help or not.

message 27: by Denise (last edited Apr 18, 2012 05:40PM) (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 88 comments In the email, they said if it hadn't come in 30 days, to go to a link they gave and click that it hadn't arrived, so I did that. Once it's been 2 months, I'll see if I can update that, as it recorded the date I clicked it. But the books are sent by the publisher, and Goodreads disclaims responsibility, so I don't know if they can do anything, anyway.

Bummer! I still keep hoping every day, though.

message 28: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 88 comments Well, I finally received it today! I sent a message to the publisher who sponsored the giveaway, and they sent out a copy. Now, just to find the time to read it! I think it will be a while, as I am all booked up for a while (pun definitely intended - literally!).

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments That's great, Denise.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Kennedy | 51 comments I can't wait to hear whether you like this book! Please keep us updated! Denise wrote: "In the email, they said if it hadn't come in 30 days, to go to a link they gave and click that it hadn't arrived, so I did that. Once it's been 2 months, I'll see if I can update that, as it recor..."