The Sword and Laser discussion

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
This topic is about The Lies of Locke Lamora
2012 Reads > TLOLL: Audible or e-book?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tazzmann (new)

Tazzmann | 16 comments I am having trouble deciding whether I want to take this one in by way of e-book or audio. I do have an Audible credit available, but I am still on the fence regarding this one, and I really cannot put my finger on why that should be. I think part of it may be that from the sample chapters I read, the characters in this seem to have a good deal of depth, and if they are all read in similar voice, that may take away from the diversity of the characters when compared to the voice I would give them internally.I am not usually a huge stickler for things like that, but it really seems like it may make a difference here. Anyone have a particularly strong case one way or the other?

I do have a bit of time to decide, since I am currently working on the e-book of Snow Crash. Yes, I know, I am very late to the party on this one, but so far I am really enjoying it. It seems hard to believe this one has not been made into a movie yet!

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments I find the accents in the audiobook a little grating. I say go with the ebook.

Jill It took me a while to get into the audiobook (I'm about 5 hours in) but the accents have grown on me. The narrator does differentiate characters by voice well though the reading is a little 'hammed up' for my liking... it just feels a little bit am-dram... or maybe I have just been listening to too much Round the Horne lately :)

message 4: by aldenoneil (last edited Feb 24, 2012 12:53PM) (new) - added it

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Agree with both Kate and Jill. The narrator's good, but he definitely colors the piece, perhaps a bit too much for my liking. I found myself wondering if I wouldn't enjoy the e-book more, since I might take a different, more serious approach with my inner voice. The tone would be a mite darker with a sprinkling of humor, rather than humorous with a touch of darkness.

message 5: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments So I just hit up the compare prices thing for this book. I think this is busted though. It said the hardcover was 200 bucks new! So I think I will be looking for this as an ebook.

Leavey | 83 comments I've started with the e-book, but swiched to audio so I can listen to it while working.
I'm not really a fan of the narrator though. I don't know why, but I keep loosing track and have to rewind.
I think I'll just have to skip a little sleep and go back to the kindle version.

Noomninam Jim - The hardcover was probably a very short run, and came out years ago. I like hardcovers, too, and find a little persistence often pays off. Check the dealers on Amazon & eBay from time to time & you may find it for a few pfennigs, used or new. Meantime, I picked up the mass market paperback for eight bucks.

message 8: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob (shack) | 103 comments I'm doing the audiobook. I didn't like the narrator's accent at first but very quickly started to enjoy it. The narrator has done a descent job on Locke Lamora and I'm enjoying it now (32% done).

Louis (osiramon) | 60 comments I got the iBook version and there was on thing that bugged me. Each of the first parargraphs in chapter or numbered section is in large type, with remaining paragraphs all small. It doesn't seem to be a setting in the iBook app, so I was wondering if that was format in any of the other e-books or even physical books. I really do not like that formatting.

message 10: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Louis wrote: "I got the iBook version and there was on thing that bugged me. Each of the first parargraphs in chapter or numbered section is in large type, with remaining paragraphs all small. It doesn't seem ..."

It's not like that in the paperback.

terpkristin | 4135 comments Not like that in the Kindle version (Kindle app iPhone, Kindle Fire, and 2nd gen Kindle).

itrooper | 20 comments The audiobook narrator is not one of my favorites, but I didn't mind him in this one or the rest of the series. He will grow on you over time.

message 13: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam | 33 comments I'm only a few hours in to the audiobook, but am enjoying the narrator. In fact, I decided to use a credit on it from the 5 minute sample despite this being available from my local library. I'm actually switching back and forth or reading along.

message 14: by Armando (new)

Armando | 3 comments I discovered I can enjoy the best of BOTH worlds. I read my ebooks on my iPod. By going into "Settings>General>Accessibility>VoiceOver>On"
I can have the "Siri" voice narrate the book to me. Navigation takes some getting used to becaus every command requires a tap or swipe to locate desired TAB then a double tap to execute.
However beware the mistaken pronunciations ie. "Live" (as in Live and let Live) and "LIVE" (as in we're going live in 3,2,1).
Still I get through ebooks faster. I love my iPod!

Joseph | 2257 comments Noomninam wrote: "Jim - The hardcover was probably a very short run, and came out years ago. I like hardcovers, too, and find a little persistence often pays off. Check the dealers on Amazon & eBay from time to time..."

You might be seeing the listing for the Subterranean Press edition -- drop-dead gorgeous limited edition that I think listed for $75 when it was new.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments Louis wrote: "I got the iBook version and there was on thing that bugged me. Each of the first parargraphs in chapter or numbered section is in large type, with remaining paragraphs all small. It doesn't seem ..."

The Kindle version is not like that on Kindle Fire, Kindle App for iPad or Kindle app for iPhone. I have heard other complaints about bad formatting and errors in iBook versions. It might have something to do with the new EPUB(3) format that Apple is playing around with. I would avoid buying anything from the iBookstore.

Chris Haynes | 18 comments I actually did both the e-book and the audio book. I have an hour commute everyday so I listen to the audio book while driving and read the e-book at home. Keeping the two in sync is a pain in the butt sometimes but not too bad.

I liked the narrator quite a bit. I've listened to about 50 audio books now and found this narrator enjoyable. The fact that he used different accents for the different characters and added a little "flavor" to the reading was a bonus for me. There are a lot of narrators that don't do that so all the characters "sound" the same and I find the story dull and boring.

terpkristin | 4135 comments I do the audiobook and ebook thing a lot, just like Chris described. I'm not doing that for this book, though.

Raymond (railer) | 9 comments I was thinking about getting the Audible version at first, but I've still yet to really appreciate listening to a book compared to reading it. So i went with the e-book for this one.

message 20: by Stuart (new) - added it

Stuart (asfus) | 67 comments For me regardless of the book I prefer an e-book as I find that when I have used an Audible type book, such as in the car I get distracted by traffic. Also the price is usually greater with the Audible book.

Chris Haynes | 18 comments Stuart wrote: "For me regardless of the book I prefer an e-book as I find that when I have used an Audible type book, such as in the car I get distracted by traffic. Also the price is usually greater with the Aud..."

I agree you about being distracted by traffic. I can't listen to an audio book while driving in traffic. Luckily my commute is mostly highway so I set the cruise, turn on the audio book and my commute just flies by.

message 22: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill I just finished the end of the 2nd part of the audiobook this morning on the way in to work and I have to admit I have completely changed my tune about the narrator. I'm really enjoying it and now that we are in a more tense section with some big twists, he has been great

running_target (running_t4rg3t) | 52 comments I was on board with the narrator of the audio book after about 15 minutes. LOVE him. Master Thespian would be proud of his acting.

Seriously, he's great.

Random (rand0m1s) Chris wrote: "I agree you about being distracted by traffic. I can't listen to an audio book while driving in traffic. Luckily my commute is mostly highway so I set the cruise, turn on the audio book and my commute just flies by. "

Its my commute where I get the most out of audio books. But then, Seattle traffic usually consists of trying to stay awake with your foot on the break. Its not traffic as much as a parking lot. A good audio book can make it all go by so much faster. :)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments Random wrote: "Its my commute where I get the most out of audio books. But then, Seattle traffic usually consists of trying to stay awake with your foot on the break. Its not traffic as much as a parking lot. A good audio book can make it all go by so much faster. :) "

LA is just the same :) I average 45-60 minutes for my 25 mile commute so audio books work great for me.

Travis | 24 comments I am going e-book. I use any listening time for podcasts.

Philip Walton (thorthumb) | 4 comments Really pleased I went with the audio book and loved the narrator. I enjoyed the thespo luvvie bacon flavoured delivery and I believe it certainly contributed to my emotional state toward the finale of the book. Excellent stuff.

Charlotte | 25 comments I agree with Philip. When I first started listening to the audiobook I was on the fence about the narrator but he quickly won me over. I thought his voices added even more character to the book and if I would of just read it I think it may of been a completely different experience.

Philip Walton (thorthumb) | 4 comments I see at Audible they've kept the narrator for the second instalment. I guess I'm locked in for the entire series now.

message 30: by Griselle (new)

Griselle Santos (googie01) | 4 comments I only use audio books when I'm driving long distances.

message 31: by Scott (last edited Mar 27, 2012 08:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott | 1 comments I've listened to both books on Audible and I love the narrator. Sometimes you have to get used to a narrator. The first time I listened to Scott Brick I didn't really like him but now he's one of my favorites (he's a master of the narrative). Ray Dotrice who narrates Song of Ice and Fire is one of the best narrator/actors I've ever heard but he can't do female voices very well. Stephen King is one of the worst narrators I've listened to but it was nonetheless fun hearing it from the author's viewpoint. Scott Lynch's narrator (Michael Page) is very competent at both the narrative and doing voices for both sexes. I look forward to Book 3 in 2012.

message 32: by Ron (new) - added it

Ron (thatron) | 2 comments If it wasn't for audio books, I probably would read virtually zero books. So ya, my vote would be for audio.