Beyond Reality discussion

More Than Honor (Worlds of Honor, #1)
This topic is about More Than Honor
SERIES—List & Discussions > Honor Harrington--More Than Honor (Anthology) - An Honorverse Side Read

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (last edited Feb 24, 2012 09:47AM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) As promised, here is a thread for our optional side read of More Than Honor.

Contents:

- "A Beautiful Friendship" by David Weber.
- "A Grand Tour" by David Drake.
- "A Whiff of Grapeshot" by S.M. Stirling
- "The Universe of Honor Harrington" by David Weber

That last one is a "deep background" essay. Hmmm. Sounds like a probable infodump bonanza.

The first story was recently expanded into a full length novel, A Beautiful Friendship.

This anthology was published on the heels of In Enemy Hands, so I thought this would be a good time to introduce it for possible discussion. Again, it's optional. But if you need an Honor fix, this might be what you need.

*Please mark spoilers for these stories.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I enjoyed A Beautiful Friendship, but only gave it 3 stars since it was so similar to the rest of the books. All the main characters just had name changes.

I've never read an Honor story written by anyone else. I've read other books by Drake & Stirling certainly sounds familiar, but I don't see any books of his I've read. I'll be curious what others think of their offerings.

message 3: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathi | 3085 comments Mod
Thanks for adding this thread. This book (More Than Honor) is my next read.

Lindsey | 370 comments Thanks for starting a thread for this one! I'm almost done with my re-read.

"A Beautiful Friendship" is a fun story, IMO. Of course, Weber would make the first "bonded" human Honor Harrington's ancestor (although I wonder how HH still has the last name, since Manticoran society seems to follow the patriarchal family name tradition... maybe Stephanie has a brother later?). Nonetheless, I loved the insight into treecat society. Up to this point in the series, the most we knew about them was that they're sentient, that females rarely venture off Sphinx, and that they live for hundreds of years. This story revealed much more about their social dynamics and lifestyles. I don't really plan to read the full length novel based on this story; I feel like it would just be a longer version of the same plot, which is unnecessary. I am looking forward to more discussion about the later short stories which give a lot more insight into treecat motives.

"A Grand Tour" was mostly a head-scratcher. It's sort of peripherally about the Manticoran-PRH war but the number of "factions" was unnecessarily complicated and the Alphanes story line seemed to go nowhere.

"A Whiff of Grapeshot" read like it was a couple of missing chapters from the early part of In Enemy Hands. Interesting that it was written by a different author; I felt that it had absolutely no tone difference from the main series. I do feel that it revealed a little something about Esther McQueen's motives and plans that we do not get from the main series.

"The Universe of Honor Harrington" is an infodump, in the sense that any non-fiction essay is an infodump. It does contain some good background info on the timing of the series and the technology innovations that lead to the main conflict. It's not really necessary to the series but, for me at least, it gives a better context of why this war is being fought.

message 5: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lindsey summed up my reactions pretty well--Thanks for saving me the typing!

I, too, feel like I have a much fuller understanding of treecat society after reading "A Beautiful Friendship". And the Harrington homestead is where Honor grew up-another nice connection. I want to learn more about the Singers.

I also agree that "A Grand Tour" seemed awfully removed from the Honorverse, even though it takes place there and there is a slight connection to the ongoing war. I would like to know more about the Alphanes, however.

I thought "A Whiff of Grapeshot" was a great look at the Leveller's uprising and the PRH Naval action to subdue it, thanks to Esther McQueen. And, although I hate to admit it, this is the first time Pierre's name really clicked in my brain (Rob S. Pierre--thank you, author Stirling, for writing it that way several times for those of us who are slow on the uptake!).

As for the info dump--I skimmed the parts about FTL development but found the settlement histories and socio-political backgrounds of Manticore, Haven, and the Solarian League very informative.

Does anyone know if the collection Worlds of Honor should be read at this point, too, or later in the series?

Thanks!

Lindsey | 370 comments Kathi wrote: "Lindsey summed up my reactions pretty well--Thanks for saving me the typing!..."

LOL you're welcome! Glad I wasn't totally off the mark.

Ha, the Rob S. Pierre thing hit me like a ton of bricks somewhere about this point when I first read these. Definitely a "duh" moment for me! (view spoiler)

Worlds of Honor was published after Echoes of Honor (#8). I don't remember if there's anything spoiler-ific in those stories or not. I do remember some background stories and a really good, non-Harrington treecat story. If you want to see the publication date order, Goodreads has it listed here.

message 7: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lindsey wrote: "Worlds of Honor was published after Echoes of Honor (#8). I don't remember if there's anything spoiler-ific in those stories or not. I do remember some background stories and a really good, non-Harrington treecat story. If you want to see the publication date order, Goodreads has it listed here. "

Great, thanks!

message 8: by Jon (last edited Mar 09, 2012 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I actually liked all three of these stories (more so than I liked the novel I just finished - In Enemy Hands). And while the second short story did seem to be a bit pointless, I nonetheless loved the Alphones subplot. I'm a sucker for ancient alien archeology (why else would I have spent all those hours watching Stargate?).

I skipped most of the infodump appendix. I think it was reused from a previous publication (one of the earlier books) or perhaps I read it as part of the CD. I did brush up on my Manticoran and PRH early history though.

Lindsey | 370 comments Jon wrote: "I'm a sucker for ancient alien archeology (why else would I have spent all those hours watching Stargate?). "

Ha ha, me, too. It did sort of have a "Daniel Jackson makes a breakthrough about the Ancients" feel, didn't it?

message 10: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 3 stars

Are we going to have a side discussion for Worlds of Honor, another collection of Honorverse stories by Weber and others? And if so, where in the series does it fall?

message 11: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments Kathi wrote: "Are we going to have a side discussion for Worlds of Honor, another collection of Honorverse stories by Weber and others? And if so, where in the series does it fall?"

I lean towards publication order, only because I'm in the midst of reading this series for the first time and don't know any better. That being said, I need to determine what the publication order is and where Worlds of Honor fits in with the rest of the series.

So, I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Lindsey | 370 comments Publication Order, including all the short story collections and off-shoot series (which will tie back in with the book being published this year).

Worlds of Honor was published after #8, Echoes of Honor.

message 13: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments Lindsey wrote: "Publication Order, including all the short story collections and off-shoot series (which will tie back in with the book being published this year).

Worlds of Honor was published after #8, Echoes o..."

So it should come next, or be a side read?

Lindsey | 370 comments Jon wrote: "So it should come next, or be a side read? "

Umm... I would say Worlds of Honor should be a side read, as should the other short story collections. They fill in some blanks but aren't absolutely necessary to the main series.

However, if I had a vote (and this would be a great idea to put to the group), I think the related books (there are 4) should be read in order as "main" books. Based on reactions to this point, I think this group would enjoy getting "away" from Honor Harrington the character a bit and those 4 books do impact the main storyline.