Queer books discussion

Let's pick a book!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Michael There are 2 books I've never read but both come highly recommended by friends. I was wondering if there is any interest in reading and discussing either one... or if there are some other ideas. I'm open... Whatdaya think?

--"Call Me by Your Name" by Andre Aciman

--"The Charioteer" by Mary Renault

Michael

message 2: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Michael Come on... ! What are people reading? What would be a good book to discuss? I'm almost finished with "Call Me by Your Name" by Aciman, but am really interested in what others might be reading?

Michael

message 3: by Kat (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Kat (aliceinlove) | 1 comments Well i haven't found very many good books out there but have you ever heard of manga? If not go to the bookstore and go to graphic novels and find the books with the "Yaoi" warning on them. Those are really good and cute gay comics. If you're intrested

message 4: by Elfscribe (new)

Elfscribe | 7 comments Hi Michael,
The Charioteer is a wonderful book: subtle, insightful. There is lots of detailed discussion of it on the LJ group called maryrenaultfics. Here: http://community.livejournal.com/mary...

Also you mentioned Jamie O'Neill's At Swim, Two Boys which is another stunning work, similar in theme to The Charioteer in that both deal with young men coming to terms with their homosexuality with a backdrop of turbulent times. In the case of the Charioteer, it is England of WWII. In At Swim, it is the Irish uprising against British rule in 1916.

I haven't read Call Me by Your Name. Should I?

message 5: by Marpesia (new)

Marpesia | 1 comments I haven't heard of either of those books...but I am willing to read either.....I too am open...

message 6: by Clara Rae (new)

Clara Rae | 2 comments can anyone recommend any books? it help out alot. i am always lookin but rarely find any.

message 7: by Tierney (new)

Tierney (tierdear) | 1 comments I am interested in reading The Charioteer. I know there's a copy at my school I can pick uo tomorrow.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael I'm planning on picking up The Charioteer this weekend. Maybe for those interested we can have a discussion of it.

Michael

message 9: by Clara Rae (new)

Clara Rae | 2 comments Started reading Fingersmith by Sarah Waters.
cant explain it cuz i havent finished the book but it one of those books i cant seem to put down

check it out some of ther other work.

message 10: by Skip (new)

Skip | 4 comments I'm about halfway through "The Charioteer," and an amazing read. I'm really enjoying it.
I love the WWII-era English mannerisms, the richly intelligent writing and the internal struggles of so many of the characters. There's plenty going on, and the language can at-times be a bit fussy, almost as if you're reading through a scrim....

message 11: by Ted (new)

Ted (efcorson) I found “Boys, Lost and Found” by Charles Castillo completely engrossing. Casillo has written a really engaging collection of short stories, interspersed with some factual first-person narratives. His writing is crisp, entertaining, and a quick read. His portraiture is always astute, whether describing a horny number in a bar, a true love object, or a group of queens at a Starbucks -- hot young guys who are growing older by the minute. The protagonists are young men. The antagonists are their older well-heeled lovers whom they crave. And, the result? Well, no spoilers here! Themes in the stories include gay sex, love, self-love, loneliness, self-esteem, kindness, decency, humiliation, aging, and the effect of glam lifestyles on gay relationships. At heart, though, “Boys, Lost and Found” is really about longing, in the sense of irrepressible, uncontrollable desire.

Some favorite lines:

“This was only sex, I tried to reason. Only another man and his body. But I couldn’t help myself. I had been dead. Now I was alive.”

“I have a tendency to think too much. This is something that, after much thought, I’ve concluded is wrong.”

“The one you love first always makes an imprint. All the others that come after will have to, in some ways, match up to the first one.”

message 12: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (nitesead) Just finished, a couple days ago, Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin. It's a classic, of course, so that probably means a lot of folks have already read it.

It's brilliant, and depressing, but not because of the gay topic. It's not a morbid "all gays are doomed" kind of novel, which is amazing for the 50s in my opinion. The depressing stuff happens because of the specific choices the narrator makes.

As sad as the book is, I found a bit of hope in it. I think I found it in Giovanni's faith in gay love in spite of what was going on around him. And in his faith in the narrator.

Frankly, the beautiful writing alone makes it worth the read.

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I'm reading a memoir called "My Miserable,Lonely, Lesbian Pregnancy" by Andrea Askwoitz

message 14: by Cassiel (new)

Cassiel | 23 comments I just today started At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O'Neill (which has been on my to be read list forever).

message 15: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (nitesead) "At Swim, Two Boys"...I tried to read it but couldn't get anywhere. Was very difficult...I recall the problem may have been dialect? Anyway, I need to try it again. Everyone seems to love it.

I'm personally planning to look into all the recommendations here for reading, though like most people my "to read" list is enormous.

message 16: by Cassiel (new)

Cassiel | 23 comments Yes, the language, the culture, the era... O'Neill has written a real challenge. But after only about 100 pages or so, I've already laughed a lot and almost cried several times.

I wanted to remark about Giovanni's Room, which I only read for the first time a couple of months ago; it completely demolished all of the expectations that I had of it, hearing about it for so many years. I adore it when a book really surprises me.

I didn't love either Go Tell it on the Mountain, or Giovanni's Room when I was reading them, but I am totally in love with Baldwin as an author.

message 17: by Skip (new)

Skip | 4 comments I realize the problems people have getting into "At Swim Two Boys," and I've read it twice. Yes, it takes a little bit to get into, but so worth it.
It's a beautiful story about young love, and all told against this other-worldly and turbulet backdrop that is Ireland in the early 1900s.

I just cant help but to recommend it.

message 18: by Skip (new)

Skip | 4 comments I was somewhat emotionally exhausted after I finished both "Call Me By Your Name" and "The Charioteer."

Discuss: where do we start?

S.

message 19: by Robin (new)

Robin (therobinreardon) | 6 comments At the risk of seeming immodest, I'd love to recommend THINKING STRAIGHT (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22...). It's my second novel. Here's the plot summary:
Taylor Adams is a Christian, gay teenager whose parents send him to a summer camp designed to straighten him out. Over the course of the story, he manages to figure out how to remain true both to himself and to his religion. He learns to think strategically about religion. He learns that it's all about love, and he does that in a very surprising way.

I have read CALL ME BY YOUR NAME. It was not exactly a page-turner for me, but that's not necessarily bad. Aciman wove a slow, intricate texture that snuck up on me and left me unprepared for the kick-to-the-gut ending. You could either call this uneven or very artful writing, and I don't know which I'd choose; but the overall impression was powerful and deep.

message 20: by Cassiel (new)

Cassiel | 23 comments After finishing At Swim, Two Boys, I wanted to remark that it is a very good book, thought provoking.

Beyond the love story, there are so many themes; love/lust/power, class conflict, homosexuality/ephebophilia, human rights/law, free thought/religion...

And the writing is marvelous.

message 21: by Jason (new)

Jason All of these suggestions are great, but unfortuantely I can't take advantage of any of them. My income has always been slim, and I don't have any 'extra cash' with which to buy books. Is there any way we could set up a book share? That would be a lot cheaper, and allow more people to read these books. If not, is there anywhere that I could rent these books online? I'd love to review a few of them.

message 22: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Jason, there are a couple of great trading sites you may want to check out that are free:

PaperbackSwap

BookMooch

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason Thanks for the links. I'll be sure to browse through those sites.

message 24: by Victor (new)

Victor J. (VictorJBanis) | 9 comments I long ago retitled that book Giovanni and the Temple of Gloom. He was a brilliant writer, but like so many books of that era it was essentially dishonest in depicting only the ugly side of gay life. Trust me, it wasn't all like that.

Victor

message 25: by Victor (new)

Victor J. (VictorJBanis) | 9 comments I like Paperback Swap because it allows me to get lots of books for very little. Like you, I'm on a limited income, and the 25 cent table at my senior center doesn't have much of gay interest.

If you'd like to read one of my novels, I'd be happy to send you a doc.file. I would not want anyone to miss my deathless prose for financial reasons. Check my website at http://www.vjbanis.com V. J. Banis books are straight, Victor J. Banis books gay (some overlap, of course. Hard to categorize a cookbook)

Victor J. Banis

message 26: by Jason (new)

Jason Thanks, Victor. I’ll see if I can send you my email. It’d be greatly appreciated.