KBF Irregulars discussion

So, here we have a completely empty space

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) What should we fill it with?

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) what are you reading now thread? I like edwards book of the day discussions...maybe set up a folder for that

message 3: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) Dee wrote: "what are you reading now thread? I like edwards book of the day discussions...maybe set up a folder for that"

I like that, too.

How about some genre based favorite author threads?

Or some challenge threads -- I've see a fair number of "dusty bookshelf" threads where people challenge themselves to read a specific number of the books that have been sitting around for a while. With a 400+ TBR list, I could use that!

message 4: by Char (new)

Char Dee wrote: "what are you reading now thread? I like edwards book of the day discussions...maybe set up a folder for that"

I would enjoy both of these suggestions.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) i do like challenges ;) specially kill the TBR one...maybe something using a randomizer (like on random.org)...input the number of books on your GR or real shelf and read the book that corresponds with the number that shows up on the randomizer

message 6: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) Dee wrote: "i do like challenges ;) specially kill the TBR one...maybe something using a randomizer (like on random.org)...input the number of books on your GR or real shelf and read the book that corresponds..."

Oh, I super like this idea. Especially since my TBR shelf is already nicely numbered here on GR.

message 7: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) Sean wrote: "One day, I woke up and realized my to be read pile wasn't to be read at all. It was really my pile of books which I felt I should want to read but didn't.

At any given moment, I will always be ab..."

I want to read everything in my TBR pile. I just don't have time.

message 8: by HJ (new)

HJ (hjleonard) I used to have no TBR pile as I read them as soon as I got them. Now, I'm behind by nearly 100 books (mostly to the forums and GR). I do want to read all of them, when I finally find the time.

message 9: by Char (new)

Char It's hard to do that Sean. I finally realized a decade or so back that I was wasting time finishing books that I wasn't enjoying. So, I instituted a 10% rule. If I don't like the book by then (and sometimes I will be generous and give it up to 20%) then I'm done with it and I refuse to feel bad about it. There are many good books still to be read. Too many to waste time on something bad.

message 10: by Char (new)

Char HJ wrote: "I used to have no TBR pile as I read them as soon as I got them. Now, I'm behind by nearly 100 books (mostly to the forums and GR). I do want to read all of them, when I finally find the time."

HJ, I can hardly even 'talk' to you without being distracted by that picture. That's the one that Ed should've used! LOL

message 11: by Char (last edited Feb 24, 2012 12:10PM) (new)

Char I have a suggestion. How about a KBF Irregulars Lounge? It could be a place to just hang out and chat about whatever.

message 12: by HJ (new)

HJ (hjleonard) Charlene wrote: "I have a suggestion. How about a KBF Irregulars Lounge? It could be a place to just hang out and chat about whatever."

I like that suggestion. An 'Anything Goes' kind of place just to chat about whatever.

message 13: by Char (new)

Char *sigh* I can't look at what you wrote, HJ...I'm too distracted by that pic again. : )

message 14: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) Yes, HJ, who the hell is that? Because he is hot.

message 15: by HJ (new)

HJ (hjleonard) Christine wrote: "Yes, HJ, who the hell is that? Because he is hot."

It's just a photo I found when I lived overseas. I have no idea who he is, but I just love looking at his picture, and then, of course, allowing all of my friends to drool over it as well. Sounds like it's working, lol!

message 16: by Char (new)

Char *gazing at picture* excuse me, what? LOL

message 17: by Violet (new)

Violet Patterson | 12 comments Mod
I have an insanely long TBR list and it keeps growing, but I am working on Kelly's collection right now because she is awesome and I heart her. I have Remi's and J's on my list and a dozen or so others from the forums.

message 18: by G. (new)

G. | 5 comments Mod
Charlene wrote: "It's hard to do that Sean. I finally realized a decade or so back that I was wasting time finishing books that I wasn't enjoying. So, I instituted a 10% rule. If I don't like the book by then (and ..."

I love the 10% rule. Right now, I am about at the same level of tolerance. My time is worth so much more then a carpy book, and 10% is quite reasonable IMHO. Anything over that, then I feel like I am hitting my head against the wall; the chances of said book getting markedly better after this point is pretty darned slim!

message 19: by Char (new)

Char G. wrote: "Charlene wrote: "It's hard to do that Sean. I finally realized a decade or so back that I was wasting time finishing books that I wasn't enjoying. So, I instituted a 10% rule. If I don't like the b..."

I can only think of one book that I might've missed out on had I had the rule in force back then and that is Ghost Story by Peter Straub. It took a while to get going and I set it down more than once, but when I finally kept going it paid off in spades.
OTOH, I can think of many hours wasted on books that turned out to be total crap.

message 20: by G. (new)

G. | 5 comments Mod
That's funny that you mention Ghost Story. I read it years ago, and also have memories of a slow start. I have to say that with a full price trade pub, the 10% rule gets thrown out the window if it is an author I have enjoyed in the past. I should have put that as a caveat ;)

message 21: by Char (new)

Char Full price trade pubs are a bit out of my league.
Though I make exceptions maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Last year I think I bought a total of 4 and they were all well worth it.
If I did pay that much, I would probably feel the need to finish it.

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) if you want, I can throw up a book fixes needed thread, so if you guys (authors or not) see stuff that needs fixing (page numbers, series etc)...someone can fix them. In order to be a GR librarian you have to have at least 50 books on your shelves

message 23: by G. (new)

G. | 5 comments Mod
I tend to be a bargain freak when it comes to the trade-pubs. "Neverwhere" was a book I picked up when it was on sale? I tend to go through an author's older books to find my bargains. The Rook was a recent book that I did pay full price for because I just couldn't help myself! I am trying not to do this very often because I have such a great TBR list to look forward to, that lately it has been very hard to justify the full priced eds. I am looking at the new Anne Rice book and drooling a bit, but I think I will wait until the price goes down a bit, or I have made a dent in my seemingly endless TBR list.

message 24: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (ameliaat) I didn't want to start a new thread, and I wasn't sure whether we had a "just chat"/lounge thread, so I thought I'd just post here. :)

I spent a lot of the day working on formatting for a cookbook. And I've not even gotten to the Kindle formatting yet. I'm succumbing to friends' and family's pretty constant hectoring to make a cookbook (the nagging has accelerated over the past few years). Thing is, making a cookbook is not the same as giving someone recipes and chatting with them about how to make the dishes correctly and how to adjust seasoning or whatever, or spending time teaching someone how to do something in the kitchen. I'm afraid they'll all be disappointed in the results.

However, the thing that finally got me motivated to do this is as a "practice run" for publishing on Kindle. I figure it's a good exercise, my family & friends will be happy (for a little while, until they bug me for another one), and I can get some experience before I publish something else.

I am now feeling really cross-eyed after spending too long at the computer today doing various things related to the recipe book, including formatting one section completely. So I deserve a break. So say I, anyway. I'm trying to decide between a video and a book (on my K).

message 25: by HJ (new)

HJ (hjleonard) Amelia wrote: "I didn't want to start a new thread, and I wasn't sure whether we had a "just chat"/lounge thread, so I thought I'd just post here. :)

I spent a lot of the day working on formatting for a cookbook..."

Wow, long day! I vote, 'read a book.' That's what I'm heading off to do myself (as always).

message 26: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (ameliaat) HJ wrote: Wow, long day! I vote, 'read a book.' That's what I'm heading off to do myself (as always).

I'm starting off with a glass of Merlot and some bread and cheese. I'm relaxing already. :) Then I think a book sounds good. I can't think of a video I really want to watch, but I have about a half dozen books calling my name at the moment!